3.7 Tuneup Advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 3.7 Tuneup Advice

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
Slivs18
2008 WK 

3.7 Tuneup Advice

So I bought this thing last September and I'm back into full DIY mode. It's a 2008 with 60K on the clock. It was a highway vehicle before I bought it and "maintained." My dealer bought it at auction and he has been my goto guy, before you ask we are friends and have a history together so I trust him. The only problem I have with it is a intermittent rough down shift. These shifts have been very intermittent and I can't replicate them, but when they happen it sounds like I'm gonna drop my tranny, it's usually off an acceleration and a let off of the gas. Any advise would be appreciated. I told my buddy and he has been changing a quart or two of fluid at a time by sucking it out and replacing it. I've had mixed results as the banging goes away and eventually comes back. It's not alarming to me since it doesn't happen every day, but I wanna hear what you guys think. Regardless, I wanna change spark plugs (gap requirements?), full tranny fluid, maybe transfer case, oil (obviously), and anything else you guys can think of?

Unread 07-29-2012, 12:28 AM   #2
kllshadow
2006 WK 

Don't forget the diff fluids WKJeeps.com has all the fluid part numbers and amounts needed
Black WK Club Member #61
kllshadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
Drew
2007 WK 

I've always done 30k major service intervals with all my vehicles and typically go 200k+ before parting with each of them. So IMHO your right on track at 60k. Do plugs, filter, and all the serviceable fluids.

The rough downshift your talking about on the tranny. Are you sure it's not an upshift as you let off the throttle? If you accelerate and then let off the gas it will give a bit of a "bang" shifting?
If this is what your talking about, try this. Disco the battery terminals for a few minutes and go from there. Mine will start to do this about once a year, but after discoing the battery it will be fine for awhile. I think it has something to do with the way the tranny is learning driving habits. I drive pretty hard as I use my Jeep for work so I'm pretty hard on/off the peddle. I think the tranny is just shifting quick and it will bang once in awhile when I'm not driving it so hard or when I let off the gas quick....
Doug
Unread 07-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
Slivs18
2008 WK 

Thanks for the advise. Now that you mention it it has happened on an acceleration and let off as well as the downhill coast. Battery was off this week while I installed the CAI, so we'll see if that works.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.