3.7 sputtering/stalling at stop, occassional surge at idle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 3.7 sputtering/stalling at stop, occassional surge at idle

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 06-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
meep
2008 WK 

3.7 sputtering/stalling at stop, occassional surge at idle

anybody seen this with the 3.7? I know it's not uncommon with the other engines.

sputters at idle, starts idling low, like 500rpm. sometimes it'll drop and die or nearly die. no codes, no lights, dash stays powered up.

TB was clean, but I removed it anyway to thoroughly clean it. shocked to discover that it's plastic.

disassembled the tps. there is no wiper like older tps... looks to be magnetic (no wear parts). clean as a whistle.

occasionally it will sputter then grab 800+ rpms, bad if you are backing into a parking space or creeping forward in traffic. I've had to jab the brakes quickly to prevent scooting forward into traffic in front of me.

I thought of grounding the TB like others have done. Well, on a 3.7 at least, it can't make a difference. the entire casing is plastic, and the little metal bits at the mounting holes don't go anywhere.

So... no codes, dash stays lit (so not ign switch), plugs have under 15k on them (champion), oil is good, air filter is decent, battery is new.

Fuel pressure at idle is 55psi, checked with mechanical gauge.

It has stalled once when I pressed a button on the steering wheel for the evic. Like, I pressed the button and BAM, it immediately shut down at that very moment and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree, including the security lamp, and I don't have the alarm in mine....

ideas?

meep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2012, 06:23 AM   #2
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

whats the mileage on her?
Unread 06-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
Luck06
2006 WK 

Interesting, they must have changed TB's on the 3.7 at some point cause the one in my '06 is aluminum. I also have some occasional surging at idle as well, but not near as bad as yours thankfully. I've cleaned the TB, replaced the plugs, airfilter, etc. Thinking it might be related to the fuel system, not sure.
Luck06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck06 View Post
Interesting, they must have changed TB's on the 3.7 at some point cause the one in my '06 is aluminum. I also have some occasional surging at idle as well, but not near as bad as yours thankfully. I've cleaned the TB, replaced the plugs, airfilter, etc. Thinking it might be related to the fuel system, not sure.
changed it in 07
Unread 06-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
meep
2008 WK 

47k miles. kinda young. i'm wondering if its related to the trans, after seeing other posts on trans binding.

this has happened a few times... set cruise at 45 on level road. road makes slight rise. trans downshifts, engine lugs, growls, starts working harder, engine starts a low roar, then /slignshot/! something "lets go" and I'm hurtled from 35 to 50 mph. It happened several times last year-- and I sort of just thought "well whatever" and went on. it doesn't happen often enough to be able to repeat it. I wonder if it's related.

Reading all of the posts in another thread, I'm getting pretty nervous. It's bogged down/stumbled badly once recently after pulling onto a busy road and traffic swerved to avoid me. no codes, or course.
Unread 06-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
LordEnki
2006 WK 

Possible vacuum leak? Intake manifold gasket or vac line somewhere.
245/65R17 BFG Rugged Trail T/A
LordEnki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
baggee
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordEnki View Post
Possible vacuum leak? Intake manifold gasket or vac line somewhere.
No.That stuff generates codes - like lambda sensor or lambda adaptation.Did you checked codes on transmission and central electronics box?
baggee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
4thgradedropout

im having the same problem as well minus the surging part. if i pull into a sparking spot put it in park and sit for a minute it will go to about 400 then back to normal then down to 400 and then back to normal. i just purchased this about a month ago with no warranty so kinda pissing me off a bit, has 114k on her
4thgradedropout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
meep
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggee View Post
No.That stuff generates codes - like lambda sensor or lambda adaptation.Did you checked codes on transmission and central electronics box?
can you do that? i just did the key dance, found nothing.

??
Unread 06-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #10
BonesWK
Web Wheeler

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thgradedropout View Post
im having the same problem as well minus the surging part. if i pull into a sparking spot put it in park and sit for a minute it will go to about 400 then back to normal then down to 400 and then back to normal. i just purchased this about a month ago with no warranty so kinda pissing me off a bit, has 114k on her
This issue is the same as mine I had a year ago, exactly the same. 400 rpms to like 1200 in a looping pattern while in park or stopped at a stop light. Look into changing your Throttle Position Sensor.

30 mins and 30 bucks to change
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
BonesWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #11
meep
2008 WK 

been reading alot, and my symptoms are growing. seems that a weak CPS can cause this without throwing a code. I may swap this out as a try-and-see. also the main engine harness, at the tune of $400. not going to spend $400-- harnesses don't just "fail" so I checked connections on various sensors, reseated them. The CPS is positioned in a manner such that oil that weeps out of its hole flows right into the connector. I could see this as a strong cause--- so I cleaned it as best I could and reconnected. too bad I can't drive it today, see #2 below...

Add to this list of symptoms.

1. new: high idle lump during deceleration.... engine bucks and shakes at ~800-1200 rpm during deceleration below 20 mph, not every time, once per day.

2. new: strong fuel smell, perhaps passenger side of engine, comes and goes. No puddling, MPG is actually UP by a full 1.3 mpg since cleaning the TB, which wasn't dirty to start with (reseated connectors during removal??). Test port is dry and all injectors look dry. It's not enough of a leak to expect pooling, but it's enough that you can't roll up the windows and run the A/C.

I went used car shopping this weekend. Unfortunately, I'm pretty picky/thorough, and everything else out there in equivalent $ had problems too. S60, 525i.... I may just fix the fuel leak (if I can find it), sell it outright, and drive the 3rd car (old, reliable minivan). It's like a wave of problems started hitting 6 months ago (power windows, stalling when pressing evic buttons).
Unread 06-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
baggee
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
can you do that? i just did the key dance, found nothing.

??
I have Bosch kts 540 diagnostic tool and it can acces in allmost all ECU-s in the 3.7 v6 wk-s...
baggee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.