3.7 rear axle swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 3.7 rear axle swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSave on AEM Intakes from XT!Save 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialties

Unread 02-05-2015, 07:14 AM   #1
monkey6
2009 WK 

3.7 rear axle swap

I've seen a lot of people on here mention swapping the rear axle of the 3.7 and installing the 12 bolt with the electronic locker, but I can't find anywhere that someone has actually attempted this. I am highly interested in doing the swap on my WK, but have a few questions.

Are there any sensors on the stock axle that will have issues once it is swapped? (engine codes or EVIC messages?)

Is the gear ratio the same on the different axles? And if it is different, will it affect the jeep having a different rear ratio and not changing the front?

I don't know if anyone has actually done this, but I plan on attempting it in the near future if I can find a new axle at a junk yard in good condition. I plan on wiring a switch to manually engage the electronic locker. I also have the Hypertech tuner which should allow me to reprogram the gear ratio if necessary.

Unread 02-05-2015, 08:03 AM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

This topic is all show and no go because it is far more involved than simply swapping the rear axle.

The gearing in the 3.7 is 3.07 vs 3.73 in the QDII axles - this would require regearing or swapping the front axle as well.

The limited slip in the QDII is electronic which would be quite involved to establish.

W/o a low gearing transfer case having ELSDs is pointless in my book.

Long story short - the swap would not be worth the time or money.

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
September 2013/January 2015 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2015, 10:36 AM   #3
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
This topic is all show and no go because it is far more involved than simply swapping the rear axle.

The gearing in the 3.7 is 3.07 vs 3.73 in the QDII axles - this would require regearing or swapping the front axle as well.

The limited slip in the QDII is electronic which would be quite involved to establish.

W/o a low gearing transfer case having ELSDs is pointless in my book.

Long story short - the swap would not be worth the time or money.
3.73's and ELSD would make a 2wd Jeep much more capable. Even without the xfer case. Would be worthwhile if the rear was on its way out already.

Any reason why the locker couldn't just be wired to a switch?

"worth the time and money" is certainly up to the end user. I could see a front diff gear swap + rear qd2 diff being reasonable if you can do a JY pull and are capable of doing your own work.
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2015, 10:41 AM   #4
modernblueWK

Why not throw an aussie locker in your stock rearend?
modernblueWK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2015, 10:42 AM   #5
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7ens View Post
3.73's and ELSD would make a 2wd Jeep much more capable. Even without the xfer case. Would be worthwhile if the rear was on its way out already.

Any reason why the locker couldn't just be wired to a switch?

"worth the time and money" is certainly up to the end user. I could see a front diff gear swap + rear qd2 diff being reasonable if you can do a JY pull and are capable of doing your own work.
Right, and if you have the resources, time, and money to be making all these axle swaps and regearing - then the WK is the wrong platform to be performing them on IMO.

As an example, couple grand gets you a decent XJ, or even ZJ base to work from vs. several more thousand to get the WK base to work off of.

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
Unread 02-05-2015, 10:44 AM   #6
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Right, and if you have the resources, time, and money to be making all these axle swaps and regearing - then the WK is the wrong platform to be performing them on IMO.

As an example, couple grand gets you a decent XJ, or even ZJ base to work from vs. several more thousand to get the WK base to work off of.
Oh I hear that. Some people just like playing with more expensive toys.
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #7
BoraBora
2015 JK Wrangler 

My advice is leave the 3.7 as it is. No low range makes gearing and lockers quite useless for offroading.

If you actually want to dump money into it, which is not worth it IMO, then do a QT2 swap, regear to 4:10's, and get ARB selectable lockers.
Unread 02-05-2015, 11:25 AM   #8
Hendrix9
2007 WK 

I dont think its as crazy of an idea as some of these guys. Haha. It's pretty simple to manually actuate the elsd via switches.

You can even find the axles on ebaymotors pretty decently priced out of wrecked wks. I toyed with the idea of going to 3.07s in my crd but just dont have the funds, but used axles werent that uncommon when i was looking.

If it was 2wd its really simple. For a 4wd its more work since you have to swap front and rear but still should be pretty straightforward in my head.

If youre into off roading not having 4lo will limit you, but even just having lockers front and rear would be night and day over stock.
Unread 02-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #9
monkey6
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix9 View Post
If youre into off roading not having 4lo will limit you, but even just having lockers front and rear would be night and day over stock.
Exactly, I really just want to have the locker for comfort, I don't do anything extreme enough that 4low would be limiting me. I've gone through a small stream that was in a steep valley. I was uncomfortable going slow without a locker because if I got a wheel off the ground I'd be screwed, so I took a little faster so momentum would pull me through the rough spots. Is it possible to install any type of locker in the 10 bolt diff without doing a swap? I thought I read somewhere that there isn't enough room in there.
Unread 02-05-2015, 12:23 PM   #10
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernblueWK View Post
Why not throw an aussie locker in your stock rearend?
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey6 View Post
Exactly, I really just want to have the locker for comfort, I don't do anything extreme enough that 4low would be limiting me. I've gone through a small stream that was in a steep valley. I was uncomfortable going slow without a locker because if I got a wheel off the ground I'd be screwed, so I took a little faster so momentum would pull me through the rough spots. Is it possible to install any type of locker in the 10 bolt diff without doing a swap? I thought I read somewhere that there isn't enough room in there.
Then do as mentioned above and put a lunchbox locker in the rear.

Aussie
Lokka
Lock Right
Powertrax
Spartan

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
Unread 02-05-2015, 12:25 PM   #11
Defender2000
2007 XK Commander 

I believe Powertrax makes something for the 8.25" 10 bolt rear end. I can't remember which model it is though. They have a few to choose from. Just check out their site.

The 2wd WKs and XKs come with a Dana rear end. There's all sorts of options for that rear end.

But it is possible to put in the front and rear ESLD axles and wire the solenoid up to a switch. I believe you'd lose the limited slip aspect of it, but you can use the switch to fully lock it. You'd probably have to work closely with the dealer though to reprogram the PCM for the different gear ratio.
Defender2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #12
JeepN4KC

AFAIK all those brands I listed make a locker to fit the carrier of the 29 spline C8.25

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
Unread 02-05-2015, 12:35 PM   #13
monkey6
2009 WK 

Quote:
AFAIK all those brands I listed make a locker to fit the carrier of the 29 spline C8.25
Awesome, I'll have to do some more research on that!
Unread 02-08-2015, 10:30 AM   #14
jeepin_in_a_wk
2007 WK 

i AM actually going to be tackling this project, qd2 axles in a qt1. im running the modded ome with 265/70/17, plus custom front and rear bumpers in the next few weeks, so i really need the 3.73 gears to help me out. i will make a thread when i start it and update along the way
jeepin_in_a_wk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2015, 10:43 AM   #15
modernblueWK

So have you looked into what computer programming you will need to do to make it work? Can a superchips program the computer for 3.73's?

I thought the limited slip aspect on qd2 was mechanical and the full lockup was electrical.
modernblueWK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.