3.7 has a rough idle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 3.7 has a rough idle

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 04-09-2007, 10:15 PM   #1
gsxr150

3.7 has a rough idle

Today I picked up my rental Jeep 3.7. I'm in love with the truck, but when sitting in drive I get a weird vibration at idle. I seems the rough idle comes on and off....like 5 seconds on and 5 seconds off. Is that normal for the 3.7?

gsxr150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2007, 11:46 PM   #2
bull_blaster
2005 WK 

i had the same issue, switched to higher octane gas and never had the issue again, but at the same time NO this should not be happing.
bull_blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2007, 03:48 PM   #3
ennemme
2006 WK 

I had a 3.7L on a '03 Cherokee (Liberty) but never had this problem...
Unread 04-10-2007, 10:08 PM   #4
cliff

Not normal with my 3.7 might be the AC compressor kicking in and out.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2007, 10:03 AM   #5
drewman141
Gas Guzzler

1994 ZJ 

The Libby engine is a different engine then the GC 3.7. And I agree with Cliff, sounds like the compressor cycling.

MUST GO! 1994 Limited ZJ 5.2L V8 - Light Driftwood Satin Glow
It's a 94 5.2L Limited - trxus 33's on 15x7 steelies, 4.56s w/ front OX and rear trutrac, NP242 swap, novak shift kit, Kevin's ultimate 4.5" lift + ACOS, ARB front bumper w/warn M8000, rear tomkin machine bumper w/ tire carrier, kevin's hardore railz, kevin's ultimate tc skid, kevin's trackbar conversion, rusty's gas skid, flexalite efan, Kolak's performance ignition and brake upgrades. ViAir OBA, custom storage/sub box and I'm sure there's a bunch of other things I'm missing. Everything is a little over 3 years old with less than 10K miles. Looking to get around $4k.

drewman141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2007, 04:12 PM   #6
rooster p

is that good or bad for the AC compressor to be kicking in. (i'm a car noob)...mine does this as well
Flowmaster 50 series, 3 10" MTX Subs, JBL 1200w Amp, Sony In-dash DVD player, Audiovox DVD Player, Tint all around
rooster p is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2007, 04:59 PM   #7
T-Rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster p
is that good or bad for the AC compressor to be kicking in. (i'm a car noob)...mine does this as well
The Air Conditioning compressor should only kick in if the AC is running, and will do so from time to time as the refrigerant warms and needs compressing/cooling again. So this is normal and good.

Jeep: 2006 Midnight Blue Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Bells Whistles
Mods: Tow Hooks Mopar & 4xGuard Skid Plates & Rock Rails Flowmaster 70 255/65R17 REVO's
T-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2007, 12:19 PM   #8
indianrefining

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr150
Today I picked up my rental Jeep 3.7. I'm in love with the truck, but when sitting in drive I get a weird vibration at idle. I seems the rough idle comes on and off....like 5 seconds on and 5 seconds off. Is that normal for the 3.7?
It's hard to tell what kind of "bargain" gasoline has been put in a rental. It may just be totally gummed up. If you're going to have it for a while, throw in a bottle of Chevron TECHRON Gasoline Treatment, and run the snot out of it!
indianrefining is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2007, 01:59 AM   #9
tednelson83
1993 ZJ 

mine does that, and i still havent yet fixed it. mine was a rental too.
Liberalism stems from the notion that it's entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
tednelson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2007, 06:59 AM   #10
NJD

My wife's '06 GC also has a rough idle, yet I have '05 and do not experience the same rough idle, at least not yet. I do notice that once it has an oil change it does idle smoother. I try and use the STP fuel injector cleaner every 3 fill ups just to try and keep the injectors and the fuel system somewhat cleaner.

As far as gas, we both fill up wherever the gas is cheaper that day, but usually the same stations, so I don't believe it's a gas issue. As far as I'm concerned gas is gas, they all get it from the same terminals. I know I've heard it before that it differs from one brand to the next, but I worked at a gas station in my college days, and the owners also owned a trucking business where they delivered gas to independent gas retailers, basically what they do is they would call there terminals and find out who had the lowest prices, then they would buy from them, after all do you think the no name gas stations have their own refineries?
NJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2007, 07:59 PM   #11
Bad Habit

I've also noticed this in my wife's 06 3.7. I wouldn't really describe it as a rough idle though. To me, it's more of an exhaust drone or engine harmonic at that rpm. When it does it, if you pop the shifter up into neutral it will go away. Also if you just barely put the slightest pressure on the gas pedal it will go away. IMO, the in-gear idle is about 50 rpm too low.
Bad Habit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2007, 08:48 AM   #12
sw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewman141
The Libby engine is a different engine then the GC 3.7. And I agree with Cliff, sounds like the compressor cycling.
Really? What is different?
sw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2007, 10:13 AM   #13
drewman141
Gas Guzzler

1994 ZJ 

Sorry about that, I was thinking of the JK engine. The 3.7 in the GC started out as the KJ engine, they just made a lot of changes to it since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkjeeps.com
Significant changes in the 3.7-liter include a revised cam profile and new valve lash adjusters. These changes improve the engine smoothness at idle. To ensure quiet operation, a new thick-wall composite manifold is new for 2005, as are structural improvements to the air box and resonator. The cylinder head has been redesigned, increasing the compression ratio to 9.7:1. The 3.7-liter now uses plastic cylinder head covers.

MUST GO! 1994 Limited ZJ 5.2L V8 - Light Driftwood Satin Glow
It's a 94 5.2L Limited - trxus 33's on 15x7 steelies, 4.56s w/ front OX and rear trutrac, NP242 swap, novak shift kit, Kevin's ultimate 4.5" lift + ACOS, ARB front bumper w/warn M8000, rear tomkin machine bumper w/ tire carrier, kevin's hardore railz, kevin's ultimate tc skid, kevin's trackbar conversion, rusty's gas skid, flexalite efan, Kolak's performance ignition and brake upgrades. ViAir OBA, custom storage/sub box and I'm sure there's a bunch of other things I'm missing. Everything is a little over 3 years old with less than 10K miles. Looking to get around $4k.

drewman141 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.