3.0L CRD Turbo Diesel Pukes Oil - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 3.0L CRD Turbo Diesel Pukes Oil

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-18-2010, 02:38 PM   #16
Tuco
2007 WK 

Quote:
The seal on the oil cap doesn't have to be bad, if the cap is on backwards, it will leak terribly. I put my cap on backwards (where the writing was upside down, and it leaked everywhere...complete mess.
Sounds like the cap is not your problem, however I can also confirm the importance of the oil cap orientation. I cant see how that much oil could come from the turbo inlet hose, there has to be a noticeable source for the leak and they can locate this by adding dye to your oil.

We had the same problem. After I changed the oil the first time, I put the cap on backward. Its not easy to see what is correct because it twists in place either way. After a day of commuting, the next morning there was so much oil on the engine and ground I was convinced something was plugging the breather tube and causing it to blow out the dipstick or cap or at some seal. I took it to the dealer and they added die and found no leaks and the pvc system was fine. Then after reading about the cap at this forum, I changed the cap 180 degrees and the problem never returned. Its been 15K miles since and after 25K total miles and 3 oil changes, this engine burns almost no oil and leaks none.

Unread 01-18-2010, 03:11 PM   #17
Pashin
2009 WK 

No the cap is not the problem, I always put it back on with the writing right side up and make sure that it is on securely. Also the dealer when doing this current service said they put the new Turbo Tube and Turbo Seals on but there is still a leak and they are looking further.

The oil leak started very small, with no oil stain on the ground. I only noticed a small amount of oil around the drain hole on the skid plate on my initial visiual inspection of the vehicle at about 3,000kms. I reported this to the dealer who said they would look into it on the first service. I took it in at 10,000km for the first service at this point it would only leave a small oil stain on the ground. This is when the dealer told me it was a loose Turbo Hose Clamp that needed to be tightened. As I approached 20,000km the stain was much larger. In fact it seemed to hold oil for a bit after the 20,000km service then it started to bleed it out again. Now as I take it in for the 30,000km service the photo I provided here is how much oil the vehicle puked out over night after parking it.

I am starting to think that it may be a Main Gasket that is faulty from the factory, but I won't be able to tell until I get the vehicle back from the dealer who will have either diagnosed the problem correclty this time or I will have too take the vehicle to a Mercedes dealer. My neighbour is a retired Mercedes Mechanic so I may ask him to put it up on his hoist to take a look too.
Pashin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 04:22 PM   #18
suzieque
2008 WK 

yeah, its pretty difficult to diagnose an engine oil leak by looking at a picture of jeep with its hood closed parked behind a pool of oil. we can only make suggestions about what to look at. but let us know what the dealer finds out anyway.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #19
merlinTec

Hi
I would be looking at the oil cooler. sits in the V of the engine, The intake pipe for the turbo is just above it. A note to also look for if they have replaced the alternator is to make sure they have put the shield on that goes over the alternator (see the TSB) this will stop any oil spilt in the future getting into the turbo.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #20
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Merlin can I purchase the shield in the US? Part number?
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 07:15 PM   #21
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec View Post
Hi
I would be looking at the oil cooler. sits in the V of the engine, The intake pipe for the turbo is just above it.
I'm looking for a photo of the oil cooler as I was told the CRD had an oil cooler. Do you have a photo you can post merlin?
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #22
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque View Post
I'm looking for a photo of the oil cooler as I was told the CRD had an oil cooler. Do you have a photo you can post merlin?
I'd like to see a pic, too.
07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | Provent MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal + EHM | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Blue WK Club Member #13 | 100,000 Mile Club | Dogpiled Club | pre-N23 FDCM |
wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #23
merlinTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque View Post
Yep, posted picture of it with the pics of the swirl motor. Think you two would have seen them in the provent topic?
Unread 01-19-2010, 02:08 PM   #24
merlinTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
Merlin can I purchase the shield in the US? Part number?
Yep, http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_0900109.pdf TSB is bull as it says can only be from oil spilt when topping up but I don't think so. The oil comes out the drain of the V block next to the air con pump gets on the belt and goes everywhere. As it is in your case I believe.
Unread 01-21-2010, 12:13 AM   #25
zedjay
1997 ZJ 

Issues

To start I am a licensed chrysler tech and in chrysler terms a diesel doctor which basically means I have taken all available training they have to offer and then some on all chrysler dieselengines. There is an issue with the 3.0L crd and oil level, you really have to make sure your oil level is right half a litre over will cause blowby problems with this engine due to its very sensitive pcv system. I have replaced numerous faulty ccv valves which acts like a pcv valve on a gas engine and is located on the top of the pass valve cover at the rear it is inline with the turbo inlet and the valve cover. the valve doesn't do its job when there is too much oil and oil enters the charge air system and its a mess that takes a while to clean up, if not handled right away it usually takes out the turbo itself. make sure you are using proper procedure to check your oil level which is to fire up your engine rev to 1500rpm for about 5 seconds then let it sit for 15 minutes Before checking there was a tip sent to all dealers to make sure this happens but who knows if the tech gets it all the time. the main cause of a lot of these oil leaks is overfilling. Right now I have got about 3 cases on the go with grands with 3000 to 25000km that have oil leak problems. I have done turbos, ccv's hoses and a few other small things some have been succesful and others nightmares still returning. Chrysler tech support has no explanation or fix at this time and engines are about 35k canadian to replace so I dont see any being done soon. Running a catch can inline of your turbo inlet and ccv has seemed to be the only solution thus far but warranty wont cover that and depending on how much your dealer likes you will determine cost. The liberty diesel also has similar issues with oil clogging up the charge air system and egr system from blow by and have had to install catch cans to fix them. Good luck
zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 08:50 AM   #26
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedjay View Post
To start I am a licensed chrysler tech and in chrysler terms a diesel doctor which basically means I have taken all available training they have to offer and then some on all chrysler dieselengines. There is an issue with the 3.0L crd and oil level, you really have to make sure your oil level is right half a litre over will cause blowby problems with this engine due to its very sensitive pcv system. I have replaced numerous faulty ccv valves which acts like a pcv valve on a gas engine and is located on the top of the pass valve cover at the rear it is inline with the turbo inlet and the valve cover. the valve doesn't do its job when there is too much oil and oil enters the charge air system and its a mess that takes a while to clean up, if not handled right away it usually takes out the turbo itself. make sure you are using proper procedure to check your oil level which is to fire up your engine rev to 1500rpm for about 5 seconds then let it sit for 15 minutes Before checking there was a tip sent to all dealers to make sure this happens but who knows if the tech gets it all the time. the main cause of a lot of these oil leaks is overfilling. Right now I have got about 3 cases on the go with grands with 3000 to 25000km that have oil leak problems. I have done turbos, ccv's hoses and a few other small things some have been succesful and others nightmares still returning. Chrysler tech support has no explanation or fix at this time and engines are about 35k canadian to replace so I dont see any being done soon. Running a catch can inline of your turbo inlet and ccv has seemed to be the only solution thus far but warranty wont cover that and depending on how much your dealer likes you will determine cost. The liberty diesel also has similar issues with oil clogging up the charge air system and egr system from blow by and have had to install catch cans to fix them. Good luck
thanks for posting zedjay, it's always good to have another tech chime in with what he has seen.
Unread 01-21-2010, 08:51 AM   #27
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec View Post
Yep, posted picture of it with the pics of the swirl motor. Think you two would have seen them in the provent topic?
yup, I have seen those photos, let me check those, I think you mean the pictures in post #18
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/w...9/#post5240765
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #28
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

This one?
Hell of a place to put an oil cooler!
Are all of the lines internal?

07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | Provent MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal + EHM | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Blue WK Club Member #13 | 100,000 Mile Club | Dogpiled Club | pre-N23 FDCM |
wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:04 AM   #29
Pashin
2009 WK 

Thanks everyone for your feedback, I will be getting the Jeep back tomorrow.

They say, that they have replaced the Turbo Tube, some Seals, and the Alternator. I will check tho make sure that they put the Splash Shield on the Alternator according to the TSB.

I will definitely be installing a catch can filter once I get home.

As for oil level as posted by zedjay. I only started checking my oil level after I noticed the giant slick under my vehicle after I parked. If I run the vehicle at highway speeds for about 30-45 minutes then park, it seems to leave a large puddle underneath. I would then add oil after I noticed that some had leaked. When I check to refill, I usually have run the vehicle for at least 15 minutes on the road, and then I let it cool down for about 10 minutes. This is the dipstick reading I used to add oil by. I usually would only add enough oil to bring the level to just over 3/4 full to avoid overfilling.

The information and knowledge shared here is great, I will be purchasing a membership very soon.
Unread 01-25-2010, 10:54 AM   #30
Pashin
2009 WK 

Got the GC back from the dealer. It looks like Merlin Tec was bang on.

Apparently the Oil Cooler was not torqued properly and the felt gasket seal was comprised causing the oil leak. It looks like this is almost an entire top end overhaul to get to this problem, I am glad I am under warranty.

They also replaced the turbo tube and the turbo seal. The faulty alternator was replaced but I did not notice the Splash Shield part number on the Work Order. I showed the Service Desk the TSB Merlin Tec mentioned and they said they would follow up.

Thanks again Merlin Tec for the adivce and knowledge.

The vehicle seems to run fine now. There is still a bit of an oil burning smell when I drive, but this could be residue left on the engine burning off or I need to install the CCV filter. Also, I have noticed that my fuel efficiency has increased from 10.5L/100km to 9.2L/100km.

Thanks for all your help, and I will post some under the hood and under the body pics once I get some time to put it up on the hoist.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.