3.0L CRD Oil Change Procedure/Any Tips - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 3.0L CRD Oil Change Procedure/Any Tips

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
CanDieselJeep
2008 WK 

3.0L CRD Oil Change Procedure/Any Tips

Recently purchased 2008.5 Diesel, just wondering if there are any special procedures when changing the oil. I've been a licensed tech for years but haven't worked on this engine at all!

CanDieselJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Do a search...there are a number of posts.
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
basthen
2007 WK 

Use the search feature on the forum.
basthen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
Tuco
2007 WK 

I just finished my second oil change. This time I avoided a big mess by using an old plastic milk container as a funnel. I cut the bottom off and then held it under the drain plug with a large oil container underneath. This really worked well. I took the plastic skid plate off, but this is not necessary as long as you make sure theere is a good path for the oil to flow. I jack up both front and rear and put on stands and rotate the tires while Im waiting for the oil to drain. Go read Merlintec's post where he gives a very nice detailed write-up. Its hard to see why pouring some of the oil down the filter housing helps, but I do this anyway. The oil really takes a while to settle if you pour oil in filter housing so make sure you wait a bit before starting. There are tons of posts about changing the fluid and what oil to use, definitely do a search before jumping in.
Unread 03-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
Spider-One
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
I just finished my second oil change. This time I avoided a big mess by using an old plastic milk container as a funnel. I cut the bottom off and then held it under the drain plug with a large oil container underneath. This really worked well. I took the plastic skid plate off, but this is not necessary as long as you make sure theere is a good path for the oil to flow. I jack up both front and rear and put on stands and rotate the tires while Im waiting for the oil to drain. Go read Merlintec's post where he gives a very nice detailed write-up. Its hard to see why pouring some of the oil down the filter housing helps, but I do this anyway. The oil really takes a while to settle if you pour oil in filter housing so make sure you wait a bit before starting. There are tons of posts about changing the fluid and what oil to use, definitely do a search before jumping in.
In regards to pouring half the oil down the filter housing I'm pretty sure Merlin elaborated on it pretty well. Here is the original thread.
Unread 05-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
Sportskid1
2007 WK 

I just did my first oil change on my CRD (well second, the dealership charged $200 the first time). I used a topside oil changer since I have limited space and no jackstands and it worked great. Just stick the tube down the dipstick tube, pump it up, and suck the oil out. Took about 30 min to suck the oil out and got out all 10 quarts. Just pump it up a bit more often than the directions call for. Super easy and didn't spill a drop of oil. Since the oil filter is on the top this was so easy. Highly recommended to thoughs who don't have the tools or space to jack the car up.

Amazon.com: Liquivac Topside Oil Changer: Home Improvement
Sportskid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
fishinbama
2007 WK 

Basically a few things to remember: ( I just did this today again)
1. oil capacity is 10 Quarts
2. drain oil from drainplug and make sure to remove oil filter while it is draining.
3. when refilling, fill half of oil through oil filter.
4. wait 15 minutes before cranking.

Optional: curse Mercedes lots and lots while waiting impatiently on oil to go down
fishinbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #8
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportskid1 View Post
I just did my first oil change on my CRD (well second, the dealership charged $200 the first time). I used a topside oil changer since I have limited space and no jackstands and it worked great. Just stick the tube down the dipstick tube, pump it up, and suck the oil out. Took about 30 min to suck the oil out and got out all 10 quarts. Just pump it up a bit more often than the directions call for. Super easy and didn't spill a drop of oil. Since the oil filter is on the top this was so easy. Highly recommended to thoughs who don't have the tools or space to jack the car up.

Amazon.com: Liquivac Topside Oil Changer: Home Improvement
How did you get 10 quarts of oil in a 2 gallon container? Did you stop,empty and then start again?
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #9
Sportskid1
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
How did you get 10 quarts of oil in a 2 gallon container? Did you stop,empty and then start again?
Correct. Kind of a pain but not a big deal.
Sportskid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #10
justa4banger
2007 WK 

i use the mityvac and suck it through the top... its a slow process but zero to little mess and i don;t need to get on my back for anything...

the drain plug on my jeep has only been out of the car ONCE in 35k mile... that was the first oil change the dealer did...

the mityvac is worth the 75-80 bucks i paid... IMO. infact my stepdad learned to change the oil from the top and now he does all 3 cars that way... just need to empty out the container in the middle of the change since it will only hold 7qts
Unread 10-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
pixelcodex
2007 WK 

WK CRD Oil change

Quote:
I just finished my second oil change. This time I avoided a big mess by using an old plastic milk container as a funnel. I cut the bottom off and then held it under the drain plug with a large oil container underneath. This really worked well.
I read this while I was researching to see if there was any special procedure to the CRD oil change. I read it and somehow did not make sense till I pulled the plug.... The oil made a very pretty cascade by hitting the cross member. No matter how hard I tried to contain it, it also spilled some, so my garage absorbed some oil. Sprayed it with Simple Green, and hope it breaks down a bit. BTW, is the CRD's oil "stinky" or was it my impression?

Quote:
Its hard to see why pouring some of the oil down the filter housing helps, but I do this anyway. The oil really takes a while to settle if you pour oil in filter housing so make sure you wait a bit before starting.
I thought this was the biggest factor in how long it takes. Pouring 5 liters that way took a lot longer than it should have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justa4banger View Post
i use the mityvac and suck it through the top... its a slow process but zero to little mess and i don;t need to get on my back for anything...
Does this really work well? Can you elaborate a bit on the procedure with these? Does it work by suction on a closed system or simply the hose makes it to the lowest point in the pan? Are there any drawbacks? I.e. Does any sludge that would normally get drained stay or does it not fully drain? I can't help but think that some oil gets left behind. I am inclined to get something like this out of convenience, specially since I do oil changes to all my family's cars and motorcycles.
pixelcodex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #12
fishinbama
2007 WK 

Definitely get a fumoto drain valve for your 3.0 liter. My last oil change was such a breeze. I hook up a short piece of hose and put the other end in my cut off drain bucket. Flip the switch and that's it. First time I've never gotten a drop of oil on myself.
fishinbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #13
Jason911
2008 WK 

[QUOTE=CanDieselJeep;6866679]Recently purchased 2008.5 Diesel

Welcome to my world. Hope you enjoy your CRD as much as I do mine. I've yet actually find someone else that has an '08.5, until now.
Jason911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 11:11 PM   #14
Drewd

Use only ESP oil that meets the MB 229.51 spec. Do not use any other turbo diesel oil or you risk eventually destroying your $2,000 DPF filter.

Pour 5 bottles of oil via the oil filter assembly <---THIS IS A PAIN IN THE DONKEY BUT YOU MUST DO THIS TO PROTECT YOUR CRANSHAFT AND BEARINGS.

I PURCHASED AN OIL EXTRACTOR FROM HARBOR FRIGHT. It is powered by an aircompressor and it works awesome. I suck out most of the oil topside and then open the drain valve to get the last quart or so. If you drain all oil from the bottom, expect a big mess cuz all 10 quarts of oil spills out instantly.
Drewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 07:46 AM   #15
justa4banger
2007 WK 

Directions for an oil change.

Get Mityvac. It hold 7 quarts...

Warm engine up all the way, best to do the oil change when the engine is hot...
Then insert tube in the dip stick and evacuate the system, once the oil is half way in the tank, slow down as to not overfill the mity vac, it has a cut off, but i like to stop it on my own.
dump that oil in a container and evacuate the rest out.

Take the oil filter and replace it with new Orings, remove the tube from the dip stick...

Refill the oil, 5 ltr's in the oil filter area and 5 in the engine.
install oil filter

Crank engine..

I buy my oil from RMEuropean.com they also carry filters. i buy it when its on sale or i get a coupon.. free shipping in the lower 48. usually cost me 70.00 or so...
No climbing under the truck, no mess, just smooth sailing.

I haven't been under the truck in 3 years....
At 100k i'll take the drain plug out and see what i find...

trucks been running great with no issues.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.