3.0L CRD - Dana 44 - 12_bolt Differential - HELP - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 3.0L CRD - Dana 44 - 12_bolt Differential - HELP

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Reply
Unread 10-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #16
ryann04
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 326
Pictures of my rear diff. Maybe someone could take a look at these and shead some light as to how bad the damage is/isn't?

http://s66.photobucket.com/user/ryan...ry/jeep%20diff

__________________
2008 - Jeep Grand Cherokee - 3.0L CRD - Quadra Drive II - GDE Hot-Tune - OME HD Lift Kit - OEM Full Steel Skids
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blue WK Club Member #42 // DIESEL FTW !!!! -Ryan
ryann04 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:01 AM   #17
jediknight
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryann04
Pictures of my rear diff. Maybe someone could take a look at these and shead some light as to how bad the damage is/isn't? http://s66.photobucket.com/user/ryan...ry/jeep%20diff
uuuuuhm,
Why do you say your diff is damage ???
__________________
2008 WK CRD Blue, QD II, Startech SD6 mod.
jediknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #18
ryann04
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by jediknight View Post
uuuuuhm,
Why do you say your diff is damage ???
I'm asking if it is damaged, it looks fine to me.
I ran it low//almost dry of oil. It made a loud clunking noise and smoke out of the fill hole.
So I'm pretty sure at the least, my bearings are toast.
__________________
2008 - Jeep Grand Cherokee - 3.0L CRD - Quadra Drive II - GDE Hot-Tune - OME HD Lift Kit - OEM Full Steel Skids
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blue WK Club Member #42 // DIESEL FTW !!!! -Ryan
ryann04 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #19
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!
 
Jeepforthewin's Avatar
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 2,084
It looks good to me. Don't see any metal shaving's or chunks and don't see any scrapes or dings anywhere. I would still possibly swap the bearings to be safe though.
__________________
2010 JKU - Stock for now
2005 WK - 6" lift, 35" BFG's, a lot more (SOLD)
Jeepforthewin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #20
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs, MO
Posts: 5,943
OP -

Have you refilled the diff and run it up to see what happens?

If it's indeed damaged then you've nothing to lose.

If it's good to go then it's good to go.
__________________
~Mike~

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #21
ryann04
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
OP -

Have you refilled the diff and run it up to see what happens?

If it's indeed damaged then you've nothing to lose.

If it's good to go then it's good to go.
I love your logic. No I haven't tried this yet.

I'm sure it wont work in my favour though.
__________________
2008 - Jeep Grand Cherokee - 3.0L CRD - Quadra Drive II - GDE Hot-Tune - OME HD Lift Kit - OEM Full Steel Skids
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blue WK Club Member #42 // DIESEL FTW !!!! -Ryan
ryann04 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #22
jediknight
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryann04 View Post
I'm asking if it is damaged, it looks fine to me.
I ran it low//almost dry of oil. It made a loud clunking noise and smoke out of the fill hole.
So I'm pretty sure at the least, my bearings are toast.
I hear ya ... Its never fun to see smoke coming out from anywhere (except exhaust..). But i think at this stage you need to go with what you see.

I'd tried to look for any loose parts / cracks on some parts. If this is ok, I'd fill her up with oil and test drive and see if she drives ok ?
__________________
2008 WK CRD Blue, QD II, Startech SD6 mod.
jediknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #23
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!
 
Jeepforthewin's Avatar
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC
OP - Have you refilled the diff and run it up to see what happens? If it's indeed damaged then you've nothing to lose. If it's good to go then it's good to go.
I agree with this!
__________________
2010 JKU - Stock for now
2005 WK - 6" lift, 35" BFG's, a lot more (SOLD)
Jeepforthewin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #24
Radcrd
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 371
Spend the 30$ on fluid, fill it and see what happens. Why did it run dry? Was there a leak?
__________________
2007 WK CRD QDII, GDE HOT tune. 275/55/18'' on Sahara's, SRT8 suspension.
2000 Jetta TDI (hers)
2006 Liberty CRD (sold)
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #25
ryann04
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radcrd View Post
Spend the 30$ on fluid, fill it and see what happens. Why did it run dry? Was there a leak?
Ran dry due to axle seal leaks. (both sides).

I am taking it to a guy who is willing to put new bearings in for $600.00, then fill it with oil and go from there. Try to see if I will "LUCK" out or not.

I'll keep ya posted.
__________________
2008 - Jeep Grand Cherokee - 3.0L CRD - Quadra Drive II - GDE Hot-Tune - OME HD Lift Kit - OEM Full Steel Skids
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blue WK Club Member #42 // DIESEL FTW !!!! -Ryan
ryann04 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #26
ryann04
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 326
Problem fixed!!

Crown and pinion were fine.

They did all bearings/etc for rebuild...

$600/ for rebuild (labour + rebuild kit)
$80/ for machining (had to machine the yolk??)

Had to heat up some parts that were ALMOST welded together to remove them properly and not damage anything they could save.

$700~ after tax. No noise, no problems, 100% perfect!

Now that's what I call service. The shop I went to REPAIRED the problem. Where as the STEALERSHIP wanted to just replace all the parts and call it a day. I must say, I hope we don't loose the few repair shops we have left and become a "just replace it with another one, instead of fixing it" civilization.

The best part of it all is, I dropped it off first thing in the morning, they got me in asap, and had my vehicle repaired and ready for pick-up at 3pm the same day!! Talk about service!!

+REP for http://www.protracgear.ca/ (who performed the great service)
defenitely recommended for those in the Alberta/Canada region and needing driveline repairs.
__________________
2008 - Jeep Grand Cherokee - 3.0L CRD - Quadra Drive II - GDE Hot-Tune - OME HD Lift Kit - OEM Full Steel Skids
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blue WK Club Member #42 // DIESEL FTW !!!! -Ryan
ryann04 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #27
jediknight
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryann04
Problem fixed!! Crown and pinion were fine. They did all bearings/etc for rebuild... $600/ for rebuild (labour + rebuild kit) $80/ for machining (had to machine the yolk??) Had to heat up some parts that were ALMOST welded together to remove them properly and not damage anything they could save. $700~ after tax. No noise, no problems, 100% perfect! Now that's what I call service. The shop I went to REPAIRED the problem. Where as the STEALERSHIP wanted to just replace all the parts and call it a day. I must say, I hope we don't loose the few repair shops we have left and become a "just replace it with another one, instead of fixing it" civilization. The best part of it all is, I dropped it off first thing in the morning, they got me in asap, and had my vehicle repaired and ready for pick-up at 3pm the same day!! Talk about service!! +REP for http://www.protracgear.ca/ (who performed the great service) defenitely recommended for those in the Alberta/Canada region and needing driveline repairs.
...A well ended story Good thread Ryan ! Thanks
__________________
2008 WK CRD Blue, QD II, Startech SD6 mod.
jediknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #28
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!
 
Jeepforthewin's Avatar
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 2,084
Glad to hear all is good now!
__________________
2010 JKU - Stock for now
2005 WK - 6" lift, 35" BFG's, a lot more (SOLD)
Jeepforthewin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.