3.0 CRD fuel pump noise - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 3.0 CRD fuel pump noise

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #31
Drewd

Glad to hear the COFV fixed it. I'm happy for you and glad you found the part cheap. I paid twice that for mine.

I would not do anything about the fuel rail valve at this time except save up money to replace it. Are you measuring flow right at the valve on the fuel rail?

Here's what I'd do in your situation:
(a) Consider giving it a whack with a rubber mallet when engine is running to attemp to unstick a valve or spring.
(b) Right after your next DPF regeneration or just before an oil change, run a tank or two of B20. Biodiesel has awesome solvent properties and if there is some crud in the relief valve assembly, B20 should clean things up enough that by itself or some taps with a mallet should clear things up. You don't want a DPF regeneration with B20 in the tank....oil dilution from fuel could harm the lubrication qualities of the oil.

Isn't it great not to hear that annoying fuel pump noise when your vehicle is running? I absolutely hated it.

I hope both our experiences and solutions will prevent needless and expensive replacement of in tank fuel pumps.

Drewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #32
Drewd

BWP,

I got to thinking if that rail valve is leaking, it could place unnecessary strain on your cp3 pump that is working harder to maintain desired fuel rail pressure. Probably best to replace it sooner rather than later.

Do you wish to purchase my old fuel rail pressure relief valve? It has 61k miles on it and it didn't leak a drip with engine running? I'll accept a return on the item if you aren't pleased with it. I replaced mine along with a new fuel rail unnecessarily in trouble shooting that stupid COFV valve issue. Make me an offer. I think 50% off new cost is fair but I'd like to help you out so you don't worry about the fuel rail relief valve and can drive content knowing your rig is running right.

Drew
Unread 09-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #33
Ditchd
2009 WK 

Very interesting info and unfortunately the very same problem I've had apears today.

Techy by original trade I'm happy to tackle the job but one basic question.

You've lost me on the terminology/ familiarity with the car, where is the cp3 pump ?

Does anyone have a pic of the thing ?

I'm tackling the basics , filter etc in the morning so here goes ............
Ditchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #34
Ditchd
2009 WK 

In fact as I've never changed it before or looked for it, where is the diesel filter located ? I'm sure I can find it but if anyone can give me a hint. Cheers.
Unread 09-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #35
sickchilly
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchd
In fact as I've never changed it before or looked for it, where is the diesel filter located ? I'm sure I can find it but if anyone can give me a hint. Cheers.
Center front top of motor slightly to the driver's side. Silver can with two hoses, a button switch and an electrical connector. Remove the engine cover and turbo intake hose.
Unread 09-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #36
Ditchd
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickchilly View Post
Center front top of motor slightly to the driver's side. Silver can with two hoses, a button switch and an electrical connector. Remove the engine cover and turbo intake hose.
Thanks, much appreciated. Hopefully I won't be looking for the cp3 if this sorts it
Unread 09-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #37
Drewd

This a link to pic of the cascade overflow valve. The portion left up to the green o-ring is inside the cp3 pump.

It is easier to take off the cp-3 pump in order to get access to it. It is very easy to remove it.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAQ&dur=260
Unread 09-08-2013, 05:45 AM   #38
Ditchd
2009 WK 

I've managed to stop the overworking lift/intank pump on mine and so far no noise.

I'd just like to say thanks for the info/advice/answers on the subject invaluable to someone like myself unfamiliar with the 3.0crd

My 2 cents worth ? Presume nothing and follow basic fault finding as listed way near the top of this thread by Drew. I was lucky , mine was an easy fix, it was the fuel filter presumably blocked. 20 in our money instead of 600 plus.

Thing is though on balance of probability it really shouldn't have been the filter. It's a genuine Merc part, fitted by Merc, nowhere near its service date. I never use cheap **** diesel from dodgy garages and yet
Unread 09-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #39
Drewd

Rule no. 1 for all diesels: Replace fuel filter no matter how new it may be. I had an issue a couple of years ago with my 2006 Jeep Liberty diesel and I thought it was a bad fuel control valve since fuel filter was new (<100 miles on it). Turned out I had a bad batch of fuel that clogged 3 fuel filters. A fuel filter is cheaper than replacing expensive parts.

I'm glad my trouble shooting tips helped you out and you didn't immediately replace a Cascade overflow valve prematurely. However, I think a OEM filter is just as expensive as a COFV ;-)
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:59 AM   #40
Ditchd
2009 WK 

Bit of an eye opener for me was this one and a lesson learnt.......

Don't get distracted by the OBD system.

Whilst I've been building engines and working on cars for many years ive never diy'd a fault on a defective vehicle that such a extensive OBD and electronic system. I had codes indicating maf problems, injector rail circuit and low pressure faults and more.

It was nice to be pointed in the right direction but too much info really so back to basics and ignore them all.is the fuel actually getting through.

Done about150 miles since fixing it and its back to limo smooth

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.