2010 WK Timing Chain Broke - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2010 WK Timing Chain Broke

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockJK 3" Lift Kit w/ 4 FlexArms! GREAT DEALS here at Roc

Unread 05-13-2015, 04:07 PM   #1
aresf1
2010 WK 

2010 WK Timing Chain Broke

I know I am brand new to this forum, but I was hoping to get some insight and/or advice on what other forum members might do in my situation:

My 2010 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 had the timing chain break at 98k miles and I am now looking at a $1500-2000 repair bill.

What would you guys do?
- Just have it repaired?
- Find a used hemi on craigslist and drop it in?
- Drop in a a performance built engine?

This isn't a vehicle I'm looking to spend a ton of money building, so I'm looking for the most cost effective solution more than anything.

The icing on the cake is that the warranty expired in March (100K/5 year warranty, whichever comes first). FCA/Jeep customer assistance won't do anything to help me out, despite how close it is to the warranty expiration. The fact that I'm the second owner and worked for Chrysler for over 3 years didn't help, either (I asked).

Thanks for your input.

aresf1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2015, 04:19 PM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Who told you the timing chain broke?

Timing belts break but I've not heard of a timing chain breaking - that's why timing chains are the cats meow compared to belts.

Not saying it can't happen just sounds suspect

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
September 2013/January 2015 COTM
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2015, 04:34 PM   #3
aresf1
2010 WK 

It's the chain. Here's an article that tells a nice story on the rampant issue: http://www.hotrod.com/news/chrysler-...-chain-defect/
Unread 05-13-2015, 05:38 PM   #4
hxdrummerxc

2008 WK 

Damn that sucks......

Looks like it only happens on the 2009 and newer hemi's.

That's a tough call man. I would probably see how much I could get a 6.1 put in for because I have always wanted that after I seen a commander swap in a 6.1 from the SRT. But I know you said that this isn't a vehicle that you want to put money into.

$2,000 would still probably be a lot cheaper than a new or refurbished 5.7
I thought the Jasper rebuilds were going for over $3,000 just for the motor, no labor costs included.

Has anyone looked deeper into the motor yet? The article says that if the motor is cranked over AFTER the belt broke, it will likely cause piston-to-valve damage. Could possibly add more to that $2,000 bill if that hasn't been noted yet.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | RC lift | Custom painted headlights with Oracle LED Halos | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2015, 05:58 PM   #5
RCS1300
2005 WK 

The most cost effective solution is fixing it. Get a few estimates before you award the business.
RCS1300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2015, 06:27 PM   #6
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

The "required" (by the mfg.) dealer repair procedures are about as absurd and dumb as you can get. As the Hod Rod article stated, you'll be sure to have to do massive repairs on what possibly could have been an easy fix. There have been chain/tensioner problems with the earlier Hemi's too, but all that I've heard of were with highly modified (including forced induction and N2O) units that are using the stock 5.7 Hemi chain tensioner, and the MDS was in no way involved. The tensioner is the problem (it fails first and that takes the chain out) with the early ones. I know, on both my Hemi's, when I changed the cams I put 6.1 tensioners on them.....about $25-30 each. They are quite a bit more stout than the stock 5.7 ones and the rubbing block is made of a different material. I think, if I owned a late model Hemi, I'd be pulling it apart myself and fixing it before it failed, just to make sure I didn't have to deal with the stupid mfg. and stealers......not to mention the inconvenience and hassle involved. I really feel for you guys that may be facing this problem. SOUNDS LIKE ANOTHER N23 ON THE HORIZON.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2015, 09:02 PM   #7
johngreen1234
2010 WK 

According to the Hot Rod article linked--and to the Chrysler recall notice--the models affected are the Challenger, Charger and 300c. I can't imagine why a Jeep with a Hemi wouldn't be included in this, but it isn't.

Moreover, this is the first mention of a failure I know of on this forum. While I'm no car expert, I've been paying pretty close attention to stuff like this (eg the N23 disaster), and I just don't see a trend here--YET, at least.

I'm sorry for the OP's troubles and I wish I could offer real help. I would just echo what has been said previously: Thoroughly shop the repairs and verify that you don't have internal engine damage before paying to replace the timing chain.
johngreen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2015, 07:26 AM   #8
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

John, I don't know about the later Hemi's, but the early Hemi's in the Jeeps are almost exactly the same as the passenger car ones. I know on both of mine everything is the same except the oil pan, stock exhaust logs and oil pump pickup. Maybe Chrysler doesn't think Jeepers will "hot rod" them like the passenger guys tend to do. I hot rod both of mine on a regular basis....it's good exercise for them, LOL.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2015, 07:37 AM   #9
scootter82
2009 WK 

Guess I have something else to add to the upgrade list.
Unread 05-14-2015, 08:50 AM   #10
johngreen1234
2010 WK 

Based on internet posts, this just doesn't look like an issue for the Jeep, the way it is for the Charger/Challenger. This despite the 5.7 motors being virtually identical, as 90G says. And this is a HUGE issue over on the Challenger forums--if it was happening in any numbers on Jeeps we would be seeing it on this and the "other" forum.

FWIW, the recommended preventative measure is to disable MDS, either through a tune or through auto stick selecting "5" rather than "D". And it seems to be happening at highway speeds.
johngreen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2015, 10:31 AM   #11
joe989
2008 WK 

Not the same engine, pretty sure the jeep one is the same as the pickup, and the one in the cars attaches to a Nag1 instead of the 545RE. Its like saying the Hemi in the half ton is the same as the hemi in the 3/4 ton, the 3/4 is a heavy duty engine and doesnt have MDS, and has less hp for reliability sake. Just because it says 5.7 hemi doesn't mean its the same engine.
joe989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2015, 05:29 PM   #12
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe989 View Post
Not the same engine, pretty sure the jeep one is the same as the pickup, and the one in the cars attaches to a Nag1 instead of the 545RE. Its like saying the Hemi in the half ton is the same as the hemi in the 3/4 ton, the 3/4 is a heavy duty engine and doesnt have MDS, and has less hp for reliability sake. Just because it says 5.7 hemi doesn't mean its the same engine.
+2. WK are de-tuned from what they put in Challengers. A 2009 Challenger with a 5.7 shows 372 hp @ 5200 rpm while the same 09 WK has 357 hp @ 5200 rpm.

But aresf1, that really sucks especially being just out of warranty. As long as you didn't have any valve/piston contact, repair is probably going to be your least painful option.
CavallinoRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2015, 10:23 AM   #13
aresf1
2010 WK 

Alright. Thanks for all the input. I'm using my contacts at Chrysler to try to drive this up the chain to see if they'll agree to cover it, or at least part of it.
Unread 05-15-2015, 10:43 AM   #14
scootter82
2009 WK 

Let us know if they cover it!

As far as the engines being de-tuned, what about those of us that have added a bunch of performance mods? Would we not be at risk, then?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.