Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - problems at 5,000 miles

7K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  1958denham 
#1 ·
My 2009 Jeep GCL has 5,000 miles.

Monday night, I was making a left turn and all my electronics cut out (radio turned off, blinkers didn't work, all the warning lights were on). The "Check Gauges" and "Check TCM (or semthing like that) Program" warning was flashing. The headlinghts stayed on, so I drove home, turned the car off, let it sit for a while and started the car again. Everything seemed fine after that.

Yesterday, my Bluetooth didn't work. Today it works.

This morning, the "Change Oil Now" warning came on for about a minute. I changed the oil at 3,900 miles, so I was surprised. Without doing anything, the oil change warning turned off.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this (other than "it's gremlins" ) I don't want to deal with the dealership/loaner hassle if I don't have to.

Any advice is much appreciated. Happy Holidays to all!

#2 ·
Does anyone have any thoughts on this (other than "it's gremlins" ) I don't want to deal with the dealership/loaner hassle if I don't have to.

1. Check for codes (key 3 times "on"-and-"off", then "on". Don't start car; if codes are present they will show). Alternately, some auto stores like AutoZone or Advance Auto will do a code check for free. If you get a code readout, go to Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - Diagnostic Trouble Codes to determine cause.

2. Check all body ground connections that you can find for a loose one, particularly around the control modules. I think I still have a floating ground somewhere in the body that causes spurious on-off function signals. Can't reproduce the conditions and the dealer can't find the cause.:confused:

3. Didn't work for me, but you could disable all automatic functions in the menu for the user preferences and enable them one by one. It was a great idea that didn't yield any definitive results in my Yeep.

I know that this is not a great list to solve your issues, but they are a start for you to eliminate causes before the dealer gets involved.
Important things if you decide to go to dealer for repair/diagnosis: Prepare a letter in advance with everything that happened and the circumstances, then ask that the service writer attach it to the repair order. That way it gets to the technician who evaluates your car. This letter should have VIN, mileage, & date. Save all of your service receipts and staple a copy of your letter to it in case you need it later on.

I wish you the best. Let us know if you get a definitive cause.

#4 ·
I had an issue with my wifes 09 Grand cherokee with 5 MILES!!! We drove it home and tried the A/C the next day and it only blew out hot air. It was a valve that switches from hot or cold. Its a jeep thing.

My first suspect would be water getting into a circuit board or something. I would definatley take it to the dealer though before you get stuck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.