2008 WK sway bar bushing removal query - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2008 WK sway bar bushing removal query

We still have some great deals going on!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 04-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #1
sarath
2008 WK 

2008 WK sway bar bushing removal query

I am trying to replace the sway bar bushings on my 2008 Overland. This is first time I am attempting any DIY on any vehicle ever! I got a craftsman torque wrench which I will use for tightening the bolt to 105ft-lb . However, for loosening and removing the bolt what I have is a standard wrench only 8 inch long with 3/8in drive and 21mm socket. I am just wondering if I should get something longer to generate the torque to loosen the bolt? Just want to know what people have used here.

Also, looks like I have to remove the skid plate to get on the other side of the lower bolt. Is that right?

Thanks!

sarath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2014, 06:53 PM   #2
BAH101
2008 WK 

The sway bar bushing bolts have nut plate on the backside, so you don't need to get behind it.
Get yourself some 1/2" drive sockets and ratchet and a 24" breaker bar to work on the bigger stuff. You will break your 3/8" stuff eventually.
Unread 04-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #3
sarath
2008 WK 

Thanks! Yeah..found that out when I actually removed the bolts. The tools I has worked for now..but yes, I will eventually upgrade to 1/2 inch drives.
sarath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.