2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee (WK) oil burning. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee (WK) oil burning.

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 08-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
alberto68888
2008 WK 

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee (WK) oil burning.

I bought a Jeep WK 08 4.7L and 16 spark plugs engine with 40k miles and a few months later i noticed its burning a lot of engine oil. Its about 1 quart every 300 miles so at the end of the month i got to use around 3quarts. i were using motul 5w30 full synthetic and after that i start to use Shell Helix 15w40. I have cleaned the pcv valve and get better but still burning, now around 1q/1k miles. Its also white smoke coming out all the time from the exhaust since engine get heat till turn off, i can see it while im parking or stopped.
I have changed the pcv valve aswell and didnt work. Did a dry compression test and got 4 cil with 150psi and other 4 cil with 125psi, dont know if thats a big difference between each but the mechanic says thats ok. I want to know what could cause the burning, the wk now is with 50k miles, spark plugs replaced came without oil and theres no leaks.

alberto68888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2014, 05:19 AM   #2
hdsport
2008 WK 

Hummmmmmm.......
"white" smoke is usually a red flag for a leaking head gasket.
The white smoke may be vaporized coolant exiting the tailpipe.
I suggest that you check your coolant level and ensure is stays at a constant level...either as cold or hot.
If you have to add coolant, this is a good indication that you may have a gasket problem.

Oil burned usually has a 'bluish' tint to it and will have an 'oil' odor.

Have you observed this , especially as you accelerate from a stop or as you accelerate after descending a hill?

Let us know .................
In God We Trust
hdsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
alberto68888
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdsport View Post
Hummmmmmm.......
"white" smoke is usually a red flag for a leaking head gasket.
The white smoke may be vaporized coolant exiting the tailpipe.
I suggest that you check your coolant level and ensure is stays at a constant level...either as cold or hot.
If you have to add coolant, this is a good indication that you may have a gasket problem.

Oil burned usually has a 'bluish' tint to it and will have an 'oil' odor.

Have you observed this , especially as you accelerate from a stop or as you accelerate after descending a hill?

Let us know .................
Yes you are right i have to add coolant and when i accelerate the smoke start to come out a lot of it. Also have some smoke when im stopped but not that much. When i put a finger in the tailpipe looks black and have a weird odor not sure if is coolant, oil or both. The spark plugs are ok, i just want to be sure that isnt a big deal, like worn rings or something that needs a entire engine rebuild.
Unread 08-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #4
hdsport
2008 WK 

I strongly suggest that you get your truck to someone that can troubleshoot the problem or you WILL be having a rebuild soon.
In God We Trust
hdsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

X10, on everything said above. If you don't get this figured out real quick, you'll end up with a huge money pit. If you get enough water/coolant into a cylinder, it is possible to hydorlock the engine. Right now, white smoke (probably coolant) is passing through the engine and out the exhaust, which can contaminate the O2 Sensors and the Catalytic Converters. If your fuel economy sucks, you may already fouled the O2's.

Pressure check the coolant system. If you're losing pressure, you must determine where it's going. Pull the top set of plugs and crank the engine to see if you get any water out of any cylinder(s). Be sure to pull the ASD relay. Are the low cylinders all on the same cylinder bank? Do you have the actual readings for each cylinder? Another way is to pressurize each cylinder and see if you're getting bubbles into the cooling system at the radiator. There are other ways to check this also, but these will narrow it down a bit. Also, I wouldn't run the engine any more, until you figure it out and get it repaired. Some of the main culprits here could be, cracked head, cracked block, or blown head gasket. Do you know if it has ever been overheated? This is very unusual for a vehicle with so few miles, unless the vehicle has been neglected and abused.

As far as the oil burning and low compression goes, a cylinder leakdown test would give you a clue as to whether the valves are bad and/or the rings are bad. You can also use this process, as mentioned above, to check for bubles in the cooling system. Problems here could be piston rings, leaking valves, leaking valve seals, etc. Good luck and let us know what you find.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2014, 12:50 PM   #6
alberto68888
2008 WK 

I have asked a few mechanics and everyone say that could be the valve stem seals, only one said that could be piston rins but want to be sure if they are right with that. I dont know for sure if the engine were overheated because i bought it with used with 40k. And the low compression cylenders are not in the same bank, they are #3, #4,#7 and #8. Is 125 psi too low compression? The guy who did the compression test said it was ok. Coolant system should be compressed? Everytime when i open the cover seems that wasnt compressed.
I got a big problem finding replacement parts in my country so i need to be sure about what i have to repair, many people say it is worn valve stem seals. If thats the problem, which parts do i need to change?

EDIT: My fuel avg is 11mpg, its ok?

Last edited by alberto68888; 08-14-2014 at 05:53 PM..
Unread 08-25-2014, 05:01 PM   #7
alberto68888
2008 WK 

Two weeks ago went to a mechanics and made a fuel inyectors clean, right after that while driving in traffic the engine turn off with no check engine lights on or dtc code, must stop and put parking and start over normally, that happens one time everyday in traffic until yesterday i was in highway running at 40mph and stopped at the middle of the highway just like other times but wasnt in traffic. Have cleaned the throttle body and check the spark plugs and coils, everythign seems ok... Any idea?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.