2008 Jeep Commander Recall #N23 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2008 Jeep Commander Recall #N23

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 07-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
camruny
2007 JK Wrangler 

2008 Jeep Commander Recall #N23

I am trying to buy a 2008 Jeep Commander Limited, but the dealer said that they cannot allow me to test drive the vehicle, or sell it until a recall is fixed. The recall is listed as #N23 REPROGRAM FINAL DRIVE CONTROLLER, apparently a software issue can cause the transfer case to be shifted into neutral when you start the vehicle, and Chrysler is working on sending a software patch to dealers. The software patch was supposed to be released beginning in June, and it's now July. Does anyone have any idea when this will be repaired, I am anxious to get this new Jeep!

camruny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Yes we are all aware of it....I have heard that dealers have the fix.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

There are a couple threads on this that have been going on already. They should be able to tell you more. I know people have already gotten their recall letters but aren't able to get it fixed since software isn't out yet. Hopefully it'll be out by the end of the month.
Unread 08-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
HappyNomad
2006 XK Commander 

I was at my dealer a few days ago for this update. The update failed and I was told that the mother ship was unable to help. They are working on "it".....
'98 Cherokee Limited --- S-O-L-D! :(
HappyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
Umbrella
2006 XK Commander 

I had it completed thursday without issue.

“If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right!” Mae West
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNomad View Post
I was at my dealer a few days ago for this update. The update failed and I was told that the mother ship was unable to help. They are working on "it".....
that's interesting. Do you have any idea exactly what failed?

Here's the service procedure:
Reprogram Final Drive Controller Module
NOTE: The wiTECH scan tool must be used to perform this recall. This procedure must be performed with software release level 13.04 or higher. If the reprogramming flash for the FDCM is aborted or interrupted, repeat the procedure.
1. Open the hood. Install a battery charger and verify that the charging rate provides 13.0 to 13.5 volts. Do not allow the charger to time out during the flash process. Set the battery charger timer (if so equipped) to continuous charge.
NOTE: Use an accurate stand-alone voltmeter. The battery charger volt meter may not be sufficiently accurate. Voltages outside of the specified range will cause an unsuccessful flash. If voltage reading is too high, apply an electrical load by activating the park or headlamps and/or HVAC blower motor to lower the voltage.
2. Connect the wiTECH VCI pod to the vehicle data link connector.
3. Place the ignition in the “RUN” position.
4. Open the wiTECH Diagnostic application.
5. Starting at the “Select Tool” screen, highlight the row/tool for the wiPOD device you are using. Then select “Next” at bottom right side of the screen. Parts Information Special Tools Service Procedure
6. Enter your “User id” and “Password”, then select “Finish” at the bottom of the screen.
7. Perform a vehicle scan report before reprogramming the FDCM. Print a copy of the report and attach to the work order.
8. From the “Vehicle View” screen, click on the “FDCM” icon.
9. Select the “Flash Tab”.
10. From the “FDCM View” screen, compare the “Current Flash Number” with the “New Part Number” listed on the “sort table”. If the “Current Flash Number” is the same as the “New Part Number” continue to Step 17. If the part numbers are not the same, continue to Step 11.
11. With the cursor over the desired flash file, click the small green arrow button on the right side of the screen.
12. From the “ECU Flash” screen follow the wiTECH screen instructions to complete the flash.
13. Once the flash is complete click the “OK” button on the “ECU Flash” screen.
14. Select the “Clear Stored DTC’s” button and then check for DTC’s.
15. For vehicles with active Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) “C140F” perform the following procedure:
a. Turn the ignition key to the “OFF” position and remove the key from the ignition switch.
b. Insert the key into the ignition switch and place the ignition in the “RUN” position.
c. Navigate to and select the FDCM “DTC” tab.
d. Clear all stored and active DTC’s for a second time.
e. Clear all stored DTC’s for a third time.
NOTE: If DTC C140F is still present and active, additional diagnosis is required.
16. From the “FDC View” screen, compare the “Current Flash Number” with the “New Part Number” listed on the “sort table”. If the “Current Flash Number” is the same as the “New Part Number” the flash is complete. If the part numbers are not the same, repeat Steps 8 through 15.
17. Turn the ignition to the “OFF” position and remove the wiTECH VCI pod and battery charger from the vehicle.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 02:13 AM   #7
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by camruny View Post
I am trying to buy a 2008 Jeep Commander Limited, but the dealer said that they cannot allow me to test drive the vehicle, or sell it until a recall is fixed.
The recall clearly states that you can use the parking brake as a legitimate workaround. Just as long as the parking brake works, then you should be fine to test drive and buy. These morons could not sell their way out of a paper bag. Tell them that you will sign a waiver that you will not sue anyone over a failure related to this specific recall.
Unread 08-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #8
JeepCares

I think it's a matter of the dealer breaking the law. It's an incomplete recall.
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares
I think it's a matter of the dealer breaking the law. It's an incomplete recall.
Assuming its a jeep dealer (since a recall is performed by the dealer) one would like to think that Jeep would care and do something about it. Especially if a corporation like jeep thinks a dealer is breaking the law.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
JeepCares

What I'm trying to say is that the dealer can't sell a vehicle with an incomplete recall. And it sounds like the dealer is not going to sell the vehicle until the recall is completed.
Unread 08-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #11
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
What I'm trying to say is that the dealer can't sell a vehicle with an incomplete recall. And it sounds like the dealer is not going to sell the vehicle until the recall is completed.
Jeepcares is on the mark. It was probably intended for consumer protection against unscrupulous car dealers.

If you want to expedite the process, make the following proposal to the salesperson:

I'll buy the vehicle now with the following 2 written stipulations in the purchase agreement:
  1. You complete the recall and provide objective evidence it was satisfactorily completed.
  2. You provide a "loaner" jeep for me to use until my new Jeep is ready for pickup.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #12
Umbrella
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Jeepcares is on the mark. It was probably intended for consumer protection against unscrupulous car dealers.

If you want to expedite the process, make the following proposal to the salesperson:

I'll buy the vehicle now with the following 2 written stipulations in the purchase agreement:
  1. You complete the recall and provide objective evidence it was satisfactorily completed.
  2. You provide a "loaner" jeep for me to use until my new Jeep is ready for pickup.
I think the issue was that they won't allow him to test drive it, which would be important to do BEFORE buying!

“If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right!” Mae West
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #13
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
I think the issue was that they won't allow him to test drive it, which would be important to do BEFORE buying!
I stand corrected. Sounds anal retentive on the dealer's part to me, but I can envision their interpretation.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #14
GermantownJeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I bought my WK last month without the recall being completed. I don't think they had the fix at that time. Maybe I should sue them

I wasn't too worried about it. I'm just using the parking brake until I take it back in.
Unread 08-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #15
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Jeep is still waiting for parts on my WJ for the airbag recall that came out in January. You mean to tell me that no one can sell a WJ for seven months and counting? I call BS. My dealer has a couple WJs listed for sale right now. I bet that tens of thousands of WJs were sold over the last seven months without the airbag recall being fixed. They may never get parts for the airbag recall. This recall has hit millions of vehicles across multiple manufacturers, and hardly any have been fixed. Yet, sales continue.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.