2008 HEMI Overland Stalling - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2008 HEMI Overland Stalling

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #16
mrasnk
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Nothing else you can do except bug Jeep Customer Care some more times.

Unfortunately, Jeep removed the schrader valve on the fuel rail on the '08 model year. Not so easy to check fuel pressure it anymore.
However, I would guess that fuel pressure less than required for spray atomization would result in an out-of-spec reading at the O2 sensors and/or cylinder misfire codes (ie, DTC's).

Since the engine runs otherwise normally, it is unlikely (but not certain) that the fuel pump/filter in the tank is at fault. When my injectors started going bad, I got sporadic misfire DTC's. We relocated specific spark plugs and injectors and were able to trace the DTC to several injectors. Eventually all fuel injectors had to be renewed. The full suite replacement. plus clearing an exhaust leak ended to DTC's.

You are not reporting specific DTC's in this are, so bad injectors seems unlikely. Also, I didn't read that you verified dark upper electrode connections (to the coils) on your spark plugs. Certain of the Champion 570's have silver-colored upper electrodes. MOPAR's Star Case says these are not to their spec. Only have to pull 1 coil pack to see which color you have installed.

One thing your dealer can do is equip your Heep with a "flight recorder" on the OBD2 port. It will collect the last 3 trips and can be started recording if a problem develops. The results can be read on their StarScan and downloaded to MOPAR if necessary. I understand that it's not generating DTC's, but maybe the recorded engine parameters will provide MOPAR a clue towards establishing the root cause.

Thanks for all of the info Walt. I spoke to the Tech and he advised no codes in the computer at all. They found 2 codes in the history (1 for seat and 1 for radio). It is almost like the stalling "never happened". The plugs are the black top-I have the old ones as well as they were black top too. Coil packs are brand new.

I will ask about the flight recorder. I s/w the dealer Friday and he said they were going to drop the tank and look at fuel filter/pump as it acts like it is running out of gas in the videos... He said possibly a baffle in the fuel filter?

I will update as I get more info. Been a week in the dealership already-temps above 32 degrees all week and no stall, so they haven't been able to replicate the issue. It does happen when it is below freezing-did it 3 days (all below freezing outside) in a row if that means anything.

I will update as I get updates. Thanks again everyone.

Unread 12-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #17
xjrev10
2005 WK 

Have you tried a full transmission service? Both filters and new fluid? If so is your level okay?
Unread 12-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #18
lekmedm
2007 XK Commander 

I've heard of similar problems that were caused be a faulty or worn ignition switch. Supposedly inexpensive and easy to replace.
2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Wrangler Silent Armors / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Caroline Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / Activated: DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29 Chrome CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights / Sylvania Silverstars Ultra hi/low & yellow fogs / Optima yellow top
"4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman
lekmedm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #19
mrasnk
2008 WK 

Last week, the replaced the fuel pump. Nothing out of the ordinary in tank and no notable issues with old pump. The mechanic wanted to rule this out all together. The Jeep ran fine until 2 days ago. I had to come to a hard stop in traffic it tried to stall out and then "lurched" forward before the rpm's rebounded. It almost felt like I was driving my friend's manual Jeep and stopping in gear. I filmed it again the next day (thurday). Here is the link-for whatever reason, the video is sideways.

Next week, they are giving me the flight recorder to see what it finds. Once it warms up, it is fine. In warmer temps ( it got up to 45 yesterday and was 45 this morning, it didn't do it)

Any thoughts?
Unread 12-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #20
mrasnk
2008 WK 

Also: Transmission was done 5 months ago, fluid refill and replacment of filters.
Unread 12-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #21
mrasnk
2008 WK 

Update-missing at idle in park. Please see this video-the Jeep missing at idle while in park

I will be getting the flight recorder tomorrow, so we will see what happens from here.
Unread 01-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #22
mrasnk
2008 WK 

UPDATE:

So I have received the information on the flight recorder findings. I was able to record 2 bog down instances and 1 complete stall. The data was uploaded and according to the engineers the computer is "being reset". I spoke to the dealership and they are not sure what is causing the "resetting" of the PCM, which causes the vehicle to bog down and at times stall. Whatever it is, it is badly affected by the colder temperatures. Since it hasn't been as cold as it was, it hasn't done it.

Any thoughts?
Unread 01-23-2014, 02:27 AM   #23
imann
2006 WK 

These hemi are very particular motors.You should pm yzjwk wth this issue as he is a guru wth these diagnostic issues....solved mine just this morning ...good luck my friend
06WK slvr#107-hemi-QDII-3.5 Mopar-bilsteins-JBA frnt discos-275/70r17 BFG KM2 MTs-BT cc-
Airraid CAI-Magnaflow exh-super chip prgmr-9k MM winch in custom frnt bumper wth D-rng's
4x grd frnt/rear skids & rear sliders w/D-rng's-BT shrty ant-stillen crs drlld x4-pinch weld mod
imann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 12:08 PM   #24
mrasnk
2008 WK 

UPDATE

So picked up the Jeep last Friday. They found a code for transmission after doing emissions test-I can post code later. The issue was inside of the valve body and shift pack. Their were metal shavings found within the valve body and a bad shift pack seal. The seal wasn't holding pressure and when coming to a stop in the cold the transmission would apparently lose pressure and bogg down and stall out the Jeep!

Since the repair, has been in the negative degrees and so far no issues. Only time will tell, but figured I would share.

Thank you all for the input!
Unread 02-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #25
xjrev10
2005 WK 

Awesome news finding the issue!
Unread 02-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #26
redwolf698
2004 WJ 

SHIFT PACK? What did they to ameliorate the issue? Did they replace the transmission? If there were metal shaving in one part, there are metal shavings all throughout it. if they didnt pull the transmission, completely disassemble, flush the cooler, lines, replace the torque converter and replace the clutches, seals, gaskets and electronics, then you are bound to have issues soon.
Boat Drinks OffRoad Co-Founder
redwolf698 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #27
mrasnk
2008 WK 

Here is another point of concern-look into where the wire harness sits on top of the engine. When the resonator is placed back on top of the engine-it tends to push the wire harness right on top of the coil packs. As mentioned in previous trends-this tends to be a problem with EMI and a quick thing to check.

Tags
jeep , stalling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.