2008 HEMI Overland Stalling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2008 HEMI Overland Stalling

Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 12-04-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
mrasnk
2008 WK 

2008 HEMI Overland Stalling

Hi all,

So I have been having issues with my 2008 Jeep Overland (HEMI 5.7) for about a year now. It has had a terrible stalling problem. It stalls when coming to stops, in traffic, at idle, in parking lots, and anywhere else you can think of.

So far, the following have been replaced:
Crank sensor, cam sensor, EGR, Throttle, all 8 coil packs, all 16 plugs, TIPM, PCM 5 times, MAP, Wireless control module, and fobix keys.

Nothing has resolved this issue. The issue will go away and the Jeep will be fine for about 3 weeks, then stalls once again.

It has been to several dealerships and issues have still not been fixed.

I wanted to see if anyone else may have experienced similar issues and had them resolved. Please see the below videos of the stalling episodes I caught on film. Both days the temp was under 30 degrees (the one video shows 50, because it was sitting out in the sun)

The stalling starts to subside the longer it runs too-not sure if this means anything.

Any thoughts woudl be much appreciated.

Unread 12-04-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
yzjwk
2005 WK 

I don't know how cold it was when you took these, or how long the jeep was running prior , but your Jeep seems to take WAAAY longer to get up to temp then mine does . At -12C ( 10F) I command started my jeep this morning and 2min later the guage was reading . and not 1/2 mile away my gauge is almost at normal op temp . I watched your temp guage and i think it's definitely slow compared to mine , especially after it starts to move ( after the thermostat opens) . Maybe you have a thermostat partially open ? I take it you don't have any DTC's or pending ? Have any of the mechanics drove around with the scanner connected ?
Good luck
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
caulk04
2008 WK 

I hope you have a good warranty paying for all those shotgunned parts...

How is the battery? Last trans service? Just curious, likely not related, though possible.

You say the throttle was replaced. You mean the throttle body?
Unread 12-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
mrasnk
2008 WK 

The temp was around 26 degrees that day (it had sat in the sun so the digital outdoor temp was higher and decreased in video). Coolant was flushed and refilled last year.

Transmission fluid was replaced 5 months ago, and yes you are correct the throttle body was replaced (whole assy). Battery is 2 years old.
Unread 12-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Dealer should definitely be driving that around with the scanner especially being as repeateable as it is . I would still say it's taking too long to warm up . Looks to me like the engine is trying to go into closed loop mode and something is not letting it possibly , but you should at least have a pending DTC or incorrect temp sender , data , something .They should be able to data log this and find out what's amiss .
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrasnk View Post
Hi all,

So I have been having issues with my 2008 Jeep Overland (HEMI 5.7) for about a year now. It has had a terrible stalling problem. It stalls when coming to stops, in traffic, at idle, in parking lots, and anywhere else you can think of.

So far, the following have been replaced:
Crank sensor, cam sensor, EGR, Throttle, all 8 coil packs, all 16 plugs, TIPM, PCM 5 times, MAP, Wireless control module, and fobix keys.

Nothing has resolved this issue. The issue will go away and the Jeep will be fine for about 3 weeks, then stalls once again.

It has been to several dealerships and issues have still not been fixed.

I wanted to see if anyone else may have experienced similar issues and had them resolved. Please see the below videos of the stalling episodes I caught on film. Both days the temp was under 30 degrees (the one video shows 50, because it was sitting out in the sun)

The stalling starts to subside the longer it runs too-not sure if this means anything...
There are 2 other related threads on this. One for the model year 2008 and one for model year 2007 (charlesrshell started it).

Recommend you do a search and be prepared for a long read (wear a tinfoil hat). Have not heard a successful fix to-date.

Also, report this to the NHTSA as a safety defect. Other owners are doing it to try to force the issue to a faster resolution.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
mrasnk
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
There are 2 other related threads on this. One for the model year 2008 and one for model year 2007 (charlesrshell started it).

Recommend you do a search and be prepared for a long read (wear a tinfoil hat). Have not heard a successful fix to-date.

Also, report this to the NHTSA as a safety defect. Other owners are doing it to try to force the issue to a faster resolution.

Thank you, I have reported EVERYTIME it stalled to NHTSA! Do I need to do anything further beyond that point? This has been in the dealership for 2 months, then it was fixed for about 3 weeks and now back to dealership.

Do you have the link for this thread?
Unread 12-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #8
maloj2003wj
2006 WK 

How about fuel pump/filter?
Unread 12-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
mrasnk
2008 WK 

never touched the fuel pump/filter. Does that seem right to occur with a change in temp?
Unread 12-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #10
maloj2003wj
2006 WK 

Not sure, just threw it out there as a suggestion. May be you can check fuel pressure. Also could it be that its running too lean?? Check O2 sensors. I'm not a mechanic but this is what came to my mind after reading the post.
Unread 12-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #11
satgdave
2005 KJ Liberty 

U have your timing advanced to far try cutting and adjusting it. That's why ur stalling out when ur engine is starving for fuel and air. Sound's like a bad timing to me.
satgdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #12
satgdave
2005 KJ Liberty 

And dude I'm jealous u got the hemi damn it I'm stuck with the 3.7 if u want to get rid of it I'll take it )
satgdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #13
mrasnk
2008 WK 

thank you for the suggestions. It is at a dealer now and they called today - had 2 codes in the computer ( one for radio and one for power seat ) completely unrelated to stalling and no other codes present. They are leaning towards fuel pump and asked when I had gotten gas (got gas on Sunday, started stalling last Wednesday) after temp dropped below 30 degrees.

Does this make sense though- once it has been running for say 15-20 minutes, it doesn't seem to act up as much....maybe just coincidence?

satgdave - trust me, you don't want it! haha
Unread 12-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #14
xjrev10
2005 WK 

My 05 stalls randomly also. Ill be curious to see what the stealer says.
Unread 12-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #15
Walt
2008 WK 

Nothing else you can do except bug Jeep Customer Care some more times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maloj2003wj View Post
.... May be you can check fuel pressure......
Unfortunately, Jeep removed the schrader valve on the fuel rail on the '08 model year. Not so easy to check fuel pressure it anymore.
However, I would guess that fuel pressure less than required for spray atomization would result in an out-of-spec reading at the O2 sensors and/or cylinder misfire codes (ie, DTC's).

Since the engine runs otherwise normally, it is unlikely (but not certain) that the fuel pump/filter in the tank is at fault. When my injectors started going bad, I got sporadic misfire DTC's. We relocated specific spark plugs and injectors and were able to trace the DTC to several injectors. Eventually all fuel injectors had to be renewed. The full suite replacement. plus clearing an exhaust leak ended to DTC's.

You are not reporting specific DTC's in this are, so bad injectors seems unlikely. Also, I didn't read that you verified dark upper electrode connections (to the coils) on your spark plugs. Certain of the Champion 570's have silver-colored upper electrodes. MOPAR's Star Case says these are not to their spec. Only have to pull 1 coil pack to see which color you have installed.

One thing your dealer can do is equip your Heep with a "flight recorder" on the OBD2 port. It will collect the last 3 trips and can be started recording if a problem develops. The results can be read on their StarScan and downloaded to MOPAR if necessary. I understand that it's not generating DTC's, but maybe the recorded engine parameters will provide MOPAR a clue towards establishing the root cause.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
jeep , stalling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.