2008 HEMI overheating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2008 HEMI overheating

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 10-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
BHPhungry
2008 WK 

2008 HEMI overheating

For the past few months I have noticed the coolant levels dropping, I top it up and all is well for another month, but recently its been every week. so something is getting worse...leak, hose...? so it went to a local garage who said they found the suspect, a split hose...all was well.. this was 4 weeks ago....i am about to do my monthly check ups on the levels (the wife drives the car daily approx 40kms) and today she call me to say that the engine has shut off and steam is coming form the hood! not a good sign if ever there was one...so i rushed home to check the status...not being mechanically minded, I only know some basics....first i checked from where the steam was coming and i noticed the top up reservoir cap open and on the underside of the hood i could see where the steam had poured out.... an hour had passed so i topped up the reservoir (totally empty!) and checked for any loose pipes, hoses that i could see..all fine...i checked the dipstick and the oil is still good (my biggest worry, headgasket!) had an oil change about 3000kms ago (fully synthetic of course)so i chose to turn the key to see if there was still any errors, all fine..so i spark her up and all is well...I notice that the AC was not at full chill so i give her some revs to 3000rpm and its starts chilling...keeping an eye on the temp gauge...its going up..passes the center....goes two lines the wrong way and i turn her off...
i check the rad reservoir again...it's empty?! i check the ground..no leaks, no puddles? so i top it up again to see if its draining....nothing....at this point I am not going to risk doing anything until I can get her checked out.....so guys n girls...any suggestions?
btw shes just done 100,000km's, all diff oils changed, Gbox oil etc all to book regs, serviced out here every 7000km's (Dubai is hot ALL the time! so they need some extra TLC)

BHPhungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
corswandtm
2007 WK 

I had an empty reservoir and an overheat. Replaced the water pump and its good to go.
Unread 10-10-2012, 03:29 AM   #3
BHPhungry
2008 WK 

Well... Unfortunately it was the Rad (small leak that had got gradually worse) and an Auxillary fan and a few hoses that failed in the over heat...$2000! Oh and in there is also a replacement a/c hose that failed going to evaporator. Apparently that went in the over heat as well... Hey ho another day another dollar....
BHPhungry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2008 grand cherokee , hemi , overheating

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.