2008 Grand Cherokee Stalling Issues - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2008 Grand Cherokee Stalling Issues

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #76
towermonkey
2008 WK 

I've got the exact same stalling issues, but mine is not the Hemi, but rather the 4.7. Have to return the key all the way to off then restart. It has happened at both highway speeds and accelerating or slowing down. No codes. It nearly got me killed yesterday when trying to merge into a crowded highway...

towermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #77
LouC
2007 WK 

The one in the vids, I noticed that both times it stalled the engine was not fully warmed up. Has it also stalled at normal operating temps?
Unread 12-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #78
towermonkey
2008 WK 

I think that when this started, that was when it happened, but now it is any time. I will try plugs and check my coils this weekend and do a good inspection of the wiring harness. I know one other person with a 5.7 hemi that is having this issue as well. After reading this thread, I think and email to Chrysler Corporation might be in order with a link to this and other forums. As somebody else mentioned, it is a safety issue and they need to take it seriously. I fix things like this myself, but that is not all that common.
towermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 06:09 AM   #79
mrasnk
2008 WK 

The Jeep usually does not stall once warmed up, however it indeed has happened. It stalled on the freeway a few times when driving 45-50 mph. The only warning ever illuminated is the red oil lamp. These videos were taken after all 16 plugs and 8 coil packs were replaced by the dealership-might save you all some time. After warming up, it has also started missing badly at idle, even in warmer weather.

I will be getting a flight recorder setup this Friday so we will see what happens. I will keep you updated!

Here is a video of the Jeep's most recent episode in my driveway. This is after driving 20 minutes on freeway/back roads/etc in dry weather. (closely watch RPMs)

Unread 12-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #80
royo
2008 WK 

Going to throw mine in as well. 2008 Grand Cherokee 5.7L hemi. Build date of 06/08. Stalled last night at 70mph on highway. Changed crank and cam sensors. Going to try another set of plugs. I'm sure everybody has asked, but what has changed? We have had it since brand new and it didn't do this at first.
royo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #81
mrasnk
2008 WK 

Well, I purchased mine about a year ago and am the second owner. (2008 Overland 5.7 HEMI, 81,000 miles) Unknown to me at the time, it stalled on it's previous owner's wife on the freeway and that is why they traded it in (friend of the car lot owner).

The Jeep was stalling on the freeway, in parking lots, on sidestreets, pulling out into traffic, and even had a brief issue with unintended acceleration (until it was completely undrivable). To date, the following have been replaced.

all 16 spark plugs and 8 coil packs
Cam and Crank sensors
MAP sensor
EGR
Throttle body
PCM (4 times)
TIPM
Wireless/front control module and Keys
Fuel pump

These have been replaced over a period of almost a year. It (so far) stopped stalling on the freeway (after coil packs and plugs) but now has a nasty misfire while at idle and tries to stall out when coming to a stop when it is cold or parked (as seen in video). It will stall at times, but not nearly as much as it used to do-much less dangerous, but still not safe.

I am still waiting on the flight recorder and will post updates as i have them.
Unread 12-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #82
mrasnk
2008 WK 

build date for mine (3/14/2008)
Unread 12-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #83
charlesrshell
2007 WK 

I started a thread 1 January 2011 concerning stall issues for my 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland HEMI. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/2...oblem-1147825/ A post today #1029 by mongo1953 is what I think is the possible cause for this stalling nightmare.
charlesrshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #84
royo
2008 WK 

Tried the zip tie of the PCM harness to the hard ac line. Jeep stalled twice on the way home just now. Both times it was at 70mph. Still searching I guess.
Unread 01-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #85
royo
2008 WK 

I'm my own worst enemy sometimes. Two years ago when this mess started I replaced the plugs with Napa Champion 570's. I just took them out and the tops are silver vs the OEM Champions which the tops are black. I'll put the Mopar Champions in and see what happens. I bought the Napa ones because they were half the price. Lesson learned I hope.
Unread 01-04-2014, 04:04 PM   #86
royo
2008 WK 

So far so good. The OEM Champions have been in since Wednesday and I havent had a stall since. I hope this does it.
Unread 01-04-2014, 05:32 PM   #87
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by royo View Post
So far so good. The OEM Champions have been in since Wednesday and I havent had a stall since. I hope this does it.
Would still like someone to take resistance readings between their silver-topped Champion 570's and black-oxide-topped OEM plugs. Then post here for all to compare. (I only have black-tips available so I can't do it.)

Looking at the resistance between the top and lower center electrodes. Ideally, the capacitance and inductance could be measured also with an LCR meter. My initial readings showed some big differences between my dealer-furnished MOPAR OEM and charlesrshell's Champion 3570's. Capacitance functions as an energy storage (and slows the voltage buildup); the inductance as a choke (and slows the current buildup). Since the secondary side is a transient circuit, I would expect different performance from circuit elements of different values.

If anyone wants, send me 4 of each type (silver tip Champion 570's and black-tip OEM) and I will get the LCR meter, measure them, and report the results.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 06:19 AM   #88
royo
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Would still like someone to take resistance readings between their silver-topped Champion 570's and black-oxide-topped OEM plugs. Then post here for all to compare. (I only have black-tips available so I can't do it.)

Looking at the resistance between the top and lower center electrodes. Ideally, the capacitance and inductance could be measured also with an LCR meter. My initial readings showed some big differences between my dealer-furnished MOPAR OEM and charlesrshell's Champion 3570's. Capacitance functions as an energy storage (and slows the voltage buildup); the inductance as a choke (and slows the current buildup). Since the secondary side is a transient circuit, I would expect different performance from circuit elements of different values.

If anyone wants, send me 4 of each type (silver tip Champion 570's and black-tip OEM) and I will get the LCR meter, measure them, and report the results.
Still running good so far no problems.
Walt, I was able to find 5 of the silver top Champion 570's I bought from Napa. PM me with your address and I will mail them to you if you are still interested.
Unread 01-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #89
ttusqrl
WK Supporter
2005 WK 

I just picked up 16 Champion 570s from Summit. Sounds like those aren't going to work after reading this. I'm happy to send some to you Walt if you want to test them. Glad I found this out before I put them in.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 01-09-2014, 10:46 PM   #90
vrsoft
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've been following this thread for a few weeks now, contemplating which spark plugs to use ("Parts store" Champion RE14MCC4 570 vs. Mopar Champion SPRE14MCC4 570).I have a 2007 Jeep Commander Limited due for its 100k service, which includes full spark plug swap-out.

I created this cheat-sheet to keep my my research in one place (note: green text indicates official OEM plug #, as per Mopar parts catalogue for each XK model year):

jeep-commander-spark-plugs.jpg

I then decided to purchase 1 Spark plug from the Parts Store (Lordco, here in BC Canada) and 1 from my local Chrysler Dealership so I could compare them. This is my result:

jeep-commander-spark-plugs2.jpg

The spark plugs are completely identical in every way. The box, tip colour, "dot" next to the Champion name on the plug, all other markings on the plug, gap, the fine print on the spark plug boxes etc... are all 100% identical.

The only difference is I pay $3.49 vs. $5.80 (at the dealership) for the same plug.

It appears that the dealership is either selling me non-Mopar labelled plugs (which wouldn't surprise me) or, at least in my neck of the woods, the plugs are actually all the same no matter where you buy them.

For those who purchase plugs from the dealership, do the boxes/markings etc match up to what my experience was? i.e., anything differentiating about them?)

Unless anyone discovers something compelling in the next week or so, I'm going to pickup the remaining 14 Champion plugs that I still need to purchase, do the spark plug change, and see how my Commander runs.
vrsoft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2008 grand cherokee , grand cherokee , stall , stalling

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.