2008 Grand Cherokee Stalling Issues - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2008 Grand Cherokee Stalling Issues

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 11-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #46
2008WK_Canuck

Anyone tried to replace the powertrain control modules?
I see two according to diagrams 05187296AB and 05150258AC for my 5.7L 4WD Overland. It's about $500 in parts. I wonder if it would be a waste of cash. What are the odds of a solder in there being weak?

2008WK_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #47
wopdendries

Just reading through your thread here and Ive been a mechanic for 30 years at a independant garage. Your problem is the electical part of the ignition switch. $70 for the switch, easy to change.
wopdendries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #48
1EvilHemi
2007 WK 

My 07 overland had the same problem.

Engine harness has a defect. The ignition coils seem to send spark out and it shorts out the ECM. Quick fix is wrapping foil around the engine harness on pass side, and grounding the foil.

image-3230820287.jpg

It's been 1800 miles since I did this and NO stalls!!
07 Red Rock Crystal Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QDII. Gibson 3" Cat Back exhaust, modified K&N FIPK cold air intake wet sanded, primed & painted PEM Red Rock Crystal with custom "EVIL HEMI" K&N decal design. Custom Mopar Engine Cover Insert with additional air slots. Removed OEM sticker pin striping. Hawk Performance LTS Brake pads, Stillen cross drilled rotors, OEM calipers custom Duplicolor mix-painted dark red. LED lighted red cup holder rings. 2" Daystar lift kit & Bilstein shocks purchased (awaiting installation).
1EvilHemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 01:53 AM   #49
1EvilHemi
2007 WK 

image-3085377598.jpg
07 Red Rock Crystal Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QDII. Gibson 3" Cat Back exhaust, modified K&N FIPK cold air intake wet sanded, primed & painted PEM Red Rock Crystal with custom "EVIL HEMI" K&N decal design. Custom Mopar Engine Cover Insert with additional air slots. Removed OEM sticker pin striping. Hawk Performance LTS Brake pads, Stillen cross drilled rotors, OEM calipers custom Duplicolor mix-painted dark red. LED lighted red cup holder rings. 2" Daystar lift kit & Bilstein shocks purchased (awaiting installation).
Unread 03-10-2013, 01:55 AM   #50
1EvilHemi
2007 WK 

image-650246217.jpg
Unread 03-13-2013, 01:09 AM   #51
1EvilHemi
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wopdendries View Post
Just reading through your thread here and Ive been a mechanic for 30 years at a independant garage. Your problem is the electical part of the ignition switch. $70 for the switch, easy to change.
Its been done. There is a 65 page discussion on this issue on another thread. The only logical explanation that we have come up with is an EMP is going back to the computer causing a shut down.. Many from the other thread have pulled out there computers and 1/4 of it is fried. Im afraid to see what mine looks like. Im defiantly no mechanic, just a chick who loves her hemi and learning the mechanics as i go.. However im sure your idea has been attemped but i will foward your thought to the other thread and see what others say. Thanks a lot.
Unread 03-14-2013, 06:09 AM   #52
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wopdendries View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1EvilHemi View Post
Its been done. There is a 65 page discussion on this issue on another thread. The only logical explanation that we have come up with is an EMP is going back to the computer causing a shut down.. Many from the other thread have pulled out there computers and 1/4 of it is fried. Im afraid to see what mine looks like. Im defiantly no mechanic, just a chick who loves her hemi and learning the mechanics as i go.. However im sure your idea has been attemped but i will foward your thought to the other thread and see what others say. Thanks a lot.
The most successful temporary fixes have come from moving the wiring harness up & away from the coils, which just happens to coincide with the aluminum foil wrap. Some think it is EMI, but I believe it is a defect in a splice in the wiring harness for that Tier 1 supplier's production run. The splices are buried in the wiring looms per the FSM (see Section 8W at the end). If they short out between conductors or there is a circuit that opens/closes based on engine physical movement (like on its rubber mounts when decelerating), it will cause a surge to the PCM or cause a momentary loss of signal.
If it were purely EMI, then it would happen to all cylinders all of the time. Faraday's Law and Gauss' Law are not selective. If James Clerk Maxwell were still here we could ask him!

I had a similar problem in the wiring between my tailgate & body, where it passes in a rubber boot at the top. It chafed and abraded away the rubber insulation after <20K miles. Shorted wire (on occasion) went to ground, left all of the interior lights on and caused the battery to go dead. The occurrences had no particular pattern and seemed totally random. I only found it by moving / checking every wire in the tailgate/rear body area.

I've advocated 2 things for the stalling issue:
1. Wiggle/tug all of the engine wiring harnesses in the area where there are splices to try to locate the faulty connection. Think there are 4 or 5 IIRC.
2. Check the length of the crankshaft position sensor under the RHS rear of the HEMI's by the transmission bell housing. Looking to see if there is sufficient slack to allow engine to move on its rubber mounts, yet still maintain connection and electrical continuity. Would have to do this on a lift.

Both should be tried while the engine is running. The build dates for the stalling '08 model year HEMI's seems to be August '07 and earlier. Mine is Sept '07 and never stalls. Maybe Jeep should be researching its supplier records to see if there as a design change implemented at that time or Tier 1 supplier for the engine wiring harnesses was changed.

Here are 3 clues to chase down (and possibly eliminate) as root causes.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #53
jayh231

I have had the same issues since 51,000 miles. Mine will turn off at any speed on the highway, stopped at a light, turning, or even slowing down. I have an appointment tomorrow to take it in for the 7th time. It has been to 2 different dealerships and all they do is guess. I have contacted Chrysler and NHTSA and Chrysler finally assigned a case manager. They have replaced the coil packs and attempted some other bulletins that Chrysler has recommended. I am to the point that I want to lite the Jeep on fire and drive it into the Chrysler headquarters. I have had many close call accidents with this thing. Its a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L Hemi. If people are still having this issue please contact me, I am willing to head up a petition and get the ball rolling on Chrysler.
jayh231 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #54
charlesrshell
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayh231 View Post
I have had the same issues since 51,000 miles. Mine will turn off at any speed on the highway, stopped at a light, turning, or even slowing down. I have an appointment tomorrow to take it in for the 7th time. It has been to 2 different dealerships and all they do is guess. I have contacted Chrysler and NHTSA and Chrysler finally assigned a case manager. They have replaced the coil packs and attempted some other bulletins that Chrysler has recommended. I am to the point that I want to lite the Jeep on fire and drive it into the Chrysler headquarters. I have had many close call accidents with this thing. Its a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L Hemi. If people are still having this issue please contact me, I am willing to head up a petition and get the ball rolling on Chrysler.
Has your dealer inspected or changed the spark plugs?
charlesrshell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #55
wopdendries

Spark plugs in the 5.7 need to be changed every 30,000 miles. Especially on the Jeeps I have seen the plugs cause interference with the engine module/module wiring when they are worn out because they create a higher resistance.
wopdendries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #56
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayh231 View Post
.... Its a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L Hemi...
What is your build date. IIRC, thus far, only the pre-Sept 2007 builds are experiencing this.

There is another thread on this forum for stalling 5.7L hemi build dates. Member in NY was collecting them for transfer to ??.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #57
jayh231

Jeep stalling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
What is your build date. IIRC, thus far, only the pre-Sept 2007 builds are experiencing this.

There is another thread on this forum for stalling 5.7L hemi build dates. Member in NY was collecting them for transfer to ??.
My build date is 8/07 its going back in tomorrow morning. I have filed a claim with Chrysler if anyone wants to do the same the number is 1 (800) 763-8422. My case managers extension is 66101 and her name is Wanda. I suggest everyone having this issue contact them to try to get a recall. I have also contacted a Lemon Law attorney and have been discussing this issue with him. I live in CT but bought my Jeep in Levittown, NY. Feel free to contact me as well anytime.
Connecticut guidelines:
Passenger motor vehicles, except motorcycles and living facilities of motor homes, bought, leased or registered in the state. 4 repair attempts or 30 business days out of service. Express warranty period of 1 year, whichever occurs first.
New York Guidelines:
Passenger vehicles purchased, leased, transferred or registered in New York, including motorcycles and excluding off-road vehicles. 4 repair attempts, 30 calendar days out of service, or for a substantial defect within 20 days of receipt of notice given by the consumer using certified mail. 2 years or 18,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
Unread 09-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #58
jayh231

Jeep stalling

I left out a part on the CT one regarding the safety hazard which stalling while driving is. Lemonlaw.com has some good info and is one of the attorneys I contacted. They state in some cases they can get your car replaced or have Jeep purchase the vehicle back. Its worth a try.

Passenger and commercial motor vehicles sold or leased within the state. Excludes agricultural tractors. 4 repair attempts or 30 calendar days out of service. 2 repair attempts if serious safety hazard. 2 years or 24,000 miles, whichever period occurs first.
Unread 09-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #59
jayh231

Jeep stalling

The dealer replaced the coils and spark plugs and now it happens more often.
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #60
jayh231

Found this and thought it might be helpful. Don't understand why it wasn't a national recall. The info about the Grand Cherokee is towards the bottom of the page.

Tags
2008 grand cherokee , grand cherokee , stall , stalling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.