2008 Grand Cherokee Stalling Issues - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2008 Grand Cherokee Stalling Issues

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #16
rwmazik
2008 WK 

All I can say is that once the new camshaft sensor was installed the stalling stopped. There was a service code that I was able to find, which did pin point us to the right direction. I would recommend looking for any codes stored on the vehicle.

It is quite possible that the folks who have replaced their crankshaft sensor had another issue that still resulted in the stalling.

Regarding the electrical issue, my jeep had a very strong battery, but had faulty electronic engine wiring harness, which wouldn't even allow my car to crank at all. Even though in about a day, it starts right up like there was never a problem. New engine wiring harness seems to do the trick.

rwmazik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2012, 05:32 AM   #17
Zip92
2008 WK 

**UPDATE** Well, that didnt take long. The day after changing the CAMSHAFT position sensor, SLAM! She stalled hard on me as I was accelerating through 50mph. I turned the key back to the off position, put it in neutral, and fire it back up. Maybe it is the CRANKSHAFT sensor that I'm supposed to change... There's another forum on here which talks about coil packs and plugs...

Last edited by Zip92; 09-29-2012 at 08:45 PM..
Zip92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #18
PathWJ99
1999 WJ 

You should have started with the crank position sensor. It's a very common problem.
PathWJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #19
Zip92
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathWJ99 View Post
You should have started with the crank position sensor. It's a very common problem.
I will do the crank sensor this coming week and see what happens. Thank you.
Unread 10-01-2012, 05:28 AM   #20
juicem2
2008 WK 

Yeah the crankshaft position solved my problem like I stated
juicem2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #21
Yagro
2008 WK 

Juicem2 - what engine do you have. My folks WK is having the stalling issue on their CRD.
Yagro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #22
Zip92
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagro View Post
Juicem2 - what engine do you have. My folks WK is having the stalling issue on their CRD.
5.7L Hemi's is what most, if not all of us on here have.
Unread 10-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #23
juicem2
2008 WK 

After 4 months of no issues, the stalling is back again. It stalled 4 times since last week and 2 of the times was on the highway. Also, last night I was doing 55 on the highway and floored it to go around someone. The truck fell flat on its face. It just totally went no where. I though it stalled because I didn't hear the engine or exhaust when that happened. I immediately let off the gas but the truck was still running it didn't totally stall. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Mike
Unread 10-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #24
juicem2
2008 WK 

Okay I was able to get a code buy turning the key on and off
3 times. It stored the code P0688. Does anyone know a fix for this?
Unread 10-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #25
Billybcpt
2005 WK 

The code according to www.wkjeeps.com is for ASD Relay sensor circuit-low. I'm assuming you just replace the ASD relay in the Power Distribution Center box, the one closet to the windshield in the engine bay but its just a guess. They're really cheap and you should be able to get it at any auto parts store.
Billybcpt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #26
juicem2
2008 WK 

Yeah I saw that was what the code was for. I am going to change that and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for the reply.
Unread 10-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #27
JeepCares

I found this information from our technical people: FYI - ignore if not interested

STAR Case Number: S1218000003
Release Date: 01-27-2012
Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
Customer may experience a die out, stall condition at any speed while driving or while at a stop. The engine usually restarts right away on a crank attempt. The symptoms may also be described as the engine appearing to lose power with a report that it restarts by itself. They may also be described as a missing, bucking or hesitation. Symptoms may also be accompanied by a MIL on with DTCs set. The actual DTCs may vary, however P0688 - ASD Relay Sense Circuit Low is usually set in PCM with possible power-up-at-speed or loss of communication DTCs set in various modules.
Diagnosis:
The only sure way to diagnose this condition is to capture the event with the data recorder. Graphs of some or all pcm data items during the event will usually indicate a loss of pcm "consciousness" or
communication represented in blank data for a given time on the graph. The picture below (Fig. 1) shows data missing on the table as dashed lines.

The duration of time that the data is missing or the actual data itself that drops out is not consistent and can happen on one or more data items, but not necessarily all. The actual graphs for the corresponding data items that drop out appear in the picture below (Fig. 2).

Note that the data drop out will occur just before the engine speed (RPM) drops off to 0 (representing the stall). Also note that the you may have to zoom in on the stall event to see the data “drop outs”.

Repair Procedure:
If the above conditions are present, inspect all spark plugs and coils for damage, signs of arcing or other abnormalities. If nothing is noticeable, replace all spark plugs and retest for the condition . If the condition is still present, start by replacing one coil. If the condition is still present, continue moving that new coil around to the other cylinders to substitute for the other coils in a process of elimination until the condition is no longer present. Replace the last coil that was substituted for just prior to the elimination of the condition.

NOTE: BE SURE REPLACEMENT SPARK PLUGS ARE O.E.M. THERE HAVE BEEN INSTANCES WHERE AFTERMARKET PLUGS ARE MARKEDLY DIFFERENT THAN OEM SPARK PLUGS. PARTS AND ARE PROPER FOR YOUR APLICATION. CARE SHOULD BE TAKEN DURING SPARK PLUG INSTALLATION TO REDUCE THE CHANCE OF DAMAGE TO ANY PLUG INSTALLED AND TO KEEP NEW PLUG INSULATORS CLEAN.

Parts Required:
O.E.M. spark plugs as required. Coil(s) as required.
figure-1.png   figure-2.png  
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #28
juicem2
2008 WK 

Wow that summary really hit the nail on the head for the conditions I am experiencing. I was planning on replacing the plugs before the winter. The last time I replaced them I used the oem champion 570 plugs. One side note: if you are looking at the engine compartment the second cylinder in on the left had black spark plugs like the coil wasn't working properly and I changed that coil. However, It didn't change anything as far as the stalling goes.I am going to pick up another coil as well and try switching them if and when each time this happens. I absolutely love the Grand Cherokee and really need to have it running right. Thank You for the information.
Unread 11-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #29
just501
2008 WK 

I've also experienced same stall with my 08 hemi. Must return key to off prior to restart. Only code has been for ASD. Have been keeping log of stalls - 20 stalls since 6/5/12 @ 97k miles. Most have been coasting to stop or at stop light, however recently it has been stalling at highway speeds. Completely random, since logging stalls, the periods have been as long as 1 month and 1700 miles or as short as 3 miles in 3 minutes - stalled 5 times that day.

The longest period I can remember going with out a stall was right after I replaced plugs (OEM) 1/2/12 @ 85k; that time was about 3 months and 2k miles. Have not changed Crank Sensor, will try that for now. Saddly I've gotten use to this condition, but fear the day it stalls turning into traffic - very careful not to have close calls with this.
just501 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #30
juicem2
2008 WK 

I saw you had some posts on one of the other threads on the staling issue. I just got done reading all 49 pages of that it took hours. I have another code it is P0884. I got it last week. I was cruising along at about 65 when the Jeep fell flat on its face. I thought it stalled but it must have recovered and didn't stall. I have also gotten the P0688 for the asd relay circuit. I am going to change all my plugs very soon and may try rerouting or raising the coil harnesses like Charles did. As far as the plugs go not sure which route to take. I'm trying to figure out if the aftermarket champion 570's are the same as the mopar plugs. The only thing different on the plugs is that the aftermarket plug says RE14MCC4 and the Mopar (champion plug) has a Sp in front SPRE14MCC4. If there is no difference I can get the aftermarket plugs for $1.99 at autozone. But, if there is a difference I would rather spend over double for the other plug. This is so frustrating. A lot of people seem to be having this problem but,there doesn't seem to be a clear cut answer to the problem. I am going to try jeep cares solution when I figure out which plugs I am going with. I guess I should just get the Mopar pluigs to be sure.

Tags
2008 grand cherokee , grand cherokee , stall , stalling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.