2008 Grand Cherokee Stalling Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2008 Grand Cherokee Stalling Issues

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
rwmazik
2008 WK 

2008 Grand Cherokee Stalling Issues

My Jeep has stalled intermittently about 5-6 times over the last 4 months. It is currently at the dealership for the third time for this issue. They are still unable to recreate the problem or experience it first-hand. Additionally, no codes have been triggered, which is making it quite difficult pinpointing the problem. Today, they are replacing the throttle body (explained as a shot in the dark) and are looking into installing a co-pilot AKA "black box" to record the next incident. The NHTSA recalled about 1,300 '08 Grand Cherokees and Commanders a few years back for stalling problems due to a front control module problem. But of course, mine was not included. The service manager explained to me that this incident was not relevant to the recall, but it still doesn't sit right with me.

All incidents have occurred typically within minutes and miles from my home. However, the vehicle has stalled even after the engine has warmed up. The roads are slightly winding with an occasional stop-light. The last incident, which occurred two days ago, happened as I was braking for a stop light. Fortunately, this incident has not happened on a major highway, but nevertheless, it is still very dangerous. For each incident, I put the car in neutral and restart while moving.

Also, very rarely, the electronics (radio, seat adjustment, window buttons, etc.) will work, once I turn on the car. The engine is working but nothing else. An engine restart, while in park solves the problem.

Any suggestions as to what may be causing the stalling or tests that are more involved than plugging in a diagnostic reader, would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE:
It turns out that there were two issues with my Jeep, although they might have been related or separate, (we'll never know!). The first issue was a bad camshaft sensor. It ended up finally giving a code, when they checked it again. However, we didn't figure this out for another year or so since my post. Prior to replacement, it would still stall intermittently. Might be a part to check out. The second issue would cause my Jeep to not start at all at times, which would usually last around 24 hours. To explain, I would drive my car around town, park it, and come back in a couple minutes, only to find that it won't turn over, while the battery is completely fine. If I came back to it around 24 hours later, it would start up just fine. Because I had it towed to the dealership when it wasn't working at all, they were able to finally replicate the issue, which turned out to be a bad Engine Wiring Harness. My Jeep was the first case with this problem in my area, and since then, the dealership has experienced an upswing with the same problem. I think these things break right around the 3 or 4 year mark, right after the warranty. I'm not sure if both problems created the stalling issue, or if it was just the camshaft sensor. I am confident that the issue has been resolved, it's been over 8 months with no problems.

Last edited by rwmazik; 06-05-2012 at 12:26 PM..
rwmazik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
juicem2
2008 WK 

same problem?

Ron, I have a 2008 Grand Cherokee limited with the 5.7 hemi. I seen to be experiencing the same occasional stalling problem with no check engine or codes. Did you find out what was causing the problem? Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Mike
juicem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
TangoTango
2008 WK 

I would read and see if it applies to your Jeep...

http://www.wkjeeps.com/recalls/recall_h03.pdf
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
juicem2
2008 WK 

Tango, I did hear about the recall and asked the dealer to see if my Jeep was part of the recall. They said that my Jeep wasn't part of it. But now I will know for sure . I am going to check the code on the fcm. Thank you for that useful information. They dealer checked it out and wanted to replaxe the coil harness at a cost of almost
$400 and couldn't guarantee that it would solve the problem. Thank you again
Unread 06-05-2012, 06:05 AM   #5
rwmazik
2008 WK 

Update on my Jeep WK

It turns out that there were two issues with my Jeep, although they might have been related or separate, (we'll never know!). The first issue was a bad camshaft sensor. It ended up finally giving a code, when they checked it again. However, we didn't figure this out for another year or so since my post. Prior to replacement, it would still stall intermittently. Might be a part to check out. The second issue would cause my Jeep to not start at all at times, which would usually last around 24 hours. To explain, I would drive my car around town, park it, and come back in a couple minutes, only to find that it won't turn over, while the battery is completely fine. If I came back to it around 24 hours later, it would start up just fine. Because I had it towed to the dealership when it wasn't working at all, they were able to finally replicate the issue, which turned out to be a bad Engine Wiring Harness. My Jeep was the first case with this problem in my area, and since then, the dealership has experienced an upswing with the same problem. I think these things break right around the 3 or 4 year mark, right after the warranty. I'm not sure if both problems created the stalling issue, or if it was just the camshaft sensor. I am confident that the issue has been resolved, it's been over 8 months with no problems. Good luck!
Unread 06-06-2012, 01:39 AM   #6
juicem2
2008 WK 

Tango, that was pretty easy to find. Atleast I can eliminate that as a possible problem.It's not the fcm I checked the date code on the back of the fcm. Ron thanks for the reply. I will have to look into the camshaft sensor. The Jeep only seems to stall when I am slowing dolwn about to come to a stop. It never happened on the hwy. Did you experience the same thing?
Unread 06-07-2012, 05:41 AM   #7
rwmazik
2008 WK 

Yes, same exact thing. Never on highway, only when slowing down, fortunately.
Unread 06-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
juicem2
2008 WK 

Yes definitely fortunate. Ok thanks. I am going to look into changing that sensor.
Unread 06-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
meep
2008 WK 

I'm going to keep an eye on this, glad I saw this. I'm having the *exact* same symptoms, it's getting worse, and I'm nearly at the point of trading this thing in. It's also started giving a strong fuel smell inconsistently- never seems to act up when I have the hood open. My wife doesn't want to ride in it any more. I'm at the 4+ yr mark, 48k miles.
meep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #10
meep
2008 WK 

I have reseated connectors around the engine and have seen an immediate increase in mpg. also noted that the cam sensor on the 3.7 has oil weeping all over it, running down into the electrical connector. I could see this causing a problem.

Have ordered both cam and crank sensors... will clean connectors and add dielectric grease during install.
meep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #11
PathWJ99
1999 WJ 

I had the same exact problem with my jeep. I changed the crank position sensor yesterday and so far so good!
PathWJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #12
Zip92
2008 WK 

I have a 2008 Overland and have been having the same issue, if not, a very similar.
My Jeep started stalling/shutting off in late 2011. It started to happen while the vehicle was at a stop light, idling, or coasting. More recently, it has happened while driving on highways and interstates at 60mph. When this happens, it scares the heck out of you because there is a big jolt which comes with a bit of a sound as the engine bascially stops dead.
Another detail about my issue is restarting once it has stalled. If you put it in neutral and turn the key to start it, it stall immedialtely within 2 seconds. It doesnt matter how many times you do this.
The only way to get it to start and stay running is to turn the key all the way off, and then start it. Of course this is lots of fun when youre coasting at 50mph with cars zooming by you give you funny looks.

Im going to look into the H03 recall and see if its applicable to me. I havent brought it to a dealer yet. My alternative mechanics spent two days on it and thought it might be a map-sensor, so we have the software flashed for this. But the problem returned.
Zip92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 04:07 AM   #13
juicem2
2008 WK 

Your issues were the same exact as mine to a tee. Including taking the key out and mine also started stalling on the hwy at 60 mph. I changed my crankshaft sensor about 3 months ago and it hasn't stalled since! So, I am assuming this was the problem. I ordered it from Amazon. It was like 14 bucks. I am so relieved that it is not stalling any more. The only problem I have now is I get a creaking sound from both the left and right rear of the truck. It is when pulling into a parking lot or something like that. Depending on what side pulls in first. It's like when you pull in and it is uneven. It doesn't do it on the road over regular bumps. I took the sway bar bushings off and greased them with lithium grease but it didn't help. You have any ideas? Anyway, hopefully the crankshaft sensor works for you.
Unread 09-21-2012, 05:25 AM   #14
Zip92
2008 WK 

Thank you Juice. Worth a shot for the price of it. It stalled again on the freeway last night while cruising. Very random.
Cheers.
Unread 09-28-2012, 06:16 AM   #15
Zip92
2008 WK 

In addition to my stalling on the hwy problem, now my '08 GC 5.7 Hemi wont start on occassion. Sometimes it will hardly start and it sounds like a low/bad battery. But most of the times, it cranks over without any sign of a problem.
When it doesnt start, it will just click, and click. When you hold the key in the start position, it continually clicks and sounds like Im going to fry something.
If I let it sit for a few minutes, 5 or more, then it fires up no problem.
Is this related to the camshaft sesnor too? Is it possible to have a intermittent battery problems?
Im curious if rwmazik's problems were both related to camshaft sensor. My issues sound identical those of his.

**UPDATE**
Intermittent starting issues were caused by a bad battery. Sometimes the battery was only putting out 330amp when it should be 750. New AC Delco battery was $250. Not cheap!
I also replaced the camshaft sensor. Im looking forward to see if it stalls again. I will update with results.

Only thing im realizing is that some people say crankshaft sensor and others, camshaft sensor. Two different parts. The first one being on the transmission (bell housing), the other (camshaft sensor), on the block (near the top somewhat)... If Im not mistaken.

Last edited by Zip92; 09-28-2012 at 02:24 PM..

Tags
2008 grand cherokee , grand cherokee , stall , stalling

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.