2008 Grand Cherokee sstarting problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2008 Grand Cherokee sstarting problem

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #1
srf_racer
2008 WK 

2008 Grand Cherokee sstarting problem

I've been having a starting problem with my 2008 CRD. Everything works but the starter. Here is a thread I lifted from the other forum:
Here is some information I found on the internet: There is a TSB out there for this issue (TSB #08-007-08 REV A). No Engine Crank or Engine start due to lockup of the WCM/SKREEM. "This condition may be due to an electrostatic discharge (ESD) from the ignition key into the WCM, casuing the WCM to electronically lockup; May occur more frequently in dry/cold conditions"
The dealer (and Chrysler after a call to them directly) tells me today that there is a restriction on the part! I have been towed twice because it wouldn't start. Can't jump it either. First time the local repair shop said the battery had a short and it was 5 1/2 years old anyway. Replaced it. Everything worked fine for a week. Died again when we went to VT. Another tow and it started up at the repair shop the next morning. This is my fourth Jeep, after three Cherokees with stick. This is the best and the very worst Jeep Many electrical problems before this. Anyone else in my sinking boat? Any solutions?

srf_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
jediknight
2008 WK 

CRD Immobilizer

Funny I was about to write a thread on this issue when I just found out this one dated from today.

So now I suspect I do have an immo problem, but I'm not sure what would be the symptoms like.

I can unlock doors, I can lock doors, I can NOT remote start, I can NOT retreive a fault code through OBD (wont allow me to stay in ignition for more then 1 sec or so), the CD changer goes crazy and when I turn to start just everything closes out ... no crankin no nothing ... could this be an immo issue! Today it was cold, but the car did fine on colder days... I also have a fix 4WD system message on the dash at the inginition position.

Anybody has an idea on this issue ?
Unread 01-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #3
modernblueWK

If you have a gas engine you might try to pull fuse #37 under the hood. That can reset the win module aka wcm. It sends power to everything and has been known to screw things up.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
jediknight
2008 WK 

Ok so update !
I think I got it solved for now.
Like i said today was a cold day and I had a battery drainage because of my digital gauge that is always plugged on my OBD port. Usually this gauge shut itself off automatically when ignition is off, but for some reason it didn't turn itself off and was still blinking when I got into the vehicle (maybe wasn't well conected) ... So the Immo was all messed up and even if I jump-start the car with another car, the starter wasn't responding. So I had to reset immo by unplugging the battery and waited approx 10 min. Then I replugged the battery and jump-start again and she started. I've also heard that maybe the battery inside the key fob could cause those type of issues.

Lesson learned to all of us that has electronic gizmo plugged on the OBD port make sure you unplugged them during cold weather season or you'll have bad surprises.
This vehicle when it doesn't get it's required 12.5 V it surely behaves weirdly...
Unread 01-08-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
srf_racer
2008 WK 

The Jeep dealer told me today that they cannot get the WCM because Chrysler says if it isn't broken, they won't sell them the new part! The absurdity is beyond belief. The dealer and Chrysler said yesterday that there might be a problem getting the part. I thought there might be a shortage because of the TSB on it. HAH! Almost thirty years as a loyal Jeep fan is fading into hatred for Jeep!
Unread 01-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #6
jediknight
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srf_racer
The Jeep dealer told me today that they cannot get the WCM because Chrysler says if it isn't broken, they won't sell them the new part! The absurdity is beyond belief. The dealer and Chrysler said yesterday that there might be a problem getting the part. I thought there might be a shortage because of the TSB on it. HAH! Almost thirty years as a loyal Jeep fan is fading into hatred for Jeep!
Not sure if I understand...
They dont want to sell you the part because of the shortage or because they want to have the vehicle in order to install it themselves ?

...humm regardless if you install it yourself or not I think you will need the dealer obd tool (starscan) to pair the wcm with the ecm.
Unread 01-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
srf_racer
2008 WK 

The dealer cannot get the part from Chrysler because the part supposedly still works. The dealer has the Jeep now to install it, but Chrysler won't send it! It works intermittently so according to them it still works. Has anyone ever heard of this idiocy?
Unread 01-08-2014, 06:35 PM   #8
jediknight
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srf_racer
The dealer cannot get the part from Chrysler because the part supposedly still works. The dealer has the Jeep now to install it, but Chrysler won't send it! It works intermittently so according to them it still works. Has anyone ever heard of this idiocy?
I hear you.
Well good thing is that they can't charge you for the part until they are sure on whats the issue. Here we have horror story where they change good condition parts on a vehicle but still charge them to the clients until they find the right defective part... I know its sad but true
Unread 01-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #9
srf_racer
2008 WK 

Latest report: Picked up my unrepaired Jeep this morning, stopped at a Staples on the way home. It would not start! Hours later, it was towed back to the dealer after the service rep finally came to pick me up and the tow truck arrived. Now they have the problem in front of them. We'll see what happens.
Unread 01-09-2014, 12:08 PM   #10
JeepCares

srf racer,
I'm not finding that this service bulletin applies to your vehicle. What part number are they looking for? You can PM me if you want to.

SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER: 08-007-08 REV. A
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: July 04, 2008

SUBJECT:
No Engine Crank Or No Engine Start Due To Electronic Lockup Of The WCM / SKREEM
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the replacement of the Wireless Control Module (WCM), and if
equipped, the replacement of the Electric Steering Column Lock (ELV). The WCM is also
referred to as the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM).
MODELS:
2007 - 2008 (DR/DH/D1/DC/DM) Ram Truck (1500/2500/3500/4500/5500)
2007 - 2008 (JK) Wrangler
2007 - 2008 (JS) Avenger/Sebring
2007 - 2008 (KA) Nitro
2008 (KK) Liberty/Cherokee
2007 - 2008 (MK) Compass/Patriot
2007 - 2008 (PM) Caliber
2006 - 2008 (PT) Chrysler PT Cruiser
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before May 05, 2008 (MDH 0505XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer will experience a no engine crank AND a no engine start condition. Also, the
remote keyless entry (RKE) system will not operate. This condition may be due to an
electrostatic discharge (ESD) from the ignition key into the Wireless Control Module
(WCM), causing the WCM to electronically lockup. This condition may occur more
frequently in dry and/or cold weather conditions where a sufficient electrostatic charge is
more easily produced. This condition is corrected by the replacement of the WCM.
DIAGNOSIS:
1. With the condition present (i.e. the vehicle in the no crank / no start condition), connect
the StarSCAN® scan tool to the vehicle.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position, and power up the StarSCAN®.
3. If the WCM is electronically locked up, the StarSCAN® will display the WCM as being
“off bus”.
4. If the no crank / no start condition is present, and the WCM is “off bus”, then reset the
WCM by temporarily removing the IOD fuse (with the key out of the ignition switch),
wait for 10 seconds and then reinstall the IOD fuse.
5. With the IOD fuse reset having been performed, verify that the vehicle will now crank,
start, and run.
6. If the condition is temporarily corrected by performing the above steps, and if the part
number of the WCM is earlier than the part number of the WCM listed in the part
reference table in the Service Bulletin Parts Required Section below, then perform the
Repair Procedure.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 04:13 PM   #11
srf_racer
2008 WK 

The dealer says the Jeep needs a starter motor! The catch 22? No starters are available! Doesn't know when he can get one. How much more stupid and intolerable can this get?
Unread 01-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #12
modernblueWK

This is my surprised face.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #13
srf_racer
2008 WK 

Latest update on my starter problem: There are no starters for diesels to be had anywhere in the US until late February. This from Jeep Customer Service, aftermarket sources and friends in low places. Writing here about my problem, calling Jeep, and dealing with the service manager got me a Jeep Patriot loaner until the problem is resolved (which could take six weeks or more) I suggested cross referencing the M-B starter to see if they have one. I also suggested rebuilding mine and send me on my way. We'll see what happens.
Unread 02-18-2014, 01:48 PM   #14
srf_racer
2008 WK 

Update on my starting problem saga: After only five weeks with the Patriot loaner, a starter arrived and was installed in my 08 diesel. So far, it starts every time. The WCM is available now, as well, should I need it. Anyone else with starting problems? Thank you Jeep Customer Service for bringing me back to the fold.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.