2008 Grand Cherokee Died suddenly - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2008 Grand Cherokee Died suddenly

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
JohnDeerCJ
2008 WK 

2008 Grand Cherokee Died suddenly

So, my 2008 WK just had its o2 sensor replaced by the dealer under warranty last week. Now today, I drove it to work (about 10 miles) parked it, and went in. When I came out to go to lunch, it wouldnt start. Gauges, lights, stereo, horn, fans, AC, heat, remote lock/unlock all worked. Turn the key... NOTHING. fuel pump sounded like it was trying, but still nothing. no clicking or any sound. Called roadside, they sent a tow to take it to the dealer. Tow truck driver gets the chains on it and get in to put it in neutral and says "just for the F of it, let me give it a try." and what happends? The F-ing thing starts. At this point im pissed, so i tell him to haul it to the dealer anyways. Dealer calls me later to tell me the tow driver started it right up when he got there and drove it off the tow bed. An hour later when the mechanic went to pull it into the garage, he got NOTHING!!! so... the dealer has NO idea whats wrong. There were no error codes or obvious signs of whats wrong. anyone here have a similar experience? What was the outcome? and why is my 84 CJ7 so much more reliable than my 2008 JGC?!?!?!

any thoughts? 3.7 V6, 35,xxx miles.

JohnDeerCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

Sounds like something is wrong with the gearshift selector switch or something related. I'm thinking the Jeep doesn't "know" it's in Park, so it refuses to start. But it does "know" when its in Neutral so then it goes ahead and starts.
Unread 07-07-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
CRD Dawg
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlon_jbt View Post
Sounds like something is wrong with the gearshift selector switch or something related. I'm thinking the Jeep doesn't "know" it's in Park, so it refuses to start. But it does "know" when its in Neutral so then it goes ahead and starts.
I was gonna say the same thing. I've had that problem on 2 separate cars. Both 90's era Benzes.
Unread 07-07-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
Acidcold
2005 WK 

It could possibly be the fob key, there has been problems with those things.
Acidcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 07:45 AM   #5
scottydog
2006 WK 

There is a kill switch in the shifter that prevents the car from starting unless it's in park or neutral, "the audi switch" from the old days of audis starting in gear and taking off.

My 98 had the switch go bad. I'm surprised your dealer didn't know this.
scottydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
JohnDeerCJ
2008 WK 

thanks all for the help. dealer ended up putting a brand new starter in, which as for now, has solved the problem. He said it looked like h2o had gotten inside and blah blah blah. covered under warranty, so that was good. a little annoying that the starter went and its only a 2008...

thanks again
JohnDeerCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #7
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

H2O?

Surprised they didn't try to claim "YOU TOOK IT OFFROAD!" WARRANTY VOID!

And good thing you were still under 3/36. But wait wouldn't the starter be a Lifetime Powertrain item? (If you bought it new)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.