Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2008 Grand Cherokee CRD 4x2

835 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  luckyse7ens 
#1 ·
I have the opportunity to purchase one of these for 10K, but it has 150K miles on it. I know it's a diesel, so the engine should be good to go if maintenance was kept up on it. What other things should I look out for that aren't obvious?

Lastly, do any of you have 150K miles or 240K km on your CRD? How is it holding up?

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dale

#2 ·
I have almost 186,000 miles on mine. Runs great and I can still get 26 MPG highway with it. The one you are looking at, being 2WD has higher gearing in it, so you could get 30 MPG or more on the highway with a tune.
The turbo inlet seal can leak onto the swirl motor causing it to fail and putting the engine into limp mode. That can be eliminated with a resistor or a tune. That's about the most problematic issue on the CRD.
Other than basic vehicle items to look for, just make sure everything on it works! Good luck!

#5 ·
Higher gearing on the 2wd ?

Mine is a 2wd and has 143k on it, still going strong, just needs a turbo actuator.

Basically the same as the 4wd but no transfer case or front diff to worry about.

My dads 4wd has 145 on it, it did lose a turbo a while back and had the oil cooler leak.

#11 ·
3.73's with the NAG1 trans in the CRD is too much gear. I did a comparison between gear ratios with the 545rfe and the NAG1 awhile back in a thread where someone was talking about doing a swap.

IIRC its more in line with 4.11's-4.5x's and the 545rfe. (due to the differences between the ratios in the NAG1 vs 545rfe)

3.07's would be perfect for the CRD.

On the upside this makes the CRD equipped WK the best option to run taller tires.

Found the thread in case anyone is curious:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/regearing-3142065/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.