2008 GC-Problem with Sirius Radio - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2008 GC-Problem with Sirius Radio

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 01-03-2011, 06:46 AM   #1
Steve08GC
2008 WK 

2008 GC-Problem with Sirius Radio

Hey everyone! I was hoping someone has had a similar issue to mine regarding Sirius radio, and if so, perhaps somebody could offer a solution.

General Info. and Problem:
I have a '08 GC Laredo with a Boston Acoustics system. The headunit has a 6-disc changer and is satellite radio ready. I purchased the Jeep used in Sept. 2009 and immediately activated the Sirius radio subscription. Everything was working fine, until a few months ago when my subscription ended. I re-activated the subscription, but after a month or so, I had to cancel my credit card on file with Sirius due to an unrelated matter. About a month or so after canceling my card, my subscription to Sirius ended. I knew this would happen since I was paying month-to-month with Sirius. I kept putting off contacting Sirius to update my card info., but finally after roughly two months or so, I went online about a week ago and entered new card information as well as pay for a past due amount. After doing this I attempted to re-activate my radio under a new subscription (Strictly Music-quarterly plan). I entered all the information it asked for, with the exception of the VIN which it appeared wasn't required. When I went submit my order, I was taken back to the credit card screen and told there was a credit card failure, and to check that I had entered the correct info. I re-entered everything, went to submit my order, and again I was taken back to the card screen. Again, CC failure! The next day I called Sirius and told them I wanted to reactivate my radio. I talked to the person on other end for a few minutes and they were able to use the card I had tried using the evening before. They said they were going to send an activation signal and that I needed to tune my radio to channel 184. This is where it gets tricky! I pressed the SAT button on the radio and attempted to change the channel. No dice! I tried rotating the knob on the right to tune to a different channel, pressing Seek/Scan...nothing worked! All other functions of the radio work just fine. I cannot even hear sound when SAT is selected. I went back and forth the last couple of days trying to get new activation signals sent, and even trying to "reset" the radio by doing what the Sirius rep. suggested by turning off the radio, turning off the vehicle, and opening the driver side door for 30 seconds. Nothing is working!

I miss my satellite radio and want to get this fixed ASAP! Yesterday, I tried disconnecting the negative battery cable for about half an hour, but this did not work either. I am not sure if this has something to do with the card I used, or if it is something that has to do with the radio in the GC only. Why would Sirius not accept my credit card online, but did so on the phone? The card I am using is a credit/debit card issued by my bank and tied to my checking account. Could this be the problem? If so, why wouldn't the rep. I spoke to from Sirius not have said anything? I was able to pay for the outstanding balance using this card.

I'm sorry for the write-up, but I'm really hoping someone has had the same issue, and that they can tell me what to do.

Steve

Steve08GC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
roblaroc
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hi. I have the same issue in my 2008 Sahara. channel 184.. no audio... Sirius told me to take to the dealer and have them check the receiver.. may be defective.. I have an appt. next week. Did you fix yours?
roblaroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
345jeep
2008 WK 

After disconnecting the battery cable, the head unit should default to starting up in AM when you hit power. When you press SAT it should automatically go to 184. If this sequence doesn't happen, you radio isn't working properly and it is time for the dealership. They don't fix the radios, they just replace them with rebuilt or new ones from Germany.
345jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
Steve08GC
2008 WK 

I did! I was bummed over the thought of having to shell out x-amount of money to get the radio fixed. I was especially bothered that my local dealership was not familiar with the problem. About a month ago, I contacted Sirius again and explained my frustration regarding the matter. I told them that if the radio needed to be "updated" as the dealer initially told me, that any cost should be incurred by Sirius, or for that matter the dealership. If an update was required, I didn't think it fair for me to be charged. I could understand if I broke the radio or did something that otherwise compromised its integrity. I spent about an hour on the phone with numerous reps from Sirius. Finally, the last person I spoke to was able to send out a new signal. Within seconds, the display on the radio read "UPDATING CHANNELS". Soon after, I began hearing sound again, followed by the ability to change channels and adjust volume. Due to my frustration, the Sirius rep went ahead and gave me one free month of service.

Before going to the dealer, I'd suggest doing what I did to see if you have the same luck with your radio. Why incur a cost you might be able to avoid?

Good luck!
Steve
Steve08GC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
kjeep07
2007 WK 

I'm glad things worked out for you Steve. I know what you mean about Sirius radio, I can't live without it either. Here is a little trick my wife taught me.
1. Call the bank and tell them to send you a new card because yours is worn out, before your subscription is up.
2. Let the subscription run out next time (I do mine for a year, you'll see why)let them turn the radio off.
3. Wait about a month and they will send you a "special offer" to pay for 6 months and get 6 months free.
4. Pay for 6 months and get 6 months free. So I paid like $77 for a 1-year sub and my wife talked them into dropping the fee for shooting the signal to the radio.

Hope this helps everyone!
kjeep07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
JEEPpeep2008

I just bought an '08 Saraha and am having the same problem! Did you get it resolved?
JEEPpeep2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
modernblueWK

How much are you paying? I just got my sirius re-activated for $77 per year plus tax. Music chanels only. I have found that if you call their call center in canada directly thay take good care of you. The regular call center in the phillipines is terrible to work with and doesnt offer any deals.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

My last 3 vehicles had sirius. All 3 did NOT have audio on 184 before being activated. They tell you that you should, but I've never experienced that. Also, the first time they were sending the activate signal you may have not had signal from the satellite at the moment.
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #9
colinzj
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trax95008 View Post
All 3 did NOT have audio on 184 before being activated.
Yeah, I don't know why the heck they tell people that.

While it is true of Sirius-branded aftermarket receivers, I have yet to encounter a factory system that had any audio when inactive. They know what you're trying to activate; change the script and give people the right information.
Unread 04-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #10
JRLT
2010 WK 

I never wanted it and it wasn't already set up on my rig when I got it. After I bought it, I got letters telling me how to subscribe to it, think after I registered it on Jeep.com or something, then it progressed to sales calls where I basically told them I didn't want it so I got a letter in the mail for 3 free months service. Tried it, still didn't care for it, basic radio played better obscure stuff. They offered deals but I read if you tell them that at the end of your subscription that you're switching over to XM and not renewing; they'll do anything to keep you.

Love these:
Quote:
My car came with a 6 month trial of Sirius. Towards the end they offered 6 months for $5/mth, so I took it. Towards the end of that they sent the letter for the full subscription ($15/mth or whatever), so I called to cancel citing "price was too high", without a hesitation she offered me 4 months for $20, so I took it.
Quote:
Sign up, use a month or so, cancel it They WILL call you offering you to come back Say no until they offer you the free year
Source: http://lifehacker.com/5864343/the-be...for-cancelling
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
croth
2005 WK 

I have a funny thing happen with the Sirius on my '05, when it gets cold outside it quites.
croth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
oilverland
2008 WK 

When I bought my rig used (08 with MyGig) the prior owner's subscription was still in effect. I had Sirus cancel that and then they could not activiate my own subsciption. Took about 4 more calls, working my way up the support ladder, until there was a person who could activate it. I guess you have to keep trying. They were generally helpful, just not well trained at levels. It's unlikely your radio coincidentally broke, albeit not impossible.

You can update the MyGig software by yourself, but I wouldn't know if that was necessary to do an activation. See http://mofv.com/MyGIG/
Unread 05-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #13
BHZDMZ
2014 JK Wrangler 

Just spent 15 min on the phone with Sirus to "cancel". After having fun with the guy. They renewed us for half price on both radios.
USN Jeep Hull #143
Eagle Scout Jeepers

Present:
09' JK (mine)
10' KK (wife)
00' XJ (son)

Past:
06' LJ, 03'TJ, 95' YJ
07' KJ
97', 95', 90', 87' & 85' XJs
98' ZJ
BHZDMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #14
Asleep75

Solution?

I have the same problem. I can't really tell from the thread, but it seems some had it fixed by calling Sirius... others suggested it was a faulty radio?

My radio, cd player and aux input all work fine. My Sat radio is stuck on one channel (28) and won't change or do anything. After about 20 seconds the radio switches to FM. I pulled the fuse and otherwise messed with the buttons.

Has anyone successfully fixed this issue. I don't want to leave my car at a dealership (over an hour away) for this one issue.

Thanks
d
Asleep75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2014, 10:23 PM   #15
SilvRSpeedX3
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asleep75 View Post
I have the same problem. I can't really tell from the thread, but it seems some had it fixed by calling Sirius... others suggested it was a faulty radio?

My radio, cd player and aux input all work fine. My Sat radio is stuck on one channel (28) and won't change or do anything. After about 20 seconds the radio switches to FM. I pulled the fuse and otherwise messed with the buttons.

Has anyone successfully fixed this issue. I don't want to leave my car at a dealership (over an hour away) for this one issue.

Thanks
d
This is the exact same thing that started happening to my 08 JK today... Pulled all the necessary fuses and the disconnected the battery...still no go

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.