2008 CRD vs 5.7 - advantages? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2008 CRD vs 5.7 - advantages?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 12-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #46
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post
January 2006 bluetec GC CRD concept.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/news/0...rokee_concept/
"Bluetec" has actually morphed into a catch all for Mercedes that includes all "fuel efficient engines (gas and diesel) from the gas 2.0L turbo inline 4 cylinder all the way up to the 15.6L Detroit Diesel engine....

Keep in mind that the WK CRD was a 49 state vehicle which means it could not be sold new in CA and a handful of other states. The EPA allowed 49 state compliant light duty vehicles up until 2008.5...hence the death of the WK CRD. In 2009 vehicles that were 49 state compliant were kicked out of the "bin" system and manufacturers were gearing up for EPA10 which included the introduction of Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) and Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF). The WK CRD was in either bin 9 or 10 and those bins were killed at the beginning of 2009, along with Bin 11. Bin 1 = cleanest and Bin 9,10, 11 = dirtiest.

DaimlerChrysler would have need to do a slight redesign on the engine...EGR for instance to meet the 2009 and 50 state compliance and they probably did not think it was a good business decision so they killed the WK CRD.

The WK CRD was DOA. It was never going to be more than a stop gap and was probably a mistake in the long run. Daimler and Chrysler were parting ways and there was never any intention to have the WK CRD meet 2009 and EPA10 requirements (the inclusion of SCR and DEF) or be 50 state compliant.

The vehicle in the article above was a concept and was again DOA.

Daimler and Mercedes had already planned on the WK2 and as you know it shares the same platform as the Mercedes ML350. Only insiders inside Mercedes know how long that relationship will continue.

Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 09:01 AM   #47
lavern23
2005 LJ Wrangler 

We had a 5.7 wk and a CRD wk at the same time. We kept the CRD for a little over a year. I still have my 5.7. We have multiple 5 star dealers in my area and they all were not familiar with it. Nobody knew what they were looking at. With glow plugs glow plug modules and other stuff I traded it. Parts were not as easy and fast to get as the 5.7. Good luck with your decision.
lavern23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 07:19 AM   #48
KUJeeper82
1985 CJ7 

Plan on buying a set of factory service manuals and the diesel engine trainer an DIY.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-JEEP-GR...166750&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-07-JEEP...cf883a&vxp=mtr

While the HEMI is a great engine, I wouldn't buy an old one as the newer WK2's have really improved fuel economy over the WKs.
KUJeeper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #49
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

Regarding service, The Jeep dealers around here also service diesels in the RAM trucks and the dealer closest to me also sold sprinter vans when they were sold by dodge so they are very familiar with the M-B CRD.

I was happy with our 2008 CRD and recently traded it in for a 2014 ecodiesel. We tow a travel trailer a few times each year and average about 20,000 miles per year so the fuel economy is important to me.
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.