2008 CRD vs 5.7 - advantages? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2008 CRD vs 5.7 - advantages?

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #31
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

You may want to research. It wasn't due to the end of Chrysler Daimler relations, why? Chrysler still used the OM642 until 2010 when they installed VM CRD in the place of. Reliability, read the forum.

10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 12:31 AM   #32
Red_liner740

Errr what? In what platform are you talking about? GC?

You think its a frigging coincidence that its a Fiat Diesel in the new GC? Nope, its cuz FIAT owns Chrysler now.

You're right, i did ZERO reading before buying the Grand Cherokee specifically FOR the diesel thats in it, THATS how many horror stories i've heard about the OM642. Except that i didnt...

How many people here have experienced catastrophic failures with the CRD?
I'm gonna go with close to zero. OM642 issues are known. Swirl motor, Oil leaking onto swirl motor, Glow plug failures and occasional Turbo VNT actuators.

When you consider the horror stories that Ford, Chevy and Dodge heavy duty diesels are experiencing i'm gonna have to go with CRD being a much more reliable engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post
You may want to research. It wasn't due to the end of Chrysler Daimler relations, why? Chrysler still used the OM642 until 2010 when they installed VM CRD in the place of. Reliability, read the forum.
Red_liner740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #33
jaje
2007 WK 

Quote:
I "read the forum" and have a CRD FAQ that I keep up for other members so I'm very, very well aware of the issues someone can have with the CRD. As for the OM642 continued on until the end of the Dodge version of the Sprinter in the US as it was a commercial vehicle and not subject to the increased EPA emissions standards for light passenger vehicles that the CRD was. Chrysler also used it ROW for several more years in many other platforms until all connections with Daimler were ended.

So please show us some factual proof of how unreliable the CRD and VM Motori's are and not "read the forum". Then in this vein why don't you show us how reliable the Pentastar v6 really is (it's not like they were blowing lot's of headgaskets).
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #34
Hendrix9
2007 WK 

I love my CRD. It gets pretty damn good mileage and gobs of torque that make it great around town.

That being said, the transmission is a big pile of garbage. I had my ESM or TCM replaced(can't recall which, I think it was ESM) when I bought the car with 60,000 miles on it. Now I have 98,000 and have all the same symptoms as it did before. Even when it was working properly the shifts were slow and not to my liking at all. We'll see how things are once I finally get it fixed again.
I'd much rather have the transmission that comes with the 5.7 than this. It's not worth the trade off anymore to me. The best motor in the world paired to a crap transmission is still going to be a bad driving car.

Oils changes are quite expensive and replacing the 50$ fuel filter every 10k miles or so doesn't help with the maintenance costs. I think the 5.7 would actually work out cheaper in the long run.
Hendrix9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #35
Red_liner740

Why are you replacing the fuel filter every 10k??

Service interval for harsh use is 25k and 50k for normal use.
Unread 12-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #36
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaje
I "read the forum" and have a CRD FAQ that I keep up for other members so I'm very, very well aware of the issues someone can have with the CRD. As for the OM642 continued on until the end of the Dodge version of the Sprinter in the US as it was a commercial vehicle and not subject to the increased EPA emissions standards for light passenger vehicles that the CRD was. Chrysler also used it ROW for several more years in many other platforms until all connections with Daimler were ended. So please show us some factual proof of how unreliable the CRD and VM Motori's are and not "read the forum". Then in this vein why don't you show us how reliable the Pentastar v6 really is (it's not like they were blowing lot's of headgaskets).
You have a CRD FAQ... One may think that a CRD vs. 5.7l trend would be a good place to link it. Let people see how they can save thousands and do work arounds to jump and bypass mechanical systems that fail.

http://conflictedracer.wordpress.com...erokee-diesel/

Saying that the EPA was the reason that GC ceased production of the CRD model appears to be incorrect. The MB R-class 2007-present (passenger vehicle subject to EPA standards) continued to use the OM642 in the US until the 50 state legal OM642 was introduced in 2009. So why didn't the GC CRD continue? Chrysler continued to use the OM642 in the European 300 until 2010 when VM took over and started using the GM/VM 3.0l.

How reliable is the VM 3.0, time will tell. Its been said that the VM CRD was intended for a Cadillac but they (GM) passed on it before selling the remainder of the stocks to VM.

3.6l Pentastar seems to be pretty reliable, it's still around.
Unread 12-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #37
Hendrix9
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_liner740 View Post
Why are you replacing the fuel filter every 10k??

Service interval for harsh use is 25k and 50k for normal use.
I shouldn't have included that in my whining about high maintenance costs, you're right.
I just would rather replace them more frequently (as I read in someone else's CRD post a long time ago) than have to deal with potential injector issues.
Hendrix9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #38
Red_liner740

You disproved your own hypothesis.
If CRD was up to 2008 and 50 state legal OM642 was introduced in 2009 to meet the new standards, THAT exactly is the reason it stopped being produced. 2009 was the first year of the Bluetec.
2007 was the year that Chrysler was sold by MB to a Cerberus Capital Management, Hence why the Jeeps were not privy to the new bluetec technology and Chrysler was not willing to invest in it on its own. Chrysler continued to use the OM642 in Europe as it could remain in its current shape, no need to develop new emission equipment.

Quote:
You have a CRD FAQ... One may think that a CRD vs. 5.7l trend would be a good place to link it. Let people see how they can save thousands and do work arounds to jump and bypass mechanical systems that fail.

http://conflictedracer.wordpress.com...erokee-diesel/

Saying that the EPA was the reason that GC ceased production of the CRD model appears to be incorrect. The MB R-class 2007-present (passenger vehicle subject to EPA standards) continued to use the OM642 in the US until the 50 state legal OM642 was introduced in 2009. So why didn't the GC CRD continue? Chrysler continued to use the OM642 in the European 300 until 2010 when VM took over and started using the GM/VM 3.0l.

How reliable is the VM 3.0, time will tell. Its been said that the VM CRD was intended for a Cadillac but they (GM) passed on it before selling the remainder of the stocks to VM.

3.6l Pentastar seems to be pretty reliable, it's still around.
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #39
fishinbama
2007 WK 

2007 Dodge trucks did use Bluetec technology and had the logo on the truck. It wasn't necessary to use the full system(including adblue) to make the 07-08 jeeps legal in 49 states.
If you look at the construction of the VM engine, it looks to me like they reverse engineered the om642 but maybe tried to make some improvements.
fishinbama is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #40
jaje
2007 WK 

The WK CRD was up to 2008.5 actually as they sold it as long as they could before MY 2009. The OM642 is still in production and in many Mercedes Benz vehicles around the world.

Oh and got back from skiing this weekend. 4wd WK - 24.8 mpg on the way there doing 65 mph and 22.8 mpg on the way back doing 70 mph with a headwind.
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 06:38 AM   #41
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_liner740
Why are you replacing the fuel filter every 10k?? Service interval for harsh use is 25k and 50k for normal use.
I work for one of the major diesel engine manufacturers in North America.....I see first hand the crappy diesel/biodiesel that is being distributed around the country. Because of the issues I see I change my fuel filter once a year. I just bought a fuel filter online last night for $21....that is very cheap preventive maintenance in my eyes.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #42
fishinbama
2007 WK 

Where did you get it?

Also, maybe we should be looking into some way to have extra filtration?
fishinbama is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #43
Red_liner740

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
I work for one of the major diesel engine manufacturers in North America.....I see first hand the crappy diesel/biodiesel that is being distributed around the country. Because of the issues I see I change my fuel filter once a year. I just bought a fuel filter online last night for $21....that is very cheap preventive maintenance in my eyes.
Agreed. Its like oil changes, just cuz you did 10K in 2 years doesnt mean you dont change your oil.

Usually its XX miles and XX time.

Once a year is a safe number...
Unread 12-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #44
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinbama View Post
Where did you get it?

Also, maybe we should be looking into some way to have extra filtration?
http://www.diesel-filters.com/h278wk...el-filter.html
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 12:51 PM   #45
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_liner740
You disproved your own hypothesis. If CRD was up to 2008 and 50 state legal OM642 was introduced in 2009 to meet the new standards, THAT exactly is the reason it stopped being produced. 2009 was the first year of the Bluetec. 2007 was the year that Chrysler was sold by MB to a Cerberus Capital Management, Hence why the Jeeps were not privy to the new bluetec technology and Chrysler was not willing to invest in it on its own. Chrysler continued to use the OM642 in Europe as it could remain in its current shape, no need to develop new emission equipment.
January 2006 bluetec GC CRD concept.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/news/0...rokee_concept/

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.