2008 CRD vs 5.7 - advantages? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2008 CRD vs 5.7 - advantages?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #16
816jared
2005 WK 

longevity really a benefit? there are gasoline powered WK's w/ 350k miles on them...

Unread 12-21-2013, 01:29 AM   #17
Joeyicu
1998 ZJ 

People have this thought in there minds that modern diesels will last longer then modern gasoline motors, and I just don't believe it. A CRD and a hemi will both last about the same amount of time and mileage, the CRD is not going to offer any advantage in base engine longevity vs a hemi.

Someone would actually have to break down the maintenance costs of both the hemi and the CRD. I have been running the champion copper plugs in my hemi, witch means she requires 16 brand new spark plugs every 30k, at about 2 dollars a pop. I cant see that benz diesel costing a whole ton more then the hemi. Maybe a little pricey every oil change, maybe more frequent fuel filter changes, negligible in my mind. So the point I am trying to get at is, just buy witch ever one you like better, I think in the long run the cost of these two stays about the same.

p.s. I dont think driving style matters either, all around town, all highway, they both work out ok, I dont know how anyone could justify one motor as being better suited to either situation then the other.

all state above is IMO, I hope not to offended anyone.
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Limited - Wifey's stock haul rig - 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2 Limited - 3.5 "IRO, 31s, a full sound system, 2 row rad, E Fan, 5.9 Limited Grill, no muffler - 1990 Nissan 300zx NA 5spd - Stillen Catback, a full sound system, 18" Rota p45r's - 2003 Aprilia SL1000 Falco - Slip-On's, Arrow Chip, Airbox Mod - 1984 Ford F250 6.9 Diesel - 093 ATS Turbo Kit
Joeyicu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #18
LouC
2007 WK 

Just one of the repairs mentioned on here, for the Diesel is going to put it over what you'd spend on the Hemi. Its the nature of the beast, same thing if you wanted a Ram with the Cummins, they are commercial rated engines and they are built for heavier use than most gas motors. BUT with that, comes very expensive parts prices and more complex designs in general. If you like the Diesel you should have one but you have to keep that in mind just like if you owned any higher end German car. Cheap to fix they ain't.
Unread 12-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #19
Summitset
2007 WK 

http://www.dieselforum.org/files/dmf...ort_dd2017.pdf

A little article I found, might be worth reading.
Summitset is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #20
816jared
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summitset View Post
http://www.dieselforum.org/files/dmf...ort_dd2017.pdf

A little article I found, might be worth reading.
biggest problem I see with this report vs this discussion is that the vehicles used were new. I think it might be a little tough to track down a new WK crd at this point...
Unread 12-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #21
Red_liner740

Quote:
Originally Posted by 816jared View Post
what recession? not pay attention to the stock market at all? housing market?
I'm not going to get into a huge debate about this, other than to say that yes, i keep track of the economy a lot closer than most people, and no, the stock market nor the housing market are any indication of the ending of the recession.

Dig deeper and you will realize that most of the housing market rise is not from family first purchases but from refinancing and large corporation purchases.

Dont get me started on the stock market. Its acting exactly the same as it did in 2007, right before plunging to nearly half its worth.

If the Fed wasnt pumping 85 BILLION of dollars into the system EVERY MONTH, we'd be in a lot bigger pile than we are now.
Red_liner740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #22
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

I'm currently looking for a CRD GC as well. I'd like the ability to tow a lot, but still get good fuel mileage when not. The CRD seems to fit that perfectly.
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #23
Joeyicu
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
Just one of the repairs mentioned on here, for the Diesel is going to put it over what you'd spend on the Hemi. Its the nature of the beast, same thing if you wanted a Ram with the Cummins, they are commercial rated engines and they are built for heavier use than most gas motors. BUT with that, comes very expensive parts prices and more complex designs in general. If you like the Diesel you should have one but you have to keep that in mind just like if you owned any higher end German car. Cheap to fix they ain't.
Most of the cummins B series parts are probably parallel price wise with the hemi. The common rail motors can tend to get a little pricey, but those would be the only ones that would have some parts more expensive then the hemi.
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Limited - Wifey's stock haul rig - 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2 Limited - 3.5 "IRO, 31s, a full sound system, 2 row rad, E Fan, 5.9 Limited Grill, no muffler - 1990 Nissan 300zx NA 5spd - Stillen Catback, a full sound system, 18" Rota p45r's - 2003 Aprilia SL1000 Falco - Slip-On's, Arrow Chip, Airbox Mod - 1984 Ford F250 6.9 Diesel - 093 ATS Turbo Kit
Joeyicu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #24
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Towing, it's a mid size unibody SUV.

Call a jeep local dealer and ask if they have a mechanic to work on a MB 3.0 CRD. While your doing that ask about part availability.

CRD is a limited option on a few years. There is a reason. The 5.7l is tried and true, to the point of it has been and still is used in HD Rams.

If the cost of fuel is a issue then maybe you need to look at a different vehicle.

Hemi has the Chrysler Maxcare lifetime warranty available.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #25
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
It has the same tow rating as my full framed Escalade with a 6.0 gas engine. Not too shabby for an engine half the size!

Quote:
Call a jeep local dealer and ask if they have a mechanic to work on a MB 3.0 CRD. While your doing that ask about part availability.
I'd think of taking it to a MB dealership if it was something that I couldn't fix myself.

Quote:
CRD is a limited option on a few years. There is a reason.
Reason is they are more expensive and most Americans aren't fond of diesels and the reputation they used to have.
Unread 12-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #26
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddydaddy
It has the same tow rating as my full framed Escalade with a 6.0 gas engine. Not too shabby for an engine half the size! I'd think of taking it to a MB dealership if it was something that I couldn't fix myself. Reason is they are more expensive and most Americans aren't fond of diesels and the reputation they used to have.
See, some think that a smaller vehicle rated to tow the same or more than larger vehicle is better or a sign of strength. Frame on body (caddy)= trucks, unibody (jeep)= cars, minivans. Engine is only part of towing capacity, frame, suspension, brakes have key rolls in the equation. You may notice that the manufactures jointly developed a standard for calculating towing capacity, SAE J2807. Toyota has adopted it and others should soon follow. If it was all about the engine, the 5.7l hemi is in HD rams with 12-13k towing capacity (thats doesn't include the curb weight of the truck 7-8k) and it has been doing this for years!

One reason for limited availability is they couldn't be sold in all 50 states due to emissions.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #27
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post
Engine is only part of towing capacity, frame, suspension, brakes have key rolls in the equation. You may notice that the manufactures jointly developed a standard for calculating towing capacity, SAE J2807. Toyota has adopted it and others should soon follow. If it was all about the engine, the 5.7l hemi is in HD rams with 12-13k towing capacity (thats doesn't include the curb weight of the truck 7-8k) and it has been doing this for years!
Wouldn't the limits of the suspension, brakes, etc be factored in by the manufacturer when they post the towing limits?
I'm sure that's why even though my Escalade has the same engine as a Silverado or Sierra, cannot tow as much. The suspension on it is not built for it.
Unread 12-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #28
Radcrd
2007 WK 

Quote:

CRD is a limited option on a few years. There is a reason. The 5.7l is tried and true, to the point of it has been and still is used in HD Rams.

If the cost of fuel is a issue then maybe you need to look at a different vehicle.

Finding parts is not an issue for the CRD as this engine is used on the Sprinter vans and several MB products. Finding a Jeep dealer to work on it may be an issue but if you stick close to this forum and have some mechanical inclination you will be fine.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #29
Red_liner740

..what reason are you hinting at? It had nothing to do with reliability or longetivity but everything to do with politics, corporate ownership and EPA.

Only reason Jeep got a hold of the CRD was because of the Merc partnership/ownership. Only reason it wasnt continued past the two years was due to EPA ever moving goal line for diesels.

Mercedes decided it was worth keeping the horse in the race and developed the bluetec Adblue technology, while Jeep, just like with the Liberty, gave up the diesels. So the engine continues to live in other platforms just like your beloved 5.7.

The OM642 is in hundreds of thousands of fleet utility vehicles throughout the world from used and abused Sprinters to E320 Taxi cabs all over Europe, so lets not even try to hint at reliability issues.

Quote:

Red_liner740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #30
jaje
2007 WK 

Quote:
CRD was only limited to 2 years b/c of the EPA Tier II bin 5 requirements and it was the beginning of the end of the Daimler Benz relationship. If Jeep wanted to get rid of diesels for "other reasons" they would never had offered the EcoDiesel.
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.