2008 CRD vs 5.7 - advantages? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2008 CRD vs 5.7 - advantages?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Gschin

2008 CRD vs 5.7 - advantages?

Hi
I almost convinced myself to start seriously looking for an 08 with the CRD - seems like it would be a great match to what I need. Then I glanced over at the diesel pump as I was filling up with gas - I know diesel has been costly lately but wow, almost 25% more for diesel. Now I know that diesel used to be cheaper relatively speaking and that the diesel will get better MGP up to 30%?? and that it has more torque (though the hemi would have all that I would likely need - but more is better!) but they also cost a bit more to buy and a bit more to maintain - or a LOT more if something bad happens. But they will or at least should last a long long long time - long enough to see the rest of the jeep crumble around it - not sure if that is a real advantage or not. I don't want to open up the whole gas versus diesel thing but with regards to this specific vehicle with these specific engines is diesel the way to go? Guess I'm looking for a little reassurance before I hike my credit card limit so I can afford to fill up at the pump!
Thanks much

Gschin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Both the diesel and Hemi are great engines, it mostly comes down to what you plan to use it for. Will you be doing a lot of towing?
Unread 12-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
chevra
2008 WK 

I agree that they are both great engines if they are maintained of course. But it totally depends on what you are going to use it for, the diesel is great for towing but the hemi still gets the job done with a bit lower mpg. For me I do a lot of highway driving so the highway mpg mattered to me and therefore I went with the diesel, I do tow occasionally also. If you are going to use it for short trips around town/city then maybe the diesel isn't for you, I just don't think diesels are really made for that ha. Take both for a drive and make a decision, I never fully made my decision until I took the CRD for a drive, then I fell in love with it.
chevra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
LouC
2007 WK 

Will you be towing close to the 7200 lb limit? Do you drive a lot of miles each year? That will point more toward the diesel. Towing lighter weights and driving fewer miles the Hemi may be a better choice. Drive both and see which one you like.
I like a muscle car feel and low repair/maintenance costs so it's a Hemi for me. Next one will be an SRT8.
Unread 12-20-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
Gschin

Thanks I don't tow often but when I do it would be getting up around 6000-65000. Some days I do put lots of highway miles on some days though its just around town. I drove a crd a couple of days ago. Was nice, decent power, not a sports car by a long shot. The hemi even in my wife's durango has more power. But from what I hear a tune and getting rid of the exhaust filter gives the crd a bit more get up and go.

I think both would meet my needs - was mostly wondering though if I keep it until it falls apart around me, which is what I usually do, will one or the other leave me with significantly more $ in my pocket?

Thanks for all your help.
Unread 12-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #6
Red_liner740

I dont do much towing, nor did i get the CRD with towing in mind, but i would never, EVER get a V8 SUV.

I bought the GC CRD specifically cuz its a diesel. Gas prices can vary greatly, Diesel prices will always remain relatively stable as its the blood of the US economy. It will never skyrocket the way gas prices will.

In the end, we're enjoying lower gas prices now due to the recession. They will go back up.
Red_liner740 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
816jared
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_liner740 View Post
In the end, we're enjoying lower gas prices now due to the recession. They will go back up.
what recession? not pay attention to the stock market at all? housing market?
Unread 12-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
Gschin

Thanks - good point about the prices - its easy to forget that for the longest time diesel was cheaper than gas. Guess the only good thing about the recession is "cheap" gas - still spending $100 a tank on my wife's Durango doesn't feel very cheap.

- most of the oil stocks I own say RECESSION to me - too bad you can't burn Natural Gas in these things
Unread 12-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
816jared
2005 WK 

my math is pretty rough, looks like you're saving ~$.05/mile on fuel. (24mpg vs 14mpg)

the fuel savings quickly ate into by the increased cost of vehicle + increased cost of maintenance. with the CRD's you also get to go on a wild goose chase to find a mechanic that will/can work on them.

unless you plan on towing frequently, I'd stick with the HEMI.
Unread 12-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
Gschin

I asked my local mechanic about working on a crd and he said it wouldn't be a problem. He has worked on others and has no problems with getting parts. Fixes can get pricey but he says he likes them - because there good, not because they line his pockets - and was actually thinking of buying one that a lady had some repairs done to so she could sell it to get a new one. So unless I'm unlucky enough to break down far from home I'm not too concerned about the getting it fixed issue.
Unread 12-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #11
caulk04
2008 WK 

I'd have sprung for a diesel if there were ANY in my area. I don't think I've ever seen one in person...sure would have been nice though.

So, I went with the Hemi. If I could do it again, I'd stick it out for the 09-10 Hemi though. More power, flatter torque curve and should do a little better on mpg. I get 15 this time of year, summer I can do 17 normally. 18+ highway only.
Unread 12-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #12
Gschin

Thanks - didn't know that there was a difference in the hemis year to year. Trannys the same though isn't it? I've seen a few diesels for sale not to far from me. Might take a bit of waiting to get one I want but right now I'm in no rush. If one doesn't come by I'll have a look at these years for a hemi
Unread 12-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #13
LouC
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gschin View Post
I think both would meet my needs - was mostly wondering though if I keep it until it falls apart around me, which is what I usually do, will one or the other leave me with significantly more $ in my pocket?

Thanks for all your help.
The Hemi is going to cost less to maintain and much less to repair. They've been on the market since about 2003/04, 10 years worth and they are not thought to be troublesome.
Unread 12-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #14
spennerus

I love the hemi, but I haven't driven the CRD. Cost wise it's hard to say because its based on previous maintenance, preventative maintenance you do, and a little luck. For me it would come down to driving both (if you can find a decent CRD). Also, since mine is really my wifes, didn't want to worry about her putting the wrong fuel in it, and not every station carries diesel. For me the hemi is more convenient, and more peace of mind then the diesel.
spennerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #15
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

I would say drive both. Take a good long test drive of each and see which one knocks your socks off. I have been a diesel guy since college and I don't think I could buy a gas vehicle again. I really don't think the maintenance would really be much different. To me the benefits of better mileage, more towing power, easy to get more power, and longevity is what sells me.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.