2008 CRD Leaking Oil - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2008 CRD Leaking Oil

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Reply
Unread 09-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
Kolt-46
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North-Central, Ohio
Posts: 20
2008 CRD Leaking Oil, Three Sources

My CRD has about 118k on it and has just presented me with the first set of problems ever. My wife noticed small amounts of oil on the driveway so I removed the skid plate and when I looked under the vehicle I found some oil drip paths around the transmission and down the oil pan (appear to be from turbo intake tube seal), and on my alternator. So far I have found three sources of oil leaks.

1. Oil Filler Cap
-Replaced seal, all is good.

2. Turbo Intake
-I have the orange seal and need the part number for the black seal if anybody has it handy.

3. Base of Dipstick Tube
-Has anybody else experienced this? Seems like it should be an easy fix just looking for some advice if anybody has ever dealt with this on their CRD.

I was wondering if the blow-through on the oil cap is due to increased pressure from a faulty CCV. I have no evidence of this (check lights) but I've never seen oil blow through a filler cap. The new seal appears to have resolved this. The CCV is $30 at Advance; should I just replace it?

Any advice is much appreciated.


Last edited by Kolt-46; 09-02-2013 at 11:26 AM..
Kolt-46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
westnewton
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 11
I had only 70k on mine with similar issue.


I replaced the oil This can also be backwards. Make sure the pic or writing is facing you as you "read" while standing in front of the truck.

I routed the ccv to the bottom of my air box.

I also replaced the air inlet pipe with the "black" version. 53013672AE is the mopar number for the black seal version.
.
__________________
07 WK CRD. GDE-Eco. DPF "Flow Improvement" MIA Resonator. CCV routed to airbox pre-filter. Black turbo inlet tube.
westnewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
scootr29
Web Wheeler
 
scootr29's Avatar
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SC
Posts: 2,638
On the alternator may indicate oil being dripped during an oil change....did you change the oil or did the dealer?

Black seal air intake....
http://www.factorymoparparts.com/53013672ae.html
__________________
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
Kolt-46
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North-Central, Ohio
Posts: 20
Thank you for the responses!

The cap is properly oriented but the dealership is doing my oil changes (I bought a plan that covers it since it was so much cheaper than the oil alone!). It looks like they just try to squirt oil in the filler hole from across the dealership.

@westnewton
Did you have a similar issue with the grommet at the bottom of the dipstick tube?

Also, I'm going to Summit tomorrow to buy an oil catch can and install it in-line with the vent tube from the CCV.
Kolt-46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
Drewd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 225
Side note: Do you really think the dealership is doing your oil change correctly? Do you think a flat rate mechanic has the time to actually pour 1/2 the oil via your oil filter assembly per TSB and then wait a while before starting engine? I suggest you start saving your money for major engine work if you continue relying on a dealership to service your engine oil. BTW, are you 100% sure they are using MB 229.51 oil?
Drewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
Kolt-46
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North-Central, Ohio
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewd View Post
Side note: Do you really think the dealership is doing your oil change correctly? Do you think a flat rate mechanic has the time to actually pour 1/2 the oil via your oil filter assembly per TSB and then wait a while before starting engine? I suggest you start saving your money for major engine work if you continue relying on a dealership to service your engine oil. BTW, are you 100% sure they are using MB 229.51 oil?
I know that they're using the right oil but I don't know about the procedure. I honestly didn't know that there was anything special about the oil changes. Could you send me a link to the procedure? I've actually lost all faith in the dealership out here due to their lack of attention to detail.
Kolt-46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
scootr29
Web Wheeler
 
scootr29's Avatar
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SC
Posts: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolt-46 View Post
I know that they're using the right oil but I don't know about the procedure. I honestly didn't know that there was anything special about the oil changes. Could you send me a link to the procedure? I've actually lost all faith in the dealership out here due to their lack of attention to detail.
I do the 1/2 in oil filter housing and 1/2 in oil fill also....I have heard from various sources (major fleets that run Sprinter vans that they do not do this procedure).

It is vital either way to not spill oil on the alternator.....
__________________
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 05:46 AM   #8
Kolt-46
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North-Central, Ohio
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
It is vital either way to not spill oil on the alternator.....
That's a fact! I'm going to hit it with some engine degreaser and try to clean it up.
Kolt-46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #9
jamie1131
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 93
Has anyone ever actually seen a jeep or more importantly a mercedes instruction for the oil change procedure?
I cant find it (maybe I'm not looking in the right place) anywhere except in forums.
There must be hundreds of thousands of these engines and I cant believe the majority of them that are not serviced by enthusiasts are falling apart due to bearing failures?
jamie1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #10
westnewton
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolt-46 View Post
Thank you for the responses!
...
@westnewton
Did you have a similar issue with the grommet at the bottom of the dipstick tube?
.
What I did stopped my oil leaking (Probably a combo of bad oil fill cap and CCV pressure) so I did not look at or do anything with the dipstick tube.
__________________
07 WK CRD. GDE-Eco. DPF "Flow Improvement" MIA Resonator. CCV routed to airbox pre-filter. Black turbo inlet tube.
westnewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #11
westnewton
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1131 View Post
Has anyone ever actually seen a jeep or more importantly a mercedes instruction for the oil change procedure?
I cant find it (maybe I'm not looking in the right place) anywhere except in forums.
There must be hundreds of thousands of these engines and I cant believe the majority of them that are not serviced by enthusiasts are falling apart due to bearing failures?
I have not seen the official service doc for the oil change, but have seen many write-ups explaining why we need to fill half through the oil filter housing.

Also, anyone planning on doing their own oil changes should get a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve (F-111). it allows you to connect a 1/8 hose and "route" the oil into a container. This works better than trying to coral/control 10 Liters of oil racing out of the drain plug hole.
__________________
07 WK CRD. GDE-Eco. DPF "Flow Improvement" MIA Resonator. CCV routed to airbox pre-filter. Black turbo inlet tube.
westnewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
Zlartibartfast
Member
 
Zlartibartfast's Avatar
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Menchaca, Texas
Posts: 417
YES to the Fumoto valve but I think the model for the CRD is the F106 (I bought an F106N that I plan to install in a couple of weeks)

http://www.fumotousa.com/

Jeep: V8 4.7L('99 & 0n), V6 3.7L & 3.8L, 2.0L, 2.4L('07 & on), 3.0L Diesel('07 & 0n),3.6L, V8-5.7L & 6.1L('06 & on) engines F-106
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #13
westnewton
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlartibartfast View Post
YES to the Fumoto valve but I think the model for the CRD is the F106 (I bought an F106N that I plan to install in a couple of weeks)

http://www.fumotousa.com/

Jeep: V8 4.7L('99 & 0n), V6 3.7L & 3.8L, 2.0L, 2.4L('07 & on), 3.0L Diesel('07 & 0n),3.6L, V8-5.7L & 6.1L('06 & on) engines F-106
Correct on the F-106N. The other one I stated is for my motorcycle...
__________________
07 WK CRD. GDE-Eco. DPF "Flow Improvement" MIA Resonator. CCV routed to airbox pre-filter. Black turbo inlet tube.
westnewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #14
Kolt-46
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North-Central, Ohio
Posts: 20
Quarts upon quarts of oil just blew out the dipstick tube all over my engine compartment. I'm guessing that my CCV just went bad...real bad. Any other speculation on probable cause?
Kolt-46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 03:12 AM   #15
westnewton
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolt-46 View Post
Quarts upon quarts of oil just blew out the dipstick tube all over my engine compartment. I'm guessing that my CCV just went bad...real bad. Any other speculation on probable cause?
I would say you are right on the money.

Or, thinking worst case scenario, your piston(s) are toast. I don't know how much blow-by it would take to push the dipstick out??
__________________
07 WK CRD. GDE-Eco. DPF "Flow Improvement" MIA Resonator. CCV routed to airbox pre-filter. Black turbo inlet tube.
westnewton is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.