2008 CRD - Fuel (DIESEL) Tank Leaking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2008 CRD - Fuel (DIESEL) Tank Leaking

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ BDS 2" suspension lift!! FINALLY a GREAT 2" lTERAFLEX 1.5" Leveling kit for JK!!

Unread 04-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
ryann04
2008 WK 

2008 CRD - Fuel (DIESEL) Tank Leaking

Just noticed yesterday that there was a puddle under my jeep. The fuel tank seems to be leaking heavily. I did some research and found that because it is a steel gas tank and the "skid plate" is so close to the tank, it traps water and other contaminates that eventually RUST right through the gas tank. Poor design flaw by Jeep.

Now I priced out a new tank.... $1500-$2000 CAD after tax and everything... And then I have to put it in myself. I will also have another poor set-up tank/skid to close together, will rust out again. (6 years and it rusted... WTF!!)

So naturally I am looking for another solution.. aftermarket..

I called up a local racing shop/custom work... I am getting a quote on a custom aluminum fuel tank to replace the factory one. I am looking at ~$1000 for it installed. That's a rough estimate of course until he looks at it.

Now... before I start this **** show... is there any advise of what I can look forward to before tackling this job? Any walls I am going to run into during this?

And to all the other diesel owners, have you ran into this problem yet? If not, maybe take some preventative measures! (take off the skid plate and undercoat the crap out of it!!!)

Thanks!

-Ryan

Blue WK Club Member #42 // DIESEL FTW !!!! -Ryan
ryann04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
joeazzj

I would check local wrecking yards I'm shure all the tanks are the same . I'd also check car_part.com you can find one cheaper then that for sure .

97' zj stock till I buy up all my goodies ! 318 242 waiting to go in .
joeazzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeazzj View Post
I would check local wrecking yards I'm shure all the tanks are the same .
The CRD has a different tank capacity listed than the gas engines do, so it might be a unique tank.
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
joeazzj

Well I guess that thing is different all around we did a gear change from 3.73 to 3.07 the front diff is it's own shops look at it and scratch there head lol .

Unread 04-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #5
koj
2010 WK 

A few weeks after I sold my CRD-05 the tank started leaking. The guy that bought it had the tank welded. Didnīt cost very much.
If you by a used tank it might start to leak anytime.
Unread 04-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #6
ryann04
2008 WK 

I am pricing out a custom aluminum replacement tank. Dealer will want $2000+ for the replacement. This custom one will be $800 roughly. Still waiting for a concrete quote from the guy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 04-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #7
willyok
2008 WK 

Thats no too bad. Are you gonna increase capacity?
willyok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2014, 12:04 PM   #8
ryann04
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyok View Post
Thats no too bad. Are you gonna increase capacity?
I would like to. We shall see, first off what we can fit in there comfortably and practicality money wise. I'll keep ya posted.
Unread 04-14-2014, 01:26 PM   #9
BAH101
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryann04
I would like to. We shall see, first off what we can fit in there comfortably and practicality money wise. I'll keep ya posted.
You might be surprised in the extra capacity if you get rid of the rounded corners.
Unread 04-14-2014, 02:58 PM   #10
ryann04
2008 WK 

So I found out a few things today.

1. It is illegal to modify your main fuel tank. This is because of crash ratings, liability, etc...

2. If I put in a "off-road" fuel tank it would cost me $2500~$3000 because of the mis-shaped tank design.

3. part # 68033748AA (fuel tank) is $2110.50 CAD from the Stealership. They want $550.00 for labor.

4. I bought it from the USA for $1200 CAD shipped to my door. I hate getting ripped off in Canada for the extra inflation of car parts!!!! I will put it in myself. I will coat it with rock guard too!!! I will also be adding some sort of spacers to the skid plate to keep a bit more gap there to drain and not rust again!!

I still feel that $1200 for a damn fuel tank is costly. Jeep **** the bed on a poor design, they should bite the bullet!
Unread 04-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #11
joeazzj

Yep I send Cummins injectors to my friend I know the prices lol.

Unread 04-14-2014, 03:38 PM   #12
suzieque
2008 WK 

More than 1 jeep crd owner in this forum has had a fuel tank leak. it seems the space between the metal fuel tank and the metal fuel tank skid plate fills with sand/dirt/gravel/water until it eventually rusts and springs a leak. I asked my dealer to remove my skid plate for me so that I could clean up the surface rust on the fuel tank but they said the fuel tank and skid plate are "one unit", in other words the skid plate is holding up the fuel tank.
All I could do was try to power wash between the metal fuel tank and the metal fuel tank skid plate and then let it dry and then spray in some rust inhibitor. I'm hoping that holds the rust, but the best procedure would be a full removal to get access to the area and properly clean/seal it.

I almost wonder if there should be a recall on this issue. I've never heard of a vehicle fuel rusting through after <5 years.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #13
ryann04
2008 WK 

I contacted Chrysler Canada and put a claim in regarding this issue. I hope they help absorb some of the cost.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 04-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #14
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

damn man thats ****ty...im wonding if i should get the steel skid plate for the fuel tank or not...i dont have any steel ones ATM
Unread 04-14-2014, 08:14 PM   #15
SSF556
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

I thought the tank was plastic????
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
SSF556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.