2007 WK question for other WK owners. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2007 WK question for other WK owners.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #1
Dougyfresh
2007 WK 

2007 WK question for other WK owners.

I've been searching around looking at lift kits and I decided on a spacer lift kit that would be 2 1/2 inches up front and 2 inches in the rear, after talking to my local 4x4 shop the guy informed me that since I have cv transmission, or cv transfer case (I think he said it stood for continuous velocity???) sorry I wrote it down but lost the note. He said that since my front driveshaft is different from a typical driveshaft and doesn't have U joints on it, that if I lifted it even TWO INCHES I would experience a very noticeable vibration caused by the new angle put on my front driveshaft, and that eventually it would probably damage my driveshaft. He said some WK owners are trying to put in custom fit driveshafts when theirs breaks due to the angle but that opens up a whole new can of worms. I've seen a lot of WK's on here with the "hockey puck" spacer lifts and I was wondering if any of y'all have had the same symptoms my mechanic warned me about??? The more I drive my jeep and the more I look for aftermarket parts/accessories for it, the more I feel like I'm driving a really nice riding minivan with a 4x4 sticker slapped on it. I really wonna lift it because stock height looks like it's a freakin low rider for a 4x4 IMO. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I don't think my mechanic would try and blow smoke, he has nothing to gain by lying since I'm leaning towards not getting a lift put on at all after his advice. Thanks!

Dougyfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
colinzj
2006 WK 

I think it's less blowing smoke and more being misinformed.

Two-ish inches should be nothing. Yes, the front diff uses CV axles, but no, you're not going to blow anything up with an inch or two.

You'd be into SuperLift territory (4"+) before having to worry about that sort of strain or damage, and anything worth buying in that range includes the stuff you need to fix your driveline angles anyway.
Unread 08-05-2014, 06:56 AM   #3
LouC
2007 WK 

The front diff angles should not be an issue
At all because the Transfercase and front diff are both bolted to the frame, not like the ZJ/WJ with the live front axles. If anything it would be the angle of the rear driveshaft and front CV joints that might be a concern.
Unread 08-05-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
Dougyfresh
2007 WK 

LouC, he mentioned that the front CV joints would be stressed and that it would cause vibrations especially at high speeds and could cause serious damage to the driveshaft as a result. Plus you mentioned the rear driveshaft as well possibly being an issue, I've already had to put new gears in the rear axle because it failed 4 weeks after purchasing the vehicle. Basically, if there's even a 40% chance that a small 2 inch lift is going to cause me major mechanical problems down the road then I will not get the lift. Thanks everyone for your input!
Unread 08-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
Mitkch
2007 WK 

I've had my budget boost on for over a year now and I've had none of the problems you've mentioned. Just do it, Dougy.
Black WK Club #138
Mitkch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
Dougyfresh
2007 WK 

Thanks for the words of encouragement Mitkch. I'm assuming your 2007 WK has the same CV front axle/driveshaft setup as mine? Mine is a Laredo with the 3.7L v6.
Unread 08-05-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
colinzj
2006 WK 

We've had a Rough Country 2" on my brother's XK for around 50K now. No vibes, no noise, no new parts.

The driveshafts and axle shafts look to be identical across all three engines (after a quick peek at the parts guide), so it's not like you have weaker parts or a substantially different geometry with a 3.7. Go hog wild... just remember you don't have 4Lo to pull you out of the rough stuff.
Unread 08-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
Dougyfresh
2007 WK 

Ok thanks for the words of encouragement colinzj, 4wheelparts is having a summer blowout sale this Saturday so I'm gonna see what kinda deal they can do on a 2in Daystar kit.
Unread 08-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #9
LouC
2007 WK 

The other thing you can look at is the OME 2" lift, their stuff is well thought of and I'm sure if you search you can get information on people's experience here.
On mine I'm going mild because my only off road is on the South Shore Beaches of Long Island NY...
Bilstein 4600s (I have these on our Zj with about 110,000 miles on them and still great)...no lift ..g
General Grabber AT2 245/70-17 (1" taller). We've used this tire on the beach extensively and it works great in soft sand.
Unread 08-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #10
Dougyfresh
2007 WK 

Well I took the jeep to 4WP to get the 2in. lift and after I told them I have the CV front axle/driveshaft they STRONGLY recommended I not lift the jeep. The mechanic at 4WP SAID OVER HALF the WK's he's seen lifted come back within a few weeks with problems/vibrations. He said he's even seen guys put over $10k into the front end with solid axle conversions and new transfer case setups just to make the lift kit work without vibration, you wonna talk about dumping some $$$$$$$! 4WP went on to tell me that 2 weeks ago the reginal manager sent out an email stating that no more lifts on 05-10 WK's were to be installed effective immediately. The mechanic there said "we are more than happy to sell you the lift kit but we won't touch your vehicle, you'll HAVETO install it yourself and then keep your fingers crossed" I even asked if there was a different more expensive lift kit option I could go with and they roundaboutly said no. With that said I have officially decided against lifting my jeep, especially since I heard the same advice from TWO 4x4 shop mechanics and heard the same from my personal mechanic. Which is really aggravating since stick height for a WK is about the same as my sisters minivan..... I have a 95 jeep GC that I've always loved but I would NOT have purchased this 07 WK had I known you can't even lift them safely without doing extensive/expensive work/customization to the front end SMH. Oh well, live and learn I guess

Last edited by Dougyfresh; 08-11-2014 at 05:00 PM..
Unread 08-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #11
LouC
2007 WK 

If you go with Bilstein high pressure gas shocks, and 245/70-17s (30.5" vs 29.5) that will give you a little more clearance, take off the front air dam if you haven't and add the 4xGuard front skid. You will not have any problems at all with that set up other than dealing with clevis bolts on the lower control arms.
Unread 08-11-2014, 05:19 PM   #12
Dougyfresh
2007 WK 

So with the clevis bolts on the lower control arms what problems would I have and would I need to do? My tires have plenty of tread on them so I wouldn't be replacing those for a while, is it a stiffer ride with the new Blistein shocks because I like how it rides right now, it's much smoother than my 95. Just looked at the 4xguard skid plate and they want $250 for it! Guess I was just initially excited about getting away cheap with that spacer lift. Another issue is my front tires already rub when I turn the wheel all the way left or right (which I understand is common with WK's) I wonder if that would only get worse once I got larger tires. Thanks though LouC for your suggestions
Unread 08-11-2014, 05:22 PM   #13
colinzj
2006 WK 

Does nobody in Texas know how to turn a wrench or something?

For three shops (plus a bunch of brainless drooling idiots at 4WorstParts) to imply you can't lift a WK and that it ends in heartbreak 50%+ of the time is super weird.
Unread 08-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #14
LouC
2007 WK 

The front suspension on the WK is more complex and difficult to work on than the ZJ/WJ/XJ models by a lot. For one thing the suspension is a coil over shock which requires you to use a spring compressor like a McPherson strut. The parts that are a problem on these models is that the lower clevis bolt corrodes in the metal sleeve in the lower control arm bushing, and some have reported that the bolt that holds the lower end of the shock in the clevis can be difficult to remove too. There are a few threads on it and people have posted the problems they had and how they got it done. Not an easy job.
I feel that the stock shocks in the WK are OK for street driving but too soft for any kind of off road. Here we off road on the beach and they are way too soft to cope well with the ruts on the beach. I have Bilsteins on our old '98 ZJ, no lift just once size bigger than stock tires and it does better on the beach, has better clearance but also less likely to bottom out.
What tires do you have on the WK now? It should not rub at all with stock size tires.

I think it is possible to lift WKs, many have done it but it has to be done right. A cheap lift is not the way to go. I did not lift the ZJ and do not plan on lifting the WK because its is just not necessary for the off road we do, if you have slightly taller tire and stiffer shocks. 90% of success on beach sand is airing down, and a tire with taller sidewall does better aired down.
Unread 08-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #15
Dougyfresh
2007 WK 

The tires I have on there right now are P245/65R17 and they rub slightly when I cut the wheel all the way, not bad but noticeable. Colinzj I have no idea, although it wasn't 3 shops plus 4WP, 4WP was one of 3 shops that suggested against getting the lift. Technically they were the only place that REFUSED to put the lift on my jeep. Plus the other "shop" that suggested against putting the kit on was just my personal mechanic who does not specialize in 4x4 stuff really, just does a lot of work on his wrangler. I REALLY wish I hadn't gotten all the negative feedback from shops around here though, I was ready with cash in hand to get my jeep lifted last Saturday but not any more. I guess I can always is the $ for a Springfield XD 40 though, always liked those guns, oh well.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.