2007 WK CRD - Code U0106 Lost Communication with Glow Plug Module - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2007 WK CRD - Code U0106 Lost Communication with Glow Plug Module

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 11-29-2012, 05:53 AM   #16
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

I did have my module go bad, it went before any of my glow plugs went. Replaced the module, all was ok for several months. Then i lost glow plugs 2,4, and 6. Replaced those and then also the battery and since everything is fine. Haven't lost anymore plugs. I have a suspicion the old battery, despite seeming ok, was contributing to the death of things. Can't prove that, but others have also suspected a correlation between old battery and failing glow plug system components.

Unread 11-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #17
jaje
2007 WK 

I had to replace the battery as it was struggling to do a cold start and I had a bunch of weird electrical problems in the car (windows auto up wouldn't work right). After replacing it everything back to normal.
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #18
nicksut
2007 WK 

I am getting the P0670 code. I just installed a new gear shift module yesterday, which had deteriorated to the point that it was a hazard. Simultaneously, cold starts had been getting really dicey, almost draining the battery before getting the engine to start (morning temp ~15F), spluttering on a couple cylinders for 10 seconds or so before the others caught. When the new gear shift module was installed the tech cleared all the codes (without writing them down). It shifted fine last night on my way home and no CEL so I was hoping the starting issue might be related for some reason. Last night was pretty cold, and unsure whether the starting issue would manifest again, I plugged in the block heater for the night. It started great this morning but the CEL came on and the shop read the P0670 code.

My question is this: Could the shifter control unit create enough electrical havoc to maybe affect the glow plug control module or glow plugs? If so, I'll risk not plugging in the block heater tonight and see how it starts tomorrow. If there no way these two systems could be impacting each other, then I'll start along the path of 1. checking glow plug control module ground connection 2. test/replace glow plugs, 3. replace glow plug control module?

Thanks for any advice anyone can give. Nick
nicksut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #19
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

nicksut, I don't think the two problems are related. I would just change out the gpcm with the newer part number. Should fix it, but for the sake of being prepared, i would pick up two glow plugs and keep em on the shelf.
Unread 02-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #20
nicksut
2007 WK 

Johnniebravo, Thanks for your response. That's was my suspicion, and after a few days I'm still having a tough time in the mornings. I think you bought the part at the Sprinter store and I wanted to just double check I'm getting the right thing. Is this what it looks like I need? I'm a little out of my depth with this stuff, but doing my best to avoid the stealership and retain some self-esteem. Thanks!
nicksut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #21
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

I am on my phone so its hard to read the diagram, please search my username and there is a thread on the gpcm. Someone posted the site they ordered from for around $140. I think its the site you posted.

Btw, its all easy to do, just read up here first on how to. Allow plenty of time to figure the little things out. Good luck.
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #22
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

gonna bump this

whats the part number for the new GPCM?

mines having a problem starting
had a soft code p1648 which could be a number of things including glow plug module

also any link on how to change it??

thanks
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
15" kicker solo baric L7 w/ Alpine m1000 amp
aftermarket headlights w/5000k HIDs
Red interior LEDs and Red license plate LED
Tinted tails
5% tint over the rear windows
more to come....
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #23
BAH101
2008 WK 

I believe the module is left center front (looking from the rad) of the engine. From what I remember reading, its a couple of bolts and a plug.
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #24
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

yea changing seems to be crazy easy

is there a glow plug relay somewhere? didnt see anything on WKjeeps.com
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
Tinted tails
more to come....
Unread 06-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #25
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDiesel View Post
yea changing seems to be crazy easy

is there a glow plug relay somewhere? didnt see anything on WKjeeps.com
yeah, the picture I posted does not show a glow plug relay, just a glow plug module.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...s-location.jpg
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #26
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Are you looking for a video of changing glow plug module?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lTHsyjuquE

08 CRD @ 163,000
OME HD Lift about 3"
4xGuard Rails
Stillens
AEV Wheels 5.75 BS
JBA UCA's
GSA 255/75/17 32.1" (no bolt cut/no pinch weld)
spare 265/70/17 stock location
Lockpic, 100,000 club
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #27
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

yea i keep hearing people say glow plug relay but i cant find a damn thing

im gonna see if i can get a new module and change it out tomorrow

atleast its crazy easy to do
ill also pick up some glow plugs aswell. just incase
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
Tinted tails
more to come....
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #28
multihulls
2006 XK Commander 

I've had an issue with my#2 GP. The scanned was done via my Green Diesel programmer - P0672. I have replaced the GP and still have the problem. I have removed GP #1 & #2 and then hot wired them so I can see them glow up when removed. GP #1 works and #2 doesn't. I then swapped the GP's and #2 still doesn't work. I've check the brass connector and wire for a break or damage but none to be seen.
Does anyone have a idea what the problem is?
Also where do i find the GP control module, maybe this could be the issue with a faulty connection for #2 wire.
multihulls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 02:12 AM   #29
multihulls
2006 XK Commander 

I've found a YouTube on it.
Unread 08-02-2013, 02:49 AM   #30
multihulls
2006 XK Commander 

I just ran a resistance test with a multimeter from the glow plug brass connector back to the plug at the Module and it's perfect. There's no resistance so the mauve/black wire is OK so where's the problem? I'm pretty sure I know the answer that I may need to change my GP module just to get the #2 to glow but does anyone know if there's anything else I should check or do before I going spending dollars.
Is there a master reboot?
Should I hit it with a hammer or if that doesn't work maybe use a bigger hammer?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.