2007 WK CRD - Code U0106 Lost Communication with Glow Plug Module - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2007 WK CRD - Code U0106 Lost Communication with Glow Plug Module

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-07-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
tdibadger
2007 WK 

2007 WK CRD - Code U0106 Lost Communication with Glow Plug Module

Long time lurker, first time poster. I purchased my 2007 WK CRD in 8/08 with 400 miles on it from a Jeep dealer in Plymouth, WI. It currently has 47,000 miles on it. It is one of the diesels that were Chrysler buy backs due to a fuel issue when new. Love Jeeps, but this one has issues.

Its current problem is with the glow plugs and the glow plug modules. About two weeks ago, the check engine light came on. I scanned the codes which were P0607 and U0106 dealing with glow plug failure and failure to communicate with glow plug control module. I have an extended warranty and took the vehicle in to my local Jeep dealership. It turned out that 5 out of 6 glow plugs were bad, so they replaced them. I've owned diesel vehicles for over 10 years and have never seen or heard this many plugs going bad at one time. The dealership replaced them at my cost. Problem seemed fixed.

About a week later, the light returned. Same codes. Took vehicle back to dealer. This time all plugs were good, but they determined the module was bad. They replaced the module, but the light came on again. This was replaced under extended warranty. Service department was baffled, and they contacted Chrysler for further advice. The next day after rechecking their installation, the light stayed off. Chrysler had informed them that if the light came on again with the same codes that the vehicle's computer might need to be replaced. Called me to pick up vehicle. I didn't get two miles down the road and the light returned. Code U0106 again - lost communication with glow plug control module.

Vehicle is going back to dealer tonight. Ironically, the vehicle runs fine. It hasn't been that cold yet, so starting isn't a problem. The service department has been great through all of this, and I compliment them for their efforts. However, if anyone has had similar issues with their Grand Cherokee or has any advice that I could share with the service department, I would greatly appreciate it. The only thing that has been added to the Jeep is a brake controller.

tdibadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
suzieque
2008 WK 

maybe merlin will chime in with a suggestion as I've not read a post like this before. I recall merlin saying that the glow plug module is grounded near the fuel filter, maybe you have a poor ground connection?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/g...1/#post9181687
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
merlinTec

Hi
Well done suzieque that's where they need to start.
Unread 10-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
tdibadger
2007 WK 

Thanks! I will call the service department Monday AM with this info. Funny thing - I originally had mentioned the ground wire by the fuel filter when this issue first started. I don't know if they didn't check it, or they thought that because the fuel filter was changed at 25,000 miles 10 months ago that it wouldn't be an issue.
Unread 12-06-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
DREWSCRD
2007 WK 

I also bought a jeep crd from a dealer in plymouth Wi and i am now having the same problem. I have 70.000 miles on mine and the issue first showed up in july at 68000 miles. all 6 of my glow plugs burnt out and i had to replace them at my cost but the warranty covered the control module. the problem is back again now, same thing. i am going to take it to a different dealer this time. what did they find was wrong with yours?
DREWSCRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
tdibadger
2007 WK 

Drew,

The follow up to this is that the dealership determined that there was a miscommunication between the ECM and the glow plug module. They traced all the wires for shorts and found none. Ground wire was properly attached. They then replaced the ECM (under warranty). Light stayed off. On Oct. 28, I traded the vehicle in. I just couldn't depend on it anymore. I put approximately 1000 miles on it between its last service and the time I traded it in. Everything ran fine, but I had lost confidence in the vehicle. I had the vehicle serviced in Wis. Rapids since I live in central Wisconsin. They were great in how they handled the situation, but they had not serviced many GC CRDs. I think they were baffled as well. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Unread 12-13-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
DREWSCRD
2007 WK 

Bought my jeep to a different dealer today and told them the history of the problem and the helpful information that you all have told me (big thanks to suzieque)they called me back within a couple of hours with a diagnosis. they checked all the wires and found that even though the ground connection was good, there was too much resistance to ground (bad wire). This was causing the error to the module which caused the glow plugs to stay on after the engine was running thus burning them out. they are ordering the new parts and i should have my jeep back tomorrow
DREWSCRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
merlinTec

I should right a TSB I think for this lol well done.
Unread 01-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
StuGood
2002 WJ 

Glow plug comms???

Just found the two codes - U0106 and P0607 using my OBDII scanner - problem is, I only scanned it because the ABS light came on - intermittently at first and over the course of the day its now constant and won't go off.
Anyone got any ideas?, I can check the issues with the glowplugs and earth wire fine myself, but the ABS light showing for this is a mystery, anyone seen/heard of this one before?
StuGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #10
Sizzlenut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DREWSCRD View Post
Bought my jeep to a different dealer today and told them the history of the problem and the helpful information that you all have told me (big thanks to suzieque)they called me back within a couple of hours with a diagnosis. they checked all the wires and found that even though the ground connection was good, there was too much resistance to ground (bad wire). This was causing the error to the module which caused the glow plugs to stay on after the engine was running thus burning them out. they are ordering the new parts and i should have my jeep back tomorrow
I tested the voltage at my glow plugs at startup and found that they stayed powered during cranking and even after the engine fired up for a minute or so. I've not heard of this before. I have worked on larger modern diesel engines and when you crank them, voltage is stopped to the plugs. Two reasons- to supply max voltage to the starter and so that you don't blow anything up if you have to use a starting fluid. Can anyone tell me if this is normal for a Jeep?
Sizzlenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #11
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

It is normal. The glow plugs get a full 12v for a few seconds right before start, afterwards they get intermittent voltage at approx 4.5 volts using Pulse Width Modulation (PWM). The glow plugs are used during various times to assist with keeping cylinder temps up while driving if engine is cold and they also assist during regen. In other vehicles with the OM642, the emissions warranty (Sprinter vans) covers the glow and glow plug control module because they assist with limiting...emissions.

Its all new to me, but I have found nearly EVERYTHING I want to know about how our diesel motor works over on the "Sprinter-Forum". Tons of great info. BTW, if you do look there, we fall under the NCV3 section.
Unread 01-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #12
ktmkris
2008 WK 

i had the p0607 code also and when i checked the glow plugs 3 of 6 were burnt out. my local jeep dealership is where my cousin works. i was able to speak to there diesel mechanic and he said he has never seen a glow plug module go out. he has 5 used ones he has changed and said they have always came back as a ground wire or just glowplugs. for that reason he will not change just one plug at the time. he pushes for all 6. i do all of my work and they sale me parts at wholesale so its fine with me. my last set of beru plugs were under $20 a piece. don't know if that little bit of info will help.
ktmkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #13
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

As far a modules going bad, they may not be many going bad on jeeps, but a look on sprinter forums shows that they do go bad.

Could be a numbers thing.
Unread 11-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #14
mitek
2008 WK 

I have been having this same problem as well for the last couple of months. First I thought it was related to the fuel filter change but I checked the ground wire and it was OK, I even reattached the ground wire to the other bolt close by so it doesn't need to be disconnected in the future. Has anybody had the actual module go bad or it is usually something to do with the glow plugs? I had changed a glow plug a couple of years ago but that time a had a specific CEL code indicating that.
2008 WK 3.0 CRD, GDE HOT tune, AEM Dryflo 9" cone air filter, Turbo muffler delete, Resonator delete, DPF delete, Bilstein HD F/R, Eibach lowering springs, GC SRT8 F/R sway bars, GC SRT8 20" wheels: summer (staggered) / winter (black replicas with Blizzaks), GC SRT8 seats F/R
mitek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #15
oilverland
2008 WK 

Service records that came with my rig indicate glow plug module was replaced. I guess we have to take it on faith that it was actually bad. Anything electronic can go bad but that goes without saying.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.