2007 WK Broken Subframe Bolt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2007 WK Broken Subframe Bolt

KrawlOff-Road.com now Carries Iron Rock Off Road!!!!!Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
NGreen
2008 WK 

2007 WK Broken Subframe Bolt

I'm curious to see if anyone has ever found any of their subframe bolts broken because of rust. I found a broken bolt head sitting in the driveway and figured it was my XJ's. Couldn't find any random bolts without bolt heads on the XJ and remembered I needed to get the front end aligned on the WK. Sure enough, I do need it aligned because the drivers side front subframe is separated from the frame by about 3/8" and the suspect bolt is still there with no bolt head. It's curious because I've never taken this jeep off of the highway and it's usually driven by my wife so I don't think it's been abused to the point where a subframe bolt would break. Also, do you think this is could be a warranty issue or am I just stuck trying to fix it myself hoping nothing else is broken. I can't tell yet but I'd suspect that the subframe is bent because the other bolts are holding just fine but there's a large gap on the drivers side front...enough to cause the steering wheel to be off center and the jeep to pull to the passenger side.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Notice the sway bar limit tab flush with the bushing bracket on the passenger side.

A 9/16" wrench fits in there just fine

The offensive bolt head

Drivers Side...Notice the bolt head in the correct spot and the gap where the sway bar limit tab is between the bracket and the tab.

NGreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
NGreen
2008 WK 

Well, taking it to the dealer tomorrow to see if they are gonna replace it or not. On the positive side, they're letting us take a 2012 Overland Summit edition home until they figure it out!
Unread 02-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
NGreen
2008 WK 

Well, it looks like I'm doing the bolt myself because the Jeep dealer can't seem to figure out how it would rust in half. I tried to explain to them that it happens from time to time with defective bolts but they didn't seem to understand that. Their explanation was that I must have gotten into an accident somehow and broken it that way and it would not be covered by warranty. Seems like a lame explanation to me, but oh well.

So, has anyone removed the front subframe before and have any tips from where snags might be?
Unread 02-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53guy View Post
Well, it looks like I'm doing the bolt myself because the Jeep dealer can't seem to figure out how it would rust in half. I tried to explain to them that it happens from time to time with defective bolts but they didn't seem to understand that. Their explanation was that I must have gotten into an accident somehow and broken it that way and it would not be covered by warranty. Seems like a lame explanation to me, but oh well.

So, has anyone removed the front subframe before and have any tips from where snags might be?
So then how do they explain the rust on the broken side of the bolt head? That "accident" you got in must have happened some time ago, huh? What a joke. Hope you're able to get in there and replace it.

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
September 2013/January 2015 COTM
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2012, 11:43 PM   #5
fatfreddy
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53guy View Post

Buy yourself a reverse drill bit and drill the old bolt out.That is a drill bit that you run the drill in reverse to do the drilling.Sometimes the bit will grab and spin the bolt out.If that doesn't work get a small brazing tip on a cutting torch and put the flame up in the hole and cherry up the bolt.Then let it cool off then try an easy-out.They are using the cheapest crap bolts they can buy now a days to put stuff together.They work harden over time and then just break.
fatfreddy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Honestly, find another dealer and get them to cover it.
Unread 02-29-2012, 05:46 AM   #7
NGreen
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfreddy View Post
Buy yourself a reverse drill bit and drill the old bolt out.That is a drill bit that you run the drill in reverse to do the drilling.Sometimes the bit will grab and spin the bolt out.If that doesn't work get a small brazing tip on a cutting torch and put the flame up in the hole and cherry up the bolt.Then let it cool off then try an easy-out.They are using the cheapest crap bolts they can buy now a days to put stuff together.They work harden over time and then just break.
Ya, I'm debating trying to use an easy out but being a 10.9, even a crap quality bolt is still hardened and bound to be a pain in the butt. It almost seems easier to just drop the subframe an inch to get a pair of vice grips in there and work it out that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas WJ View Post
Honestly, find another dealer and get them to cover it.
There's only one other in the area and we're trying. We're also calling Chrysler customer service to see what they can do. The issue is I have to get my wife to do everything with two kids (military, not able to get out of work during the week) and is it worth the hassle at this point? Trying to debate if it is worth my time to try and get the dealer to cover it or just buy the $20 in bolts and do it myself. If nothing else it'll be interesting. The FSM says to take off a bunch of parts and somehow suspend the motor and front diff at the same time just to drop the subframe out.
Unread 02-29-2012, 05:59 AM   #8
GrilledJeep
2005 WK 

My oil pan is the rustiest thing on my 05' WK...pissed I can't change it myself.

wonder how my bolts are doing...the clamps that hold the exhaust on look a little shoddy and covered with rust.

find any other issues post-bolt.

2011 Dodge Challenger - RT. 5.7 :)
GrilledJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2012, 06:28 AM   #9
NGreen
2008 WK 

Other than my alignment off, no other issues yet. I'm sure there are a bunch of things that could be wrong but nothing as of yet. I'll let you know when I replace them this weekend.
Unread 02-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
modernblueWK

That bolt has been cracked or split for a long time. An accident would cause a sudden stress with directional marks in the metal. That one failed over a long period of time.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
GoGadgetWK
2010 WK 

After reading this. I just went out and checked my bolts since I do a lot of off roading. They are all good for now. They must have made these bolts with the same material they make the exhaust bolts with. My exhaust bolts broke like that a while back. The dealer replaced those under warranty.
-AFE stage 2 with grey filter-BFG TA KO 245/75R17-MB Gunner5 chrome 17"Rims 5.5 BKspce/25mm offset-Forks/Springs of 3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor Lift-Fabricated rear factory shock extensions-Custom made 1.5" rear bump stop spacers-Thule slide out Ski/Snowboard rack-Warn XD9000 winch with 2" hitch receiver-Fabricated front hitch receiver-5Warn offroad lights W/Fabricated removable lightbar
GoGadgetWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
NGreen
2008 WK 

I'd like to say a dealer in Eastern NC could be worth a darn but this is not the case. Even after getting in touch with the Chrysler assistance line, they all said that because of the environment I live in (eastern NC), that the bolts are subject to failure due to rust and would not be covered under warranty. Again, I call BS on that because look at the area around the bolt, hardly any rust at all, not to mention I don't think they actually took a look at the bolt head to see how it broke. After being completely fed up with the dealer and Chrysler, I'll be replacing the cradle bolts tomorrow. Lets hope I can get to the bolt with vise grips without having to completely remove the cradle.
Unread 03-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #13
criket
2005 WK 

Well if they are blaming eastern NC for rust, then maybe you could blame Eastern NC for sand in thier vagina. That's retarded man. So according to what they are saying, your Jeep should basically be a rust bucket since you live in Eastern NC. So every car sold in Eastern NC should be sold without drivetrain warranty because of the Eastern NC environment? Because the sand and salty air causes rust? Bull Crap.

Sorry for the rant. Things like this really tick me off. Good luck with that bolt. Use a lot of PB blaster. Also look into renting some tools from Auto Zone, Advance or somewhere if you don't have the proper tools. Wish you were closer because I'd help.
2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG antenna mount | Rola roof
criket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #14
modernblueWK

So jeeps sold in the rust belt are really screwed!
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #15
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by criket View Post
Well if they are blaming eastern NC for rust, then maybe you could blame Eastern NC for sand in thier vagina. That's retarded man. So according to what they are saying, your Jeep should basically be a rust bucket since you live in Eastern NC. So every car sold in Eastern NC should be sold without drivetrain warranty because of the Eastern NC environment? Because the sand and salty air causes rust? Bull Crap.

Sorry for the rant. Things like this really tick me off. Good luck with that bolt. Use a lot of PB blaster. Also look into renting some tools from Auto Zone, Advance or somewhere if you don't have the proper tools. Wish you were closer because I'd help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernblueWK View Post
So jeeps sold in the rust belt are really screwed!
Read the warranty manual,clearly states that failures from stuff like salt and the like are not covered by any warranty.

It takes alot of force to break a grade 10.9 bolt,more so a M12 10.9 bolt.It did not rust apart you hit a curb or something very hard for that to break and not admitting it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.