2007 WK 3.0 CRD 80Kmi ETC CEL P0101 P0088 LIMP MODE - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2007 WK 3.0 CRD 80Kmi ETC CEL P0101 P0088 LIMP MODE

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiBushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 12-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #16
DieselDevotion
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jospwr
Had mechanic replace the 53013672AE air cleaner to turbo hose, and clean up oil on & around the swirl motor, yesterday. They double-checked the mass air flow sensor range, cleared the codes, & test-drove for 20 miles. Cost of hose purchased online ($86) + mechanic ($85) = $171, total.

I picked up the car & put it through about an hour of driving, testing it by accelerating & downshifting somewhat harder than normal, with no problems. I was happy, or so I thought, until I was coasting down a 1/4 mile hill @ 30 mph, in traffic, when the check engine light & ETC lights came on, putting me into limp mode.

Codes thrown P0101 & P0088, again. Cleared the codes, just now, started the engine & let idle for 2 minutes, then re-checked. Code P0101 on meter w/out CEL ot ETC.

I don't regret the air hose repair, as it had to happen, obviously, but I still have issues.

I had written to GDE a, couple of weeks ago, with questions about their tune and got this back (& quickly - great customer service):

I would recommend the ECO tune for your application. The tune is not going to do anything for the P0088 code, this is your main issue and leading to a limp home most likely, or an engine shutdown.

I am attaching the flash tool instructions for your review.

Thanks
Keith
GDE Calibrator

Going to read up on P0088 error codes. Any help would be appreciated.
It says you had the mechanic check the fuel filter but did they install a new one? Did you check the fuel pressure from the lift pump (low pressure fuel pump in the tank)?

DieselDevotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #17
suzieque
2008 WK 

from my All Data account for troubleshooting a P0088
1. CHECKING FOR OTHER ECM DTCS

WARNING: HIGH-PRESSURE FUEL LINES DELIVER DIESEL FUEL UNDER EXTREME PRESSURE FROM THE INJECTION PUMP TO THE FUEL INJECTORS. THIS MAY BE AS HIGH AS 23,200 PSI (1600 BAR). USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN INSPECTING FOR HIGH-PRESSURE FUEL LEAKS.

WARNING: FUEL UNDER THIS AMOUNT OF PRESSURE CAN PENETRATE SKIN CAUSING PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH. INSPECT FOR HIGH-PRESSURE FUEL LEAKS WITH A SHEET OF CARDBOARD. WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES AND ADEQUATE PROTECTIVE CLOTHING WHEN SERVICING FUEL SYSTEM.

Turn the ignition on.
With the scan tool, read the ECM DTCs.
Are there any other DTCs present?

Yes

• Refer to symptom list for problems related to the DTC other than this DTC.
  • Perform the ECM VERIFICATION TEST.
No

• Go To 2
2. CURRENT DTC

NOTE: Refer to the service information and perform the Air Bleed Procedure before continuing diagnosis.

Turn the ignition on.
With the scan tool, erase the ECM DTCs.

NOTE: Driving the vehicle up and down steep hills or rapid cornering with a low fuel level can cause this DTC to set. Verify with customer if Low Fuel Light was illuminated when fault occurred.

Test drive the vehicle under various load and speed conditions to attempt to duplicate the fault.
Does the scan tool display this DTC?

Yes

• Go To 3
No

• Refer to the *CHECKING FOR AN INTERMITTENT DTC Diagnostic Procedure.
3. FUEL SYSTEM LEAK
Turn the ignition off.

WARNING: HIGH-PRESSURE FUEL LINES DELIVER DIESEL FUEL UNDER EXTREME PRESSURE FROM THE INJECTION PUMP TO THE FUEL INJECTORS. THIS MAY BE AS HIGH AS 23,200 PSI (1600 BAR). USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN INSPECTING FOR HIGH-PRESSURE FUEL LEAKS.

WARNING: FUEL UNDER THIS AMOUNT OF PRESSURE CAN PENETRATE SKIN CAUSING PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH. INSPECT FOR HIGH-PRESSURE FUEL LEAKS WITH A SHEET OF CARDBOARD. WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES AND ADEQUATE PROTECTIVE CLOTHING WHEN SERVICING FUEL SYSTEM.

Inspect the entire fuel system for leakage.
Is there any evidence of leakage?

Yes

• Repair as necessary.
  • Perform the ECM Verification Test Ver. 1.
No

• Go To 4
4. FUEL SYSTEM CONTAMINATION

NOTE: Mixing any other fuels such as gasoline or kerosine can cause this DTC to set.

Inspect the fuel system for contamination.
Is the fuel contaminated?

Yes

• Repair as necessary.
No

• Go To 5
5. FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR CALIBRATION
Turn the ignition on.
With the scan tool, read the Fuel Pressure Sensor volts.
Does the scan tool display between 0.45 and 0.60 volts for the Fuel Pressure Sensor?

Yes

• Go To 6
No

• Check the Fuel Pressure Sensor wiring and connectors for corrosion or poor terminal contact that could cause high resistance. repair as necessary. If wiring and connectors are o.k., replace the Fuel Pressure Sensor.
6. ATTEMPT TO START ENGINE
Attempt to start the engine.
Does the engine start and idle?

Yes

• Go To 7
No

• Go To 12
7. CHECKING FOR AIR IN FUEL SYSTEM
With the scan tool in Sensors, compare the Fuel Pressure Setpoint with the Actual Fuel Pressure readings.

NOTE: If there is air in the fuel system, the Actual Fuel Pressure will oscillate more than 100 psi above and/or below the Fuel Pressure Setpoint.

Does Actual Fuel Pressure oscillate more than 100 psi above and/or below the Fuel Pressure Setpoint?

Yes

• Refer to the service information to purge air from the fuel system.
No

• Go To 8
8. FUEL PRESSURE SOLENOID
With the scan tool, compare the Fuel Pressure Setpoint with the actual Fuel Pressure.

NOTE: A sticking Fuel Pressure Solenoid is indicated by the actual Fuel Pressure gradually dropping below the Fuel Pressure Setpoint then suddenly increasing (spiking) above the Fuel Pressure Setpoint.

Does the actual Fuel Pressure gradually decrease then suddenly increase (spike) above the Fuel Pressure Setpoint?

Yes

• Replace the Fuel Pressure Solenoid.
No

• Go To 9
9. CHECKING FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEM
Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

NOTE: The following is a list of problems that can cause fuel pressure to deviate from specification: restricted fuel filter or fuel lines, failed fuel pressure solenoid, air in fuel system, failed fuel sending unit, contaminated fuel, faulty injector.

Were there any problems with the Fuel Delivery System?

Yes

• Repair as necessary.
No

• Go To 10
10. FUEL INJECTOR(S)

NOTE: An injector that sticks open can cause this DTC. A sticking injector will cause the engine to misfire and emit excessive black smoke from the exhaust system.

Does the engine exhibit the symptoms described in the above note?

Yes

• Remove and inspect the Fuel Injectors for signs of damage or debris that may cause the injector to stick. Sticking injectors may cause the combustion chamber to become black and oil soaked. Replace Injector(s) as necessary.
No

• Go To 11
11. FUEL PRESSURE SOLENOID
Turn the ignition off.
Replace the Fuel Pressure Solenoid.
Turn the ignition on.
Attempt to start and test drive the vehicle.
Does the ECM display this DTC?

Yes

• Replace the Fuel Pump.
No

• Test Complete.
12. CHECKING FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEM
Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

NOTE: The following is a list of problems that can cause fuel pressure to deviate from specification: restricted fuel filter or fuel lines, failed fuel pressure solenoid, air in fuel system, failed fuel sending unit, contaminated fuel, faulty injector.

Were there any problems with the Fuel Delivery System?

Yes

• Repair as necessary.
No

• Go To 13
13. FUEL PRESSURE SOLENOID
Turn the ignition off.
Replace the Fuel Pressure Solenoid.
Turn the ignition on.
Does the ECM display this DTC?

Yes

• Go To 14
No

• Test Complete.
14. FUEL QUANTITY SOLENOID
Turn the ignition off.
Replace the Fuel Quantity Solenoid.
Turn the ignition on.
Did this DTC set again?

Yes

• Replace the Fuel Pump.
No

• Test Complete.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #18
Jospwr
1946 CJ2A 

Thank you, DieselDave. I will start with the fuel filter and go from there.

Thank you, too, suzique. I bought a year on All Data after my last post. I truly appreciate you posting the P0088 troubleshooting protocol. If anyone wants anything from All Data on the WK, let me know. suzieque, send folks my way after your subscriptions ends. I'm good into December 2013.
Unread 12-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #19
Jospwr
1946 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jospwr View Post
Thank you, DieselDave. I will start with the fuel filter and go from there.

Subarticles

FILTER FUEL AND WATER SEPARATOR - REMOVAL
FILTER FUEL AND WATER SEPARATOR - REMOVAL
FILTER FUEL AND WATER SEPARATOR - INSTALLATION

REMOVAL

Warning:

No sparks, open flames or smoking. Risk of poisoning from inhaling and swallowing fuel. Risk of injury to eyes and skin from contact with fuel. Pour fuels only into suitable and appropriately marked containers. Wear protective clothing.

Disconnect negative battery cable.

Insert a suitable hose into the fuel drain port in rear of filter, turn drain port counterclockwise and drain fuel into a suitable and appropriately marked container.

Disconnect fuel feed and return lines at fuel filter and set aside.

Disconnect fuel heater electrical connector at fuel filter.

Remove fuel filter retaining bracket bolt and remove fuel filter.

INSTALLATION

Warning:

No sparks, open flames or smoking. Risk of poisoning from inhaling and swallowing fuel. Risk of injury to eyes and skin from contact with fuel. Pour fuels only into suitable and appropriately marked containers. Wear protective clothing.

Assure fuel filter drain port is closed.

Connect fuel heater electrical connector.

Position fuel filter in bracket and tighten retaining bolt to 5 Nm (44 in. lbs.).

Connect fuel feed and return lines.

Connect negative battery cable.

Start engine and inspect for leaks.
2007-wk-diesel-fuel-filter-replace-.jpg  
Unread 12-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #20
Jospwr
1946 CJ2A 

FREE SITE FOR ALL VEHICLES ( Username: canon Password: library ), INCLUDING:

Repair Info - Step-by-step, repair-oriented information for all areas of your vehicle. Browse or keyword search to find the repair of interest.

Technical Bulletins & Recalls - Technical Service Bulletins and Recall information on your vehicle.

Diagrams - Electrical Wiring Diagrams for your vehicle.

Maintenance Intervals - Provides a full list of scheduled maintenance needs for your vehicle.

Specifications - Provides a full list of specifications for your vehicle.

Labor Times - Determine the time it takes to do a repair and estimate the cost of the repair.

Last edited by Jospwr; 12-18-2012 at 10:25 AM..
Jospwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #21
donDavide
2007 WK 

I started to have the ETC issue 2 weeks ago, shut it down and restated vehicle and it ran fine from Jersey City to Annapolis. A wek later drove 10 miles, shut it off and when I got back in it started again, shut down and restart and ran fine. Last night drove 1 miles and shut down, restart and then CEL cam on and ETC light also and now wont go away, stopped at AutoBone for a scan, codes 2015 and 1270. I check out GDE and they seem high, I have used Rocket Chip on TDi'z so I called him because we have disscused this (tuning), I know he offers a 20hp and a 40 hp increase but the one concern is the Tranny, rated for 400 on the torque and that what the engine already puts out. Based on work he has done for me in the past I suspect he will be significantly less than GDE
donDavide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #22
donDavide
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donDavide View Post
I started to have the ETC issue 2 weeks ago, shut it down and restated vehicle and it ran fine from Jersey City to Annapolis. A wek later drove 10 miles, shut it off and when I got back in it started again, shut down and restart and ran fine. Last night drove 1 miles and shut down, restart and then CEL cam on and ETC light also and now wont go away, stopped at AutoBone for a scan, codes 2015 and 1270. I check out GDE and they seem high, I have used Rocket Chip on TDi'z so I called him because we have disscused this (tuning), I know he offers a 20hp and a 40 hp increase but the one concern is the Tranny, rated for 400 on the torque and that what the engine already puts out. Based on work he has done for me in the past I suspect he will be significantly less than GDE
I went with GDE and back in action!
donDavide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #23
Zlartibartfast

2007 WK 

good choice on the GDE tune and don't worry about the transmission in the CRD it's rated for (as I recall) 500 ft lbs - the model# is deceptive. you'd think they're saying it's 400 ft lbs but this one's <i>special</i>
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.