2007 Tail Lamp Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2007 Tail Lamp Problem

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
ccdjeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

2007 Tail Lamp Problem

Hey ya'll. I have a 07 Grand Cherokee with a tail light issue, here is the run down.

Turn key to ON, everything works.
Crank ignition with Light Switch to A, ON, Running Lights, Tail Lamp on Drivers side FAILURE. No tail light, no brake light, no turn signal.
Turn Light Switch OFF, eventually brake light, and turn signal return.

Weird huh.

I was raised up a car guy so I have already checked fuses, relays, bulbs, wiring, voltage, ground. All good, even replaced the fuses and relay for the heck of it, swapped bulbs too. Same deal. I recently found on a random yahoo! thread where somebody had a similar problem and the call to fix this similar issue was replacing the Tail Lamp Socket. So, I pulled the assembly back apart to check and the contacts on the socket are all discolored, they aren't cooked or melted, just definitely some Arcing has been going on. I am getting a new socket on Monday to see if this fixes this problem, but if it doesn't, I am at a loss as to what to try next. Any thoughts? I am an old school car guy so if this is a circuit board or computer problem I won't even know where to start to look. Thanks for any help!

Mine may be rolling stock, but at least it rolls off-road.
ccdjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2011, 07:20 AM   #2
Budasac
2005 WK 

Your tail lights are slightly different then my 05. But I'm still pretty sure all functions are fused seperately: ie, running lights, brake lights, turn signals. They are also split left and right. So there are four to six fuses and relays total for your tails. So, if your left tail goes out completely I would tend to think it's the connection at the bulb or in the harness somewhere. If the contacts are discolored like you said that could very well be your problem. Hopefully the new socket clears up the issue. I would suggest you put a little dielectric grease in the socket befor installing the lamp, it'll help to prevent corrosion and arcing.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

yea my drivers side tail light is doin the same thing
comes on when i unlock the car and what not, but when i turn the car on it doesnt work
didnt try replacing the bulb yet....my led tail light bulb works tho just gotta find a better spot for the resistor
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
ccdjeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

$20 freakin bucks for a tail lamp socket from Landers-McClarty Jeep here in Huntsville, AL. Nonstock, special order item only. What? Also needed ONE count em ONE single, solitary floor drain plug for my 2007 JK, also a nonstock, special order item, cost $15...I skipped it I was so pissed. What happened to decent parts houses and service shops that are worth a flip?

Unread 10-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #5
KeenKong

Hey all. Having the same problem. 2007 Grand Cherokee Laredo. When my headlights are OFF my left rear brake light and turn signal work just fine but when my headlights are ON that bulb is not working. I've checked out some other threads that dealt with '00 or '01 GC's but the housing for the lights is different on mine and doesn't have the contact points that seemed to be the problem with the older model. I just had my bumper replaced and am wondering if they jostled something out of place?? Help would be appreciated.
KeenKong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
ccdjeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

KeenKong,
when my new socket comes in I will let you know if it fixed it. If that ain't it I will have to check my wires I guess.

Unread 10-28-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
ccdjeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

The verdict is in, my new tail lamp socket came in part #4857378-AA. And I now have fully functioning tail lights again. The guy at the parts department actually admitted it has been a long time running problem...go figure.

Unread 11-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #8
igloid
2007 WK 

I have just developed this problem. Thanks for the info.
igloid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 05:49 AM   #9
jhb645

2007 grand cherokee tail light dead, light and turn.
jhb645 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 08:17 PM   #10
kimjulie

Had the exact same issue and sockets were the fix! (After three hours of a electric guy trying to diagnose. Wish I had seen this post!)
kimjulie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #11
Birdfird
2005 WK 

I have been trying to find this thread forever. Just ordered form rock auto. The number they had on file for the part number was (#5143157AA, 880)
Birdfird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #12
crotzo80
1983 CJ8 

Hate to bring up an old thread but I am now having this problem. Or at least a very similar one. Please read on…

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 5.7l Hemi 4WD

I have both rear tail lamps ( brake lights, turn signals, running lights) that have fail to work at all when the headlight switch on the stick is in anything other than the '0' or when the headlights set to auto are on.

The tail lamps, turn signals, and brake lights work just fine with the light selector in the off position, as soon as the headlights come on the brake lights simply don't work, no turns, brakes, or running lights.

Where to turn next?

Here's what I have tried.
Searched here, found that people are saying to replace the sockets and all will be well, OK tried that, here's what happened… Ordered what I thought I needed from Rock Auto, and received in the mail a socket that doesn't look at all like the one that I "need" to replace. All the parts sites have the wrong part, advance auto, rock auto, auto zone. I can't explain this… simply cannot.

My belief is that something else is at play here, I have reading somewhere on the web that some guy took his jeep in and the tech said a board needed to be replaced. I almost believe this as the issue is directly tied to whether the headlights are on or not.

Does anyone out there know what I am talking about?

Please come back with something!!
crotzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #13
robpp

Show us a picture....of socket from RA and your one on the jeep.
Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos
robpp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2014, 12:08 AM   #14
danbrazelton
2007 WK 

Same problem

I've got the same exact issue. At first it was just the left turn signal intermittently not working. Usually in the rain - so I thought it was getting wet. Sealed the socket, but no joy. Now the other turn signal intermittently fails and I just discovered my brake lights don't work.

I just realized that when it's raining, it's also dark - so maybe the failure was that headlights were on.

So this was an intermittent issue, but not seems to be consistent. Will replace sockets tomorrow if i can and will report. I think this is probably something else in the electronics though.

[edit] I confirmed that the brakelights and turn signals fail when headlight is on only. Went out this morning and looked into the sockets. One of the connections was brownish burnt. Bent the contacts in a bit and now it works perfectly. I will replace the sockets because the are cheap, but fixed for now.

Last edited by danbrazelton; 06-25-2014 at 09:49 AM..
danbrazelton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.