2007 SRT brake and air bag deployment failure? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2007 SRT brake and air bag deployment failure?

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 02-10-2008, 01:22 AM   #1
haumana
kickin' it in the VOG!

2000 WJ 

2007 SRT brake and air bag deployment failure?

My neighbor just crashed his beautiful black SRT into his rock wall after barely glancing his tricked out chevy pick-up. He babied the SRT and it only had 4k miles on it.

I was totally sick when I saw it. He walked away with only a some bruises and possibly a broken forearm. The steering wheel was totally bent, the rear view mirror was shattered, and the entire front end buckled under and he cracked the tranny open and there was tranny fluid everywhere. I swear the entire dash was pushed back further into the cab area.

Funny thing is that he hit the wall square but there was no air bag deployment, and he said that he had no brakes at all. He drove it around all day, but the brakes only gave out as he was pulling into his drive way.

Any one experienced this? (the brakes and the air bag .... not the rock wall part)

http://midpacsolutions.com
haumana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 02:57 AM   #2
merlinTec

Hi
I have heard of air bags not going off not because of a fault just they where not needed to protect anyone. In your case this does seem that they should have, do you have any pictures. Was he wearing his seat belt as this will also affect deployment. The air bag module is a black box flight recorder so jeep can retrieve all the info of what the jeep was doing up to the crash and I am sure jeep will want to do this.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 02-10-2008, 03:06 AM   #3
haumana
kickin' it in the VOG!

2000 WJ 

Thanks Merlin. I'm pretty sure he had the seat belt on, else he would've ended up on his terraced landscape.

I wish I took photos, but I was in total shock that I didn't think to run home to get my camera.

I don't know how his insurance company is going to handle the claim, but hopefully an investigation will turn up something useful.

I'm just wishing that I had a WK so I could go and harvest some parts for myself . But the main thing is that he was able to walk away from this accident.

Unread 02-10-2008, 05:46 AM   #4
07WKLtd
2007 WK 

I hate to say it, but if someone is driving fast enough in their driveway to do that much damage it's a good thing he wrecked his SRT. He would have killed himself out on the street.
07WKLtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 05:58 AM   #5
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Something smells here.......
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #6
PropDr
2006 WK 

Sounds like a typical ‘Sudden Acceleration’ problem
“But Officer I was pushing the brake pedal all the way to the floor and it just got faster and faster”

Any parts for sale?
PropDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #7
haumana
kickin' it in the VOG!

2000 WJ 

I'll see if I can get some pics later. He covered the SRT with a cover so that he didn't make himself all sick while go comes and goes from the house.

If he has spare parts I'll let you know.

Unread 02-10-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
PropDr
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by haumana View Post
I'll see if I can get some pics later. He covered the SRT with a cover so that he didn't make himself all sick while go comes and goes from the house.

If he has spare parts I'll let you know.
Thanks, where is the rainy Paradise?
06 WK 5.7, No Badges,Gibson CatBack, BWoody CAI, Eibach Springs & upper Ball Joints; F/R ADDCO Bars w/BWoody links; SRT8 Bilsteins; SRT8 Wheels w/ F: 275/50/20, R: 305/20/45 Tires; Passport SRX; 6 Bosch HID's; SRT8 Engine Covers w/ 5.7L badge: Kicker Sys.
PropDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 04:37 PM   #9
haumana
kickin' it in the VOG!

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropDr View Post
Thanks, where is the rainy Paradise?
O'ahu, Hawai'i.

Although today the weather is playing nicely for the Pro-Bowl. Totally sold out, and the stadium's parking lot was completely fully by 8am ... The game didn't start till noon-ish. I think the weather allows us to make tailgating a pre-game ritual.

Unread 02-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #10
haumana
kickin' it in the VOG!

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec View Post
Hi
I have heard of air bags not going off not because of a fault just they where not needed to protect anyone. In your case this does seem that they should have, do you have any pictures. Was he wearing his seat belt as this will also affect deployment. The air bag module is a black box flight recorder so jeep can retrieve all the info of what the jeep was doing up to the crash and I am sure jeep will want to do this.
Regards,
Merlin
I'll post some pics of the wreckage as soon as I get them. He was wearing his seatbelt, and has the bruise across his neck and chest. The "inspector" flew in yesterday and started his investigation immediately. I thought he would be a certified mechanic, but he's not. He's just some joe-blow 3rd party investigator that the insurance companied hired - who knows what he'll find. Unfortunately since the air bag didn't deploy, he said that there is not usable data in the black box.

Do all WK have black boxes?

Does anyone know if any of the WK stuff is compatible with me WJ?

Unread 02-20-2008, 01:48 PM   #11
merlinTec

Hi
Ah yes think he maybe right it will only record up to air bag deployment. Better explained here http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_airbags.htm#PARAMETER has he contacted customer services I am sure jeep would want to look at it.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 02-20-2008, 01:52 PM   #12
haumana
kickin' it in the VOG!

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec View Post
Hi
Ah yes think he maybe right it will only record up to air bag deployment. Better explained here http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_airbags.htm#PARAMETER has he contacted customer services I am sure jeep would want to look at it.
Regards,
Merlin
I don't know if he's contacted Jeep yet, but I'm sure his insurance company probably has.

Question: when there is brake failure, is it possible for the brakes to start working again? or once it fails, the are never able to work again?

Unread 02-21-2008, 04:28 AM   #13
HurriJeff
2005 WK 

I think in the eyes of the insurance company, it would be impossible to say if the brakes were at fault if they work after the accident. If they mysteriously start working again for the investigator that will certainly not look good for the driver, but they will almost certainly pay the claim in any case.
With only 4k miles on it, its so unlikely that the brakes failed that I am sure there will be an in-depth investigation.

Is it possible for the brakes to fail and then start working again: I think so. Although, with the level of damage described... how can you say.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #10
Previous Jeeps:
1998 ZJ Special Edition 2wd- Traded
1991 XJ 2.8 2wd Sold
HurriJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 12:36 PM   #14
haumana
kickin' it in the VOG!

2000 WJ 

I'm not sure what the investigator will turn up, but whatever it is, I hope my neighbor is willing to share the results. My neighbor did tell me that there was some kind of recall for the brakes, but of course, he didn't get the notice until the day after his accident. Talk about irony.

I peeked into the interior again and was amazed that he was able to even exit the car on his own. The entire dash board was just slightly above knee level, and the bent steering wheel would've been pinching anyone's thighs.

Funny thing is that, it still starts like it a charm. At least my neighbor is taking it all in stride, and is all bent about the situation ... although that could just be the pain killers talking.

Makes me want to run out and trade my WJ for a WK so I can swap the interior for his. I really like those SRT seats.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.