2007 JGC CRD 3.0 died on highway - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2007 JGC CRD 3.0 died on highway

Black Rhino Off Road Wheels + Free ShippingThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-17-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
JeepAVM

2007 JGC CRD 3.0 died on highway

Hi,

My 2007 GC CRD 3.0 (8000 km) died to today while I was going about 100 km per hour speed on a highway at night. Just out of the blue a few warning lights came on and the engine had completely died. I coasted to the side of the road. No restart was possible, I turned the key, the engine tried turning over and then gave up. It just said some message about 4wd something after trying to restart. The engine warning light and another light ( the /z/ symbol - the lightning symbol between the two bars - don't have my manual with me, it is with the tow guy, so I don't know what it is called). ). Then after 30 minutes I could turn it on but the engine warning light remained on. It died again after about 200 m driving very slow (I was trying to get off the road better). Again would not restart for another 30 minutes. Then it was restarted to drive on the tow truck that I called.

This was not a good situation to be in, close to a lot of heavy traffic at night with a dead car. The GC is less than a year old and has been driving great. I did the ABS update a week ago at the dealer.

Anyone with a similar problem?

I was driving to have a nice dinner with my wife with our young kids at home with a sitter. First time in about 3 years. And we did not even get there! Also, my cell phone was nearly dead. Just enough time to call friends.
Lessons learnt.

I love my Jeep but I need it to be reliable, and now I hope I can trust it when I take my young kids into the mountain. What if this happens when I am very remote.

Thanks for any advice!

JeepAVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
merlinTec

Hi
Two things to look for, first one I think will be your fault is this one http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_0900407.pdf crankshaft sensor. The second is a flash for the ECM for no cold start / hard start warm but the link on wkjeeps don’t work TSB number 18-006-08.
Don’t be discouraged with the GC it’s a lovely motor.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 02-17-2008, 11:40 PM   #3
array

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec View Post
Hi
Two things to look for, first one I think will be your fault is this one http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_0900407.pdf crankshaft sensor. The second is a flash for the ECM for no cold start / hard start warm but the link on wkjeeps don’t work TSB number 18-006-08.
Don’t be discouraged with the GC it’s a lovely motor.
Regards,
Merlin
what happened after motor dying? i mean, you had still any speed, and probably the tranny stayed in D. did the car just coast?
www.cardomain.com/id/array
array is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
JeepAVM

Quote:
Originally Posted by array View Post
what happened after motor dying? i mean, you had still any speed, and probably the tranny stayed in D. did the car just coast?
Yes, it just coasted in D. I called the dealer today. He said that apparently the RPM signal (or sensor) died and so the car turned off as the engine has no idea what RPM it is doing...
Hmm....he also said there were a host of other errors when checking the computer but he said they were probably downstream of the initial fault. They will replace the sensor and then test drive it tomorrow. Does this sound likely?

When the engine switched off yesterday, the warning lights came on and I could coast to a halt. I could put it in park. But i could not put it back into N or D after that. Only when the engine was turning over while I was trying to start it but it did not fire up. Then after 20 minutes rest, I could actually start it and idle and drive a very slow speed for a few yards, then it turned off again.

I love the Jeep I just hope I don't have a lemon.
Unread 02-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
sbcjeep
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepAVM View Post
Yes, it just coasted in D. I called the dealer today. He said that apparently the RPM signal (or sensor) died and so the car turned off as the engine has no idea what RPM it is doing...
Hmm....he also said there were a host of other errors when checking the computer but he said they were probably downstream of the initial fault. They will replace the sensor and then test drive it tomorrow. Does this sound likely?

When the engine switched off yesterday, the warning lights came on and I could coast to a halt. I could put it in park. But i could not put it back into N or D after that. Only when the engine was turning over while I was trying to start it but it did not fire up. Then after 20 minutes rest, I could actually start it and idle and drive a very slow speed for a few yards, then it turned off again.

I love the Jeep I just hope I don't have a lemon.
Yep, see Merlin's earlier post with the TSB regarding the crankshaft sensor (your tech called it an RPM sensor which isn't totally accurate).

Evidently Jeep knows there is a problem. If it is failing while vehicles are on the highway, it should be a recall to replace the defective parts and keep the owners safe.
sbcjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2008, 01:49 PM   #6
2007GrandDiesel
2007 WK 

I am interested to see how this unfolds, please keep us posted. 4 trips to the dealers have never isolated or resolved my stalling problem.
2007GrandDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2008, 02:17 PM   #7
merlinTec

Hi
Don’t worry about you having a lemon, it would have flagged loads of other fault codes in other modules with implausible data received from PCM but these will clear and not return.
I would ask them to update the software in the ECM at the same time (other TSB I posted). I always like software at the latest level. It is an hours labour to do it so call and ask if they will. You have to recode the injectors after the flash and lots of dealer have trouble doing it (don’t know why) so if they are going to do it get them record the injector valves that are stored in the ECM first before they flash it so they know what to program back in after.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 02-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #8
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

you would think jeep would have figured out the crankshaft position sensor problem by now...I had the same problem in my 1999 TJ! Why are we still having the same issues in 2007 models!
Unread 02-18-2008, 05:11 PM   #9
merlinTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniebravo View Post
you would think jeep would have figured out the crankshaft position sensor problem by now...I had the same problem in my 1999 TJ! Why are we still having the same issues in 2007 models!
Hi
Donít forget this is a diesel so itís a merc fault not a jeep fault.
Unread 02-19-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
JeepAVM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007GrandDiesel View Post
I am interested to see how this unfolds, please keep us posted. 4 trips to the dealers have never isolated or resolved my stalling problem.
I picked up the GC today. They said they changed the "rpm" sensor (I suppose this is the crankshaft sensor - they use a german name in Switzerland) and then they said that they "rebooted the computer and wiped all the other remaining errors. They then took it for a test drive and checked for any errors and there were none.
It drove fine going home, but I just hope they go the real culprit. I would like to think that my Jeep is as tough at I thought it was before the incident.

The thing that I find strange though is that when the engine cut, I initially could not turn it on and the /z/ symbol was still on with the engine warning sign. But after waiting for 20 minutes with the engine off I could again start it with only the engine warning on, the other turned off, just to come on and kill the engine again but only after a few minutes. Why this difference after waiting for 20 minutes? If the sensor is dead, should it not be dead for good?

Another question: Where can I get a good technical manual on the WK 3.0 CRD (i think I have the export version WH)?

Thanks for everyone's advice!
Unread 02-19-2008, 02:37 PM   #11
merlinTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepAVM View Post
I picked up the GC today. They said they changed the "rpm" sensor (I suppose this is the crankshaft sensor - they use a german name in Switzerland) and then they said that they "rebooted the computer and wiped all the other remaining errors. They then took it for a test drive and checked for any errors and there were none.
It drove fine going home, but I just hope they go the real culprit. I would like to think that my Jeep is as tough at I thought it was before the incident.

The thing that I find strange though is that when the engine cut, I initially could not turn it on and the /z/ symbol was still on with the engine warning sign. But after waiting for 20 minutes with the engine off I could again start it with only the engine warning on, the other turned off, just to come on and kill the engine again but only after a few minutes. Why this difference after waiting for 20 minutes? If the sensor is dead, should it not be dead for good?

Another question: Where can I get a good technical manual on the WK 3.0 CRD (i think I have the export version WH)?

Thanks for everyone's advice!
Hi
The sensor was dead because it got hot thatís why it only played up on you on a long run. 20 minutes it cooled down then you could start it.
Got one in today same fault as yours died on the motorway. He called the AA by the time they got there it started so they cleared the code and towed him to me. Why he cleared the codes p*** me off. Luckily he couldnít clear all the codes (only the ECM codes) so I got a screen shot to show you all why other lights flashed up with faults. I didnít want to have to road test it till it broke down again on me to get the codes back and do my tests.
FDCM = service 4WD, ABS = service electronic brake. Messages in the display
Regards,
Merlin
cranksensorfault.jpg  
Unread 02-20-2008, 12:55 PM   #12
JeepAVM

Same problem as ML320 CDI RECALL!!??

Quote:
Hi
Got one in today same fault as yours died on the motorway. ....
Regards,
Merlin
I looked for crankshaft sensor problems in the Mercedes ML320 class which to my knowledge shares the same CRD 3.0 Diesel engine as the Jeep GC 3.0 CRD.
They are recalling ML320s of 2007 for exactly this problem:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/19/m...dels/#comments

"Mercedes sold over twelve-thousand diesel-powered vehicles in the US last year, but a crankshaft issue is sending 9,004 units back to the dealer for repair. NHTSA says the problem lies in a crankshaft sensor that can fail, which causes the engine to lose power and makes you the "disabled vehicle" the traffic reporter on the radio warns your fellow commuters about. That won't do. The recall affects 2007 E320 Bluetec, ML320 CDI, and GL320 CDI models. Since the sensor defect could leave drivers stranded, we're going to go ahead and recommend that you get this one fixed right away. We're still bullish on diesel, however, because high fuel economy and gobs of torque are a wonderful combo."

Could it be that also the Jeep 3.0 CRD Diesel has the same problem but because Daimler and Chrysler split, Chrysler is keeping it quiet about it? Or is there also a recall for the Jeep now?

Thanks, Merlin, for all your info!

JeepAVM
Unread 02-20-2008, 01:34 PM   #13
merlinTec

Hi
There is no recall for this yet. The local Mercedes dealer is just down the road from me I will go ask then if the recall is in the UK as well and get a print out of it. If this is out in the UK I will bring it up in my 6 monthly Jeep technical partnership meeting in April.
Thanks for the heads up.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 02-21-2008, 04:37 AM   #14
2007GrandDiesel
2007 WK 

Thanks for posting that JeepAVM! That is great information!
2007GrandDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #15
JeepAVM

Quote:
Hi
There is no recall for this yet. The local Mercedes dealer is just down the road from me I will go ask then if the recall is in the UK as well and get a print out of it. If this is out in the UK I will bring it up in my 6 monthly Jeep technical partnership meeting in April.
Thanks for the heads up.
Regards,
Merlin
Thanks for your help.
One more thing:
How do I know that they replaced my sensor with one that won't fail in future. I mean, was it a faulty or poorly assembled sensor to start with which is now exchanged with a good one, or is it due to for example a poor sensor location in this engine that it gets more strain/heat than it should and wears out quickly i.e. am I likely to have this new sensor wear out again in another 8000 km? Or is a new sensor then likely to last for another 100000 km?
How would I know that my dealer did not install one of the old sensors that is just as faulty as the first one.

Don't mean to sound paranoid, it is just that I need to keep my family convinced that my GC is a great reliable SUV. Because driving it again after getting it back from the dealer always immediately puts a smile on my face.

Cheers,

JeepAVM

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.