2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Stalling Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Stalling Problem

Steinjager TJ tube doorsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!JK Rear Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 01-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
charlesrshell
2007 WK 

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Stalling Problem

Started having stall issues with my 5.7 Hemi Jeep Grand Cherokee with 34,700 miles. Stalled on my wife three times with no check engine light. Dealership had it for a week and said it had a P0884 code. They could not duplicate the problem and re-programed the PCM. Got it home and it started to stall again the following day with the check engine light on. Dealership cleared the P0884 code again and while troubleshooting they tapped on the PCM and the engine stalled. They removed and replaced the PCM. The next day it stalled on me five times. At the dealership while the service writer was sitting in the car writing up the service ticket it started to stall but it recovered and kept running. The technician started to leave the shop for a test drive and it stalled. Car has been at the dealership for over a week now and it has not stalled anymore and no codes. The service writer says they have been in contact with engineers and still don't know what is wrong. I have read in another thread that changing the throttle position and throttle body sensors will fix the problem. Dealership says both these sensors are not putting out any codes.

Anybody have any thoughts or know what might fix this stalling problem? The dealership tells me the computer is not putting out any codes. They are driving it home after work with the scanner connected up and in flight mode or something like that to troubleshoot and still no codes. I do not want to drive this car anymore till it is repaired. Thanks for any help.

charlesrshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesrshell View Post
Started having stall issues with my 5.7 Hemi Jeep Grand Cherokee with 34,700 miles....no check engine light..... P0884 code....re-programed the PCM.....while troubleshooting they tapped on the PCM and the engine stalled.... it started to stall but it recovered and kept running..... I have read in another thread that changing the throttle position and throttle body sensors will fix the problem. Dealership says both these sensors are not putting out any codes.

Anybody have any thoughts or know what might fix this stalling problem?
Tell the dealer to change your EGR valve and MAP sensor. Then you clean out the back side of the throttle body (or have the dealer replace it (but it's probably just dirty).

Recommend you read through this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/c...g-down-253493/
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
charlesrshell
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Tell the dealer to change your EGR valve and MAP sensor. Then you clean out the back side of the throttle body (or have the dealer replace it (but it's probably just dirty).

Recommend you read through this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/c...g-down-253493/
Thanks Walt. I will call the dealership Monday see what I can do. They will probably tell me they need codes first in order for the extended insurance to cover it.
Unread 01-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
elbuencharie
2005 WK 

Also replace your PCV valve ($50 part) and your spark plugs with stock copper champions. They are both due anyway if they haven't been replaced.
elbuencharie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbuencharie View Post
Also replace your PCV valve ($50 part) and your spark plugs with stock copper champions. They are both due anyway if they haven't been replaced.
Check the PCV valve; it's not due until 60K miles. Mine is still OK at 55K miles.

Recommend you do only 1 or 2 things at a time to determine what caused the problem.

It's an uphill fight on these 2 components (MAP Sensor & EGR valve). No code on StarScan = no problem (irrespective of how bad the Jeep is running). What happened to effective automotive diagnostics without that $#@&* computer?
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Unread 01-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
charlesrshell
2007 WK 

Dealership called me today. They have been driving the car with scanner hooked up. They got a code today, not sure what it was. Anyway, they are changing the transmission valve body or something like that and car will be ready tomorrow. I will post back after I have the car back on what code and the exact part they changed. I hope this fixes it. Time will tell. I have a new scanner tool now (OTC 3111) and if it happens again I will do some checking in flight mode.
Unread 01-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
charlesrshell
2007 WK 

Quote:
Dealership called me today. They have been driving the car with scanner hooked up. They got a code today, not sure what it was. Anyway, they are changing the transmission valve body or something like that and car will be ready tomorrow. I will post back after I have the car back on what code and the exact part they changed. I hope this fixes it. Time will tell. I have a new scanner tool now (OTC 3111) and if it happens again I will do some checking in flight mode.
Sorry I haven't posted sooner, but do not have much good news yet. After the transmission valve body was changed the dealership tested the car the next day to make sure it was fixed and it stalled. Several days later they called me and said the spark plugs that I had installed a couple thousand miles ago are platinum and they are suppose to be copper in this Hemi engine. The Jeep engineers said that might be the problem. So I told them to put the dam copper plugs in. The plugs were changed and guess what! It stalled again. Now the engineers want all eight coils changed. They are on order and suppose to be in Monday. Will post an update next week.
Unread 01-15-2011, 06:48 AM   #8
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
....not...much good news yet. .....Several days later they called me and said the spark plugs that I had installed a couple thousand miles ago are platinum and they are suppose to be copper in this Hemi engine. The Jeep engineers said that might be the problem.....The plugs were changed and ...It stalled again. Now the engineers want all eight coils changed. They are on order and supposed to be in Monday. Will post an update next week.
The platinum (-or- platinum tip) spark plugs are a no-no on the 5.7L HEMI. Use only MOPAR OEM or Champion 570's; change every 30K miles. Interestingly, the 6.1L HEMI comes from the assembly plant with platinum plugs installed (I believe). Changing them will not hurt the situation.

Here we go with cut-and-try again. Go back to my 01-01-11 post. I used the argument, "You cannot determine what is wrong, so try my recommendation now. It's unfortunate that Chrysler produced a vehicle that you cannot diagnose and repair. However, I want my Jeep fixed and returned promptly."

Have already told the dealer's salesman, owner, and service manager that my Jeep has cost them at least 5 new car sales thus far.
Unread 01-15-2011, 06:51 AM   #9
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
The platinum (-or- platinum tip) spark plugs are a no-no on the 5.7L HEMI. Use only MOPAR OEM or Champion 570's; change every 30K miles. Interestingly, the 6.1L HEMI comes from the assembly plant with platinum plugs installed (I believe). Changing them will not hurt the situation.

Here we go with cut-and-try again. Go back to my 01-01-11 post. I used the argument, "You cannot determine what is wrong, so try my recommendation now. It's unfortunate that Chrysler produced a vehicle that you cannot diagnose and repair. However, I want my Jeep fixed and returned promptly."

Have already told the dealer's salesman, owner, and service manager that my Jeep has cost them at least 5 new car sales thus far.
oooohh.... I like this.. that'll stub some toes. I probably wouldn't say that unless I was absolutely done with them, though. lol.
Unread 01-15-2011, 07:08 AM   #10
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_WK View Post
I probably wouldn't say that unless I was absolutely done with them, though. lol.
Yeah....you gotta sugar-coat it. Did it with a matter-of-fact statement. I started at 30K miles and we're at 57K miles now and still not repaired (MDS failed yesterday).

Not sure of your background, but I have a ldecent history of internal combustion engine diagnosis, repair, and operation behind me. I bought the '08 WK FSM and would provide suggested sections to consult for diagnostic help.

Actually offered to replace the parts myself if they were unable or unwilling to do so, however, if you agree to this, you cannot claim voided arranty after that
Unread 01-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
charlesrshell
2007 WK 

Quote:

Walt, what kinda issues were you having with your HEMI that changing the EGR valve and MAP sensor fixed it? My HEMI runs great, no sputter, has smooth idle, great power, etc. The engine all of a sudden just quits as if it lost spark or the key was turned off. It happens driving under power, coasting, turning, or just sitting there idleing. It starts up immediately and runs great till the next episode.

Wonder why the HEMI does not like platinum spark plugs. The mechanic at the shop that put them in called the Chrysler mechanics hot line or something like that and they said it would be OK. It is also in the Champion web site as a replacement over the copper plugs. I authorized the dealership to put the copper plugs in at my expense. Did no good, the engine still quits. Do you think I should leave them installed or have the platinums put back in?

Do you know if the PCM monitors any of the fuel system components? Is there like a relay of some kind that shuts the engine down if there is a fuel problem?

I hope changing all the coils will fix the problem. They are due in tomorrow. I just donít understand how all the coils or spark plugs could cause this type of problem. I can understand it if the engine sputters or misses but not just shut down as if the key was turned off.

I am thinking there might be an electrical harness shorting out someplace or a module going bad. Thanks for all your help Walt.
Unread 01-16-2011, 06:12 PM   #12
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Walt, what kinda issues were you having with your HEMI that changing the EGR valve and MAP sensor fixed it? My HEMI runs great, no sputter, has smooth idle, great power, etc. The engine all of a sudden just quits as if it lost spark or the key was turned off. It happens driving under power, coasting, turning, or just sitting there idleing. It starts up immediately and runs great till the next episode.

Wonder why the HEMI does not like platinum spark plugs. The mechanic at the shop that put them in called the Chrysler mechanics hot line or something like that and they said it would be OK. It is also in the Champion web site as a replacement over the copper plugs. I authorized the dealership to put the copper plugs in at my expense. Did no good, the engine still quits. Do you think I should leave them installed or have the platinums put back in?

Do you know if the PCM monitors any of the fuel system components? Is there like a relay of some kind that shuts the engine down if there is a fuel problem?

I hope changing all the coils will fix the problem. They are due in tomorrow. I just donít understand how all the coils or spark plugs could cause this type of problem. I can understand it if the engine sputters or misses but not just shut down as if the key was turned off.

I am thinking there might be an electrical harness shorting out someplace or a module going bad. Thanks for all your help Walt.
Let me reiterate by stating I have not had stalling problems. However, I'm still having MDS fail problems at 55K miles and dealer is baffled.

I would leave the platinum spark plugs in. I know what Champion says, but that is generic and not specific to the 5.7L HEMI application. Got the same response from AdvanceAuto. It is not the spark plug that is the problem; it is the performance of this particular plug in this particular engine. Better specific info on this forum than at the parts store where they handle thousands of cars & models.

Mine would languish and generally lose power, then MDS stopped operating. Would re-set itself after shutting engine down. At times, the mpg's were way down. It was all very unpredictable. I went through everything I could find and the dealer could get any substantiating DTC's.
First, the EGR valve replacement caused it to perform better and more consistently. Secondly, when mpg's were down, the dealer's service manager & I concluded that the MAP sensor is a primary input to setting the stoichiometric fuel-air ratio. Thus, it may not be bad enough to generate a code, but still not be reading intake manifold pressure or atmospheric pressure correctly.

PCM actually controls the primary side of the coils, but I find it strange that all would fail. [On older cars, the ignition rotor cam and points did this.] If Chrysler is willing to replace them, take it. Merlintec has mentioned that the ignition switch module going bad sometimes causes these problems. Ask the dealer to look specifically there. PCM also looks at fuel pressure, among other inputs.
Unread 01-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #13
charlesrshell
2007 WK 

Quote:
Let me reiterate by stating I have not had stalling problems. However, I'm still having MDS fail problems at 55K miles and dealer is baffled.

I would leave the platinum spark plugs in. I know what Champion says, but that is generic and not specific to the 5.7L HEMI application. Got the same response from AdvanceAuto. It is not the spark plug that is the problem; it is the performance of this particular plug in this particular engine. Better specific info on this forum than at the parts store where they handle thousands of cars & models.

Mine would languish and generally lose power, then MDS stopped operating. Would re-set itself after shutting engine down. At times, the mpg's were way down. It was all very unpredictable. I went through everything I could find and the dealer could get any substantiating DTC's.
First, the EGR valve replacement caused it to perform better and more consistently. Secondly, when mpg's were down, the dealer's service manager & I concluded that the MAP sensor is a primary input to setting the stoichiometric fuel-air ratio. Thus, it may not be bad enough to generate a code, but still not be reading intake manifold pressure or atmospheric pressure correctly.

PCM actually controls the primary side of the coils, but I find it strange that all would fail. [On older cars, the ignition rotor cam and points did this.] If Chrysler is willing to replace them, take it. Merlintec has mentioned that the ignition switch module going bad sometimes causes these problems. Ask the dealer to look specifically there. PCM also looks at fuel pressure, among other inputs.
Do you mean leave the copper plugs installed? As far as I know they have not put the platinum plugs back in. I will mention the ignition switch module to them the next time we talk. Thanks again for your help.
Unread 01-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #14
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Do you mean leave the copper plugs installed? As far as I know they have not put the platinum plugs back in. I will mention the ignition switch module to them the next time we talk. Thanks again for your help.
Correct. Leave the copper core plugs in the engine.

Several other forum members have reported that platinum or platinum-tipped spark plugs were the proximate cause of their HEMI's stalling problems. Now that your platinum plugs are out, leave them out.

Next spark plug change on your HEMI is 30K miles from now.

Please keep us informed, so we all learn.
Unread 01-17-2011, 06:29 AM   #15
charlesrshell
2007 WK 

Quote:
Correct. Leave the copper core plugs in the engine.

Several other forum members have reported that platinum or platinum-tipped spark plugs were the proximate cause of their HEMI's stalling problems. Now that your platinum plugs are out, leave them out.

Next spark plug change on your HEMI is 30K miles from now.

Please keep us informed, so we all learn.
OK, I will leave the copper plugs installed. Since the platinum plugs were not causing the issue maybe they will give me a price break since they were just installed two thousand miles ago. Do you think the MAP sensor could cause this type of stall problem I am having? Engine just does a sudden shutdown, no sputtering. I would think the EGR valve or the throttle position/valve body sensors would cause a sudden shut down. It shuts down while just sitting there in idle. What do you think?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.