2007 Grand Cherokee WK - how to install an electric brake controller from sketch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2007 Grand Cherokee WK - how to install an electric brake controller from sketch

Labor Day Sale at UCF!Gibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread Yesterday, 12:14 AM   #1
kk52736
2007 WK 

I just installed an electric brake controller on my 2007 Grand Cherokee Overland WK with tow package BUT without factory brake controller plug.

I just bought a very good price used Tekonsha P2 brake controller to be occasionally use for towing my 26' travel trailer.
I am putting the controller in the hole beside the left steering wheel. Put away in glove box when not in use.

Items needed
-pigtail wire harness originally comes with the brake controller
-5 feet insulated 14 guage 2 wires inside
-auto reset automotive 30amp circuits breaker
-some clips and end to connect wires
-pliers, cutter, screw driver...etc

forumrunner_20150826_235048.jpg
Cut a hole to fit the harness end

forumrunner_20150826_235055.jpg
Different view

Attachment 2350226
Open the kick panel, swing all the way down to take it off, unscrew the 2 screws on the corner of the black panel under the kick panel right above the brake and gas pedals

forumrunner_20150826_235108.jpg
Find the green wire which is for the trailer brake, it is hidden on the left very high bundle up with a huge wire harness, you can just put your hand right behind the fuse panel near the firewall and there is a wire loop around there, just pull the loop to find the end. Connect that to the blue wire on the controller harness for trailer brake.

forumrunner_20150826_235116.jpg
Connect the red wire from the controller harness to the jeep's brake light signal, the plug is right above the brake pedal, not the one in the front, there is another flat plug with 6 wires higher on the right more to the back or behind the pedal arm, the 2nd wire on the right (white with tan)

forumrunner_20150826_235126.jpg
Feed the 12v power and ground through firewall, there is an extra firewall entrance with a rubber cap right behind the engine on the right side; when look from the inside, it is right above the gas pedal.
White to the white on the controller harness for ground.
Black to the black on the controller harness for 12v power.

forumrunner_20150826_235132.jpg
Attach the white wire to the battery negative. And remove the whole negative terminal to work on the battery now.
Cut the black somewhere between the firewall and battery to put the circuits breaker then attach to the positive battery.
Double check all wires, and reconnect the negative battery.

forumrunner_20150826_235139.jpg
Reverse all the steps to install panels back, and feed the plug through the hole on the left pocket.

forumrunner_20150826_235146.jpg
Plug in the brake controller, hola! Nice install, working great.

forumrunner_20150826_235152.jpg
Better view

forumrunner_20150826_235158.jpg

forumrunner_20150826_235102.jpg  
Unread Yesterday, 01:20 PM   #2
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Nice write up, I have mine sitting here ready for install
Unread Yesterday, 06:12 PM   #3
kk52736
2007 WK 

Let me know if you need help, the green wire is little stubborn hidden bundled with other harness, took me 2 hrs to find that, but only took 1 hr to install everything after
Unread Yesterday, 06:38 PM   #4
TangoTango
2008 WK 

Nice write up.

One question ... that white wire can just ground to any body part instead of the battery can't it?
Black WK Club #147

Life is hard. ...- John Wayne
TangoTango is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 06:55 PM   #5
kk52736
2007 WK 

According to the instruction manual from the brake controller, 12v power must connect directly to the battery positive, and the ground directly to the battery negative, and I WON'T be lazy and risk your life that the trailer has no brake if any connection error, that's why the instruction also said only use a "Auto Reset circuits breaker" and NOT fuse.
And because you already wire the black to the battery anyway, not much more work to tap the white ground wire to the battery negative
Unread Yesterday, 07:27 PM   #6
TangoTango
2008 WK 

I have to do mine which is why I was asking.....

What auto reset automotive 30amp circuits breaker did you go with? You have a part # ?
Black WK Club #147

Life is hard. ...- John Wayne
TangoTango is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 08:00 PM   #7
kk52736
2007 WK 

There is no part number for the breaker, its just a generic automotive circuit breaker 30amp I used

images-2-.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.