2007 Grand Cherokee Lurches forward when put in DRIVE - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2007 Grand Cherokee Lurches forward when put in DRIVE

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
Natemare13
2007 WK 

2007 Grand Cherokee Lurches forward when put in DRIVE

Hi,

I'm having an interesting problem. When I put the car into drive, the car sometimes lurches forward for a second like it "kicking in" sometimes its VERY violent and sometimes it doesn't happen at all. I keep my foot on the brake and whether or not Im pressing down hard or softly, the same issue occurs. The engine temp doesnt really matter, it will do it when it wants to really I cannot find a corrolation between useage and when it does it. it does it when its warm and when its cold (but more so and more violently when it's cold).

I warm the car up before I drive it all the time, I dont slam it into drive the moment I start it up. I also do not slam it into drive when I'm rolling. I stop COMPLETELY before going from reverse to drive.

Anyone have this problem too on this car or any other car? Again, the intensity is random and there are indeed times in which it shifts perfectly smoothly from Reverse to drive (or park to drive).

The car also seems to lurch forward from 1st gear to second gear. This happens whenever the car lurches going into drive too. It's intensity too is random.

thoughts and previous experiences?

Natemare13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
BlueSteelJP
2005 WK 

How does the RPM guage look when the lurching is happening?
Blue WK Club Member #10

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.7 Liter Hemi no Mods So Far.
BlueSteelJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
Natemare13
2007 WK 

The RPMs do not look like they are high - its steady at 500-600 rpm (depending, not fluctuating). the vehicle does not lurch when going into reverse (ever) but when going into Drive it gives a bump.
Unread 06-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
Nand12

Well the easiest thing to start with is your tranny fluid level. Since you have the 545RFE (which by the way is one of the most reliable transmissions in Chrysler products), you have a dipstick so you can check the fluid level. Here's the procedure: http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_maintenance.htm#TRANS

If the fluid looks good (not burnt/brown) and the level is correct, your best bet is to take it to a stealership because you're under warranty. Is your check engine light on and are there any other issues with the tranny when you're driving? I feel that your transmission fluid level is probably low because harsh shifts are usually caused by incorrect line pressure. If you find that your fluid is low, check for leaks around the transmission pan gasket and the cooler lines going to the radiator because these are the most common areas where the 545RFE leaks.
Nand12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
Natemare13
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nand12 View Post
Well the easiest thing to start with is your tranny fluid level. Since you have the 545RFE (which by the way is one of the most reliable transmissions in Chrysler products), you have a dipstick so you can check the fluid level. Here's the procedure: http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_maintenance.htm#TRANS

If the fluid looks good (not burnt/brown) and the level is correct, your best bet is to take it to a stealership because you're under warranty. Is your check engine light on and are there any other issues with the tranny when you're driving? I feel that your transmission fluid level is probably low because harsh shifts are usually caused by incorrect line pressure. If you find that your fluid is low, check for leaks around the transmission pan gasket and the cooler lines going to the radiator because these are the most common areas where the 545RFE leaks.

Thanks I'll check the level but last time I checked (about 2 weeks ago) it was fine (I checked it because of this issue).
Unread 06-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
Nand12

If your fluid is fine, there is also one other possibility other than the tranny which is your driveshaft u-joints. There have been several cases of u-joint failure on WK's and a bad u-joint can cause a lurch (some people report that it feels like being hit from behind by another car) when shifting gears and accelerating/coming to a stop. The u-joints on WK driveshafts are non-serviceable so if this is the case, you'll probably get a new driveshaft for free through warranty.
Unread 06-22-2009, 11:36 AM   #7
Natemare13
2007 WK 

car is going in for 30K service soon anyway - what should I say in order to get their attention regarding the lurching forward and possibility of u-joint failure? I dont want them to come back saying "We could not reproduce the issue" if the car magically acts nicely for them (because its fairly random for me but it happens more often than not).

What verbiage would get their attention to look into this if they dont feel a lurch anything else I can say that would make them check this part?
Unread 06-22-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
Nand12

Describe the problem exactly as you did in your first post and be specific regarding operating conditions (temperature outside, is the vehicle warmed up, is this the first start of the day, etc.). Let them know that the issue is intermittent and that there is a possibility that they won't be able to duplicate it, but check for play/binding in the driveline anyways (and also check transmission). Also let them know that you're a member of this forum and that there have been similar issues going on with other members' vehicles (just going out on a limb here, but it gives the dealer one fewer opportunity to come up with an excuse to get you out of their hair) and these are the suggested causes/fixes, etc. If they know you're knowledgeable about the vehicle and common problems, they will be less likely to give you the typical runaround bs (i.e. "That's a normal characteristic of this vehicle").
Unread 06-22-2009, 02:05 PM   #9
onlyone
2014 JK Wrangler 

Mine has done that a few times in reverse. I'll put it in reverse and everything seems fine, then it kinda lurches like I put it in reverse again. It's only happened maybe twice. I now have 15 k on it. Kinda weird. It also sometimes has a clink every once and a while when I take of in the morning when it shifts into second. I never really worry about it because the transmission works great. I already know what the dealer will say.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.