2007 Grand Cherokee Intermittent Starting Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2007 Grand Cherokee Intermittent Starting Issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-13-2013, 05:56 AM   #1
07cherokee55

2007 Grand Cherokee Intermittent Starting Issues

I have a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee - just purchased it in December. First time it left me stranded was about a month ago. Wouldnt start, "transmission over temp" flashed. My son jiggled something in the fuse box and it started. Three weeks later, same thing, same transmission over temp flashed, wouldnt start for several hours. Let it sit overnight and it started. I took it to my mechanic who has been trying to repeat the problem for about a week. I called the dealer where I purchased it, who referred me to the jeep dealer they do business with in Annapolis. I called the jeep dealer, the service manager told me that the "transmission over temp" will ALWAYS flash for a split second when the vehicle won't start. I'm bringing the jeep in to his shop Monday morning. He said that it is his belief that the wiring to the solenoid / starter is most likely the issue. I asked him if it was the wiring what am I looking at in terms of cost - $400-$500 - which seems steep. Has anyone on this blog resolved their problem? If so, how? Any help is most appreciated!

07cherokee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 06:01 AM   #2
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07cherokee55 View Post
I have a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee - just purchased it in December. First time it left me stranded was about a month ago. Wouldnt start, "transmission over temp" flashed. My son jiggled something in the fuse box and it started. Three weeks later, same thing, same transmission over temp flashed, wouldnt start for several hours. Let it sit overnight and it started. I took it to my mechanic who has been trying to repeat the problem for about a week. I called the dealer where I purchased it, who referred me to the jeep dealer they do business with in Annapolis. I called the jeep dealer, the service manager told me that the "transmission over temp" will ALWAYS flash for a split second when the vehicle won't start. I'm bringing the jeep in to his shop Monday morning. He said that it is his belief that the wiring to the solenoid / starter is most likely the issue. I asked him if it was the wiring what am I looking at in terms of cost - $400-$500 - which seems steep. Has anyone on this blog resolved their problem? If so, how? Any help is most appreciated!
We can probably offer better areas to check if you could post eng/xmission on your Heep. Filling out your profile is another option.

Today, you can do 3 things:
1. Disconnect the battery leads and clean them with a wire brush, if they are corroded.
2. While the battery leads are disconnected, check the 2 leads to your starter motor. The smaller yellow lead to the solenoid has been known to corrode on the 5.7L HEMI's and cause intermittent starting problems. Not sure about other engines.
3. If battery age is unknown, go to Sears and get a Battery Capacity Test. Battery voltage with engine stopped should be 12.5-13.2V and running 13.8-14.2V. Capacity test is different.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
covellie

Starting issue 2007 grand cherokee laredo

I had the same issue off and on for the past month and thought it was the key losing its programming. Yesterday I got stranded at work and one of my buddies who is a wiz with cars (I only know how to drive em) jacked it up and had it going in 1 minute flat.
It was corrosion in a terminal that runs off of the starter. He said it was in an impossible location to fully pull off and clean. The wire had a white plastic push latch on it that allows u to take it off of the prong when new. After the corrosion sets in....forget it!! He said to repair it permanently the drive shaft and a part if the exhaust system need to be moved. He just moved it around, cracked the corrosion and wire brushed it and Bingo...
Poor design for sure
covellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
JKM
2005 WK 

it's the yellow wire that goes to the solenoid. many have posted about it. search yellow wire. I offered a fix a while back that you simply use a common female blade terminal and some shrink tubing to make it weather proof and also use die-electric grease on everything while you're cleaning connections.
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.