2007 Grand Cherokee gas/brake pedal issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2007 Grand Cherokee gas/brake pedal issue

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
vucat13

2007 Grand Cherokee gas/brake pedal issue

I recently purchased a 2007 Grand Cherokee with about 50k miles.

The problem as I see it is the brake and gas pedals are more staggered than other vehicles, including Grand Cherokees, that I have driven. The brake pedal appears to be several inches higher than the gas pedal.

It can be difficult to quickly move my foot from the gas to the break. Further, the brake seems more tense than normal, and the gas seems to be softer than normal. It is also uncomfortable, as it feels like my foot is strained forward to accelerate the car to highway speeds, but then my knee is very close to the bottom of the steering column when my foot is on the gas.

I noticed this problem when I test drove the vehicle, but I thought I'd get used to it.

Mine is not one of the WK's that has adjustable pedals. I took it to a few shops, but they seem to say that is how it is. I have to think there is some other opition to fix the problem..

I'd like to somehow align the brake and gas, either by lowering the brake or raising the gas.

Any help is VERY much appreciated!

vucat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
cherrybomb05
2010 JK Wrangler 

Depending on your height, try adjusting your seat. Also the brakes -may- get better as the pads wear down
cherrybomb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
Rob 99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Wierd problem. Never heard of that being an issue. Are you sure you don't have adjustable pedals that are out of wack? If not, maybe you could build a pad to attach to one of the pedals to even them out a bit.

07' WK Silver 5.7 QD2, Bilsteins & front strut plates.
Rob 99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
vucat13

Thanks for the feedback -

I haven't been able to do anything with the seat, there is not a perfect position. I'm going to see if a custom shop can adjust the gas somehow or add a larger pad. A couple places I spoke to said they are not adjustable electronically like some other models, also going to see if some adjustment can be made to either one to even them out.

It is something I should have thought about more before I bought the car. Now if I can't get if fixed I am thinking about trying to sell it.
Unread 09-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
cherrybomb05
2010 JK Wrangler 

Look up the "srt8 pedal cover" or just any kind of pedal cover and see if you can put it on just one side to even it out.
cherrybomb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
onlyone
2014 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to the WK. I bought mine new and really disliked the seating in this jeep. I could never find a comfortable seating position. My WJ was so much more comfortable. Until now. After these years of owning it, the seats are quite nice and trying to drive my old WJ would bother me. It takes a while, but you'll get used to it. I cannot tell you when I started liking it, but I really enjoy it now. I thought the same about the pedals.
Unread 09-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
vucat13

Thanks for the help. Is it too much of a risk to try to get the gas pedal replaced or extended somehow?
Unread 09-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #8
Jeep Brian

I had the same problem with the way my 03 Ram was set up. I was able to disconnect the drive cable from the gas pedal motor and adjust the clutch and brake pedals together to get them where I wanted them in relation to the go pedal.

Hers: 14 Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi

68 Firebird 350 4 spd #'s matching
Jeep Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
FR4
2006 WK 

Have to agree with vuecat13!
I have a 2006 wk with adjustable pedals, and for the life of me, can't get a comfortable position. The offset between the brake and gas pedal is really bad. Going from the gas to the brake, I have to lift the foot more than with other vehicules I ever owned. I am looking into getting a non adjustable pedal combo, and modifying the brake pedal by cutting/welding it to change its depth.
As for the seat, seems that I can only get a comfortable position for the arms, or one for the legs, but never for both at the same time...
I am 6ft2.
My previous car was a '95 cherokee xj.
Has anyone done a seat mod that fixed the bad legs/arm ratio design of the wk?
FR4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.