Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2007 CRD vs 2008 5.7l

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  LJS8510 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Been lurking, doing research. Read most posts about the diesel, 08 changes, and hemi thoughts. I'm looking at an 08 hemi with 5.7l and qt2. Vs 07 CRD qd2. I'm looking for input on a few aspects. Both are limited and have nav. I like that the nav in 08 is still used today and a 2014 update is available. 08 also has remote start. Both essentially have 50k miles. All else being equal, is better mileage and better transfer case on 07 enough to outweigh creature comforts of the 08? Realistically, it not be used much offload, but I want best driving in snow/rain possible. All thoughts are welcome, thanks for your input.

#4 ·
I'd buy the CRD if I were you. Better mileage and diesel is usually cheaper than gas. Plus like you said you won't be offroading much so why really 'need' the Hemi if both have the same features you're looking for (nav...etc.)? I'd also check under both vehicles for rust damage and test drive it with the radio off to listen for bad bearings...etc. Something I wish I knew before purchasing my WK.

#5 ·
I have a 08 CRD with over 150,000 without any major issues.
The 08's have several very nice upgrades imo over the 07 http://www.wkjeeps.com/2008_standard.htm

The CRD's are few, as are their mechanics. some major issues, if I recall correctly at the factory some 07's had gas put into their tanks.

CRD's also cost more to maintain although mine has not needed much in 150,000 miles.
I also think the Hemi may have lifetime warranty...

Milage of CRD is better but not that much

QD is nicer than QT2

Tough call

#6 ·
Diesel isn't always cheaper than gas. Right now, it's the same price as regular unleaded, but it has been as much as 50¢/gallon higher. As for mileage, I normally get about 22 MPG with a mix of city and highway driving compared to somewhere in the mid-teens for a HEMI-powered WK.

Quadra-Drive II is your best option for driving in snow.

#7 ·
Gas and diesel prices fluctuate constantly depending on the time of year and global production (right now it's only $0.10 more expensive than regular unleaded but in the winter diesel often is more expensive than premium). The CRD will will get you at least 30% better mpg on average and up to 50% if you plan on doing any heavy hauling / towing (the CRD makes 376 ft lbs at 1800 rpm versus the Hemi's 375 ft lb at 3,200 rpm - that's almost twice the RPM to get to max effective workload). In the CRD expect to go at least a 1/3 of a tank more and up to 2x than the Hemi on the same amount of fuel in the tank. A $700 ECU reflash from GDE will get you 476 ft lbs of torque and another 2-3 mpg increase in the CRD.

Diesel is not for everyone as there are less fueling stations and at the big stations along the interstates it's harder to find the smaller nozzle (big rigs use the much wider nozzle to fill up). Often these pumps will not have a cc pay at the pump feature so you'll have to go inside first and leave a card. Often you'll get a different price for cash or credit as well.

If you want great acceleration - get the Hemi as gas engines are the equivalent of a 100 meter dash sprinter versus a marathoner with the CRD. If you want better braking then the CRD has killer engine braking as it's much higher compression.

Maintenance is a wash as you can go longer on intervals with the diesel but they oil changes are 2x more (as you have to use a 229.51 spec oil for the diesel particulate filter). Both engines have their quirks. If the CRD engine needs a repair it will cost more so educate yourself and find a local experience diesel mechanic (they are more rare - however with Jeep bringing back an Ecodiesel model it might get better for us).

#8 ·
The 2008 Hemi has maximum torque of 375 ft-lbs at 4,000 RPM.
The 2007 CRD has maximum torque of 376 lb.-ft. torque @ 1600-2800 rpm

I'd guess that the CRD is just as fast from 0-40 or 0-50 as the hemi.

Things must be different in the Midwest as the only time I tried to fill up and the only nozzles were the larger size was a filling station along an interstate highway in Iowa.

#9 ·
What is the price of the CRD and the Hemi? I bought a 2008 GC Limited Hemi last summer and I thought about a CRD (I already have a VW TDI as my daily driver). There were not as many diesel GC's around and the price difference was enough to sway me into the Hemi. Haven't been disappointed at all. The Jeep is an extra vehicle and is driven less than 8,000 miles a year. While the gas mileage around town sucks with teh Hemi, I can easily get 18-19 mpg on the highway even with my heavy foot.

#10 ·
It's all true the CRD will cost you more up front and repairs can be more expensive than for the Hemi. Nevertheless I would buy another one if it was in the budget.

I love the pulling power and the economy, and I don't need to go 95 miles an hour (no need to see the inside of a jail more than once!)

#17 ·
Decided 08 is for me. Out of these two specifically the 08 is a world different than the 07. I can't say if its just these two vehicles lives or the actual model year differences but the 08 interior and driving style trumps the 07s CRD and transfer case advantages. Thanks for everyone's input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.