2007 CRD Timing chain rattle? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2007 CRD Timing chain rattle?

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #61
tleeming

Breckman99
Thanks for the update.
I finally talked my local Merc. dealer into listening to the Jeep today. His written response was:
"Does have some valve train noise but nothing excessive, checked our service bulletins but found nothing that compared, customer should just monitor for now"

So, I must say I don't feel particularly relieved of my concerns!
I do have some Bardahl diesel additive and after reading the other forum thread I may try that.

tleeming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #62
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleeming View Post
Breckman99
Thanks for the update.
I finally talked my local Merc. dealer into listening to the Jeep today. His written response was:
"Does have some valve train noise but nothing excessive, checked our service bulletins but found nothing that compared, customer should just monitor for now"

So, I must say I don't feel particularly relieved of my concerns!
I do have some Bardahl diesel additive and after reading the other forum thread I may try that.
It sounds like some of these additives can really help quiet things down.
Please keep us unto date on it.
good luck

08 CRD @ 163,000
OME HD Lift about 3"
4xGuard Rails
Stillens
AEV Wheels 5.75 BS
JBA UCA's
GSA 255/75/17 32.1" (no bolt cut/no pinch weld)
spare 265/70/17 stock location
Lockpic, 100,000 club
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #63
tleeming

Well, I have run the Jeep with Bardahl additive and 2 cycle TCW-3 and can report no change in the rattle. In between all this I had a fuel leak which resulted in the fuel rail and feeder tube being replaced to the tune of $2000.
I'm thinking it's time for a change of vehicle.
Tony
Unread 08-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #64
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleeming View Post
Well, I have run the Jeep with Bardahl additive and 2 cycle TCW-3 and can report no change in the rattle. In between all this I had a fuel leak which resulted in the fuel rail and feeder tube being replaced to the tune of $2000.
I'm thinking it's time for a change of vehicle.
Tony
interesting, so what happened? did you get the old parts back to have a look at what failed?
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #65
tleeming

I did have a good look at the rail and tube and could not see anything....I assume there I a very high pressure so probably the connection thread on one of them was leaking.All is well for now!
Tony
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #66
suzieque
2008 WK 

thanks tony, if it's not to much trouble, could you post a pic of the failed parts? or did they already end up in the trash?
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #67
tleeming

Suzieque

Photos of the replaced fuel rail and pipe as requested.
You can see some corrosion on the rail.
Jeep is going in tomorrow for a second opinion on the "rattle"
Tony
img_6583.jpg

img_6584.jpg

img_6586.jpg

Unread 09-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #68
breckman99
2007 WK 

Tony,

Its too bad you are having so much trouble with that Jeep. I wonder what caused the corrosion on the fuel rail? Do you frequent snowmelt applied roads with salt or magnesium chloride? That is worrisome, another fault to watch out for.

Has your rattle changed at all? Since reclocking the CP3 pump gear mine has not increased in intensity or changed when it is active, still a light tick a idle and the rattle above 1100 rpm or so. If you will recall the tick at idle was not present prior to changing the pump relationship with the engine, also intensity was slightly reduced. This fact alone has me a bit uneasy with the conclusion that the noise was caused by the bypass solenoid, and may indicate a trouble in one of the three displacement piston chambers/assemblies. I still have not stopped by the Bosch injection shop to find out for sure, dreading the bill if it is the worst case.
breckman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #69
tleeming

Re: the fuel rail...the tech connect info the mechanic gave me says " high pressure fuel lines deliver fuel under extreme pressure from the injector pump to the fuel rail and from the fuel rail to the fuel injectors. This pressure may be as high as 1600 bar..23,200psi"!!! So it may be just engine vibration wearing out the threads on the supply tube.

But back to the engine rattle...sorry to have been off topic on this thread.

I took the Jeep into another dealer and got a second opinion.
Even hearing my video he was not sure what I was getting at!!
Anyway, we ran the car and he finally heard it. Suggested that is either valve train lifters or timing chain guides/tensioners.
He advised he had never stripped down a JGC diesel engine yet. So, I guess I just drive it!
I'm still thinking of at least re-placing the tensioner. I have read on the forum that Mercedes increased the length of the tensioner by 5mm. So, if I order a new one, I want to make sure I get the longer one. The two part nos. I have are:
642 050 03 11
68017937AA
I think these are the same part..does anyone know if the part no. changed with the longer one?

Thanks guys.. as ever,
Tony
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #70
tleeming

Regarding the part nos. I posted for the chain tensioner. As suspected, the two part nos. are the same.
The parts man at the dealership advised that the number is correct and has not been superceded.
So, maybe the change came on a Mercedes model vehicle??
Tony
Unread 11-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #71
tleeming

Hi, I have I finally replaced my timing chain tensioner. Shipped from the US the total cost was $100 as against $246 from my local dealer.
Whoever posted the pics on how to do it, thanks.
As expected there was no change in the rattle, but the part I removed did not have full range on the spring when you pushed it back, not that would have made a difference.
So, I'm on the road pulling my 6000 lb trailer to Mexico again with fingers crossed that if anything happens it will happen in the US.
Emptying the tube below my Provent CC filter is a daily job now as when towing, the flow from the crankcase must be huge.
Chou for now
Tony
Unread 11-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #72
tleeming

Well 5000 kms later and we have reached our destination in Mexico. The timing chain is still rattling, maybe a little more.
After reading about the new diesel JGC I realize I am not going to be able to bring it down here until Mexico has ULSD.
So, considering I have just turned 100,000kms I think it will keep it and get the timing chain rattle fixed if it gets us home in April 14

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.