2007 CRD Remote Start Question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 11-18-2008, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
bpurcell

2007 CRD Remote Start Question

Hi there,

I'm a 2007 CRD Grand Cherokee owner and new to this forum. I'm coming into my second winter here in Canada and again starting to regret not ordering the remote start kit at the time of purchase.

My question is that I've been told by my dealership that there is an issue with remote starters on the Grand Cherokee CRD, something to do with issues with the glow plugs. I find this hard to believe as I'm sure many out there have the remote start option. I've also read, as part of my research, that most if not all of them have a delay built in to allow the glow plugs to do their thing.

Anybody out there hear of such an issue/complaint?

Regards
Brian.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-18-2008, 07:15 PM
TonyVideo

2008 WK 

It was my impression that the engine will not crank until the glow plugs have warmed up.

Tony
2008 GC 3.0L CRD Limited, ProVent Installed, Clear Bra, Scangauge
1999 GC 4.0L Larado
1985 Jeep Larado 4.0L Sold
post #3 of 18 Old 11-18-2008, 10:07 PM
TheTrot

Since the Diesel is probably a straight transfer over from the European version there is no option for remote start in the PCM.

In Europe (and someone can correct me if I am wrong) remote start is basically illegal. No Chrysler cars in Europe have it as an option (even the gas ones). So the PCM was originally designed just for BUX (that's what Chrysler calls non NAFTA cars) cars and thus doesn't have remote start capability.

So you could get remote start keys, enable it in the WIN/WCM, and enable it in the FCM. But the PCM would still ignore the request.

post #4 of 18 Old 11-19-2008, 05:43 AM
MacCherokee
2008 WK 

I have the Factory Remote start on my 08 Limited CRD. It works perfect. It waits for the glow plugs to cycle then it starts the truck.

It is a Canadian model as I live in Canada.

Cheers,

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrot View Post
Since the Diesel is probably a straight transfer over from the European version there is no option for remote start in the PCM.

In Europe (and someone can correct me if I am wrong) remote start is basically illegal. No Chrysler cars in Europe have it as an option (even the gas ones). So the PCM was originally designed just for BUX (that's what Chrysler calls non NAFTA cars) cars and thus doesn't have remote start capability.

So you could get remote start keys, enable it in the WIN/WCM, and enable it in the FCM. But the PCM would still ignore the request.

08 GC CRD Limited
06 Volvo V50 T5 AWD

Your direct access to Canada/US Dealer-only Auctions

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 Old 11-19-2008, 06:31 AM
basthen
2007 WK 

@ TonyVideo : just for your knowledge the engine will crank even if the glow plugs are not done.

I bought the mopar remote starter kit and have an option for delay 30secs the remote start (glow plugs). I am not done with the install yet as I can't get a valid tach signal. Chrysler want around 450 CAN to do the install. I'll wait.

There is more info on a topic called "diesel remote start". Can't find the link right now, I'm on my blackberry right now.
post #6 of 18 Old 11-19-2008, 06:50 AM
no-blue-screen
2008 WK 

I don't beleive it was available on 07 models. For 2008 it is standard on Limited and Overland CRD models:

http://www.wkjeeps.com/2008_intro.htm

I couldn't find any data for it on the 07 models, but the 07 models used a regular key instead of the Fobik that the 08 has. Remote start should not be an issue on the diesel at all....maybe a 3-5 second delay for glow and then fire it up.

SOLD 2008 WK CRD Limited 4x4 - Jeep Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 18 Old 11-19-2008, 09:06 AM
TheTrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCherokee View Post
I have the Factory Remote start on my 08 Limited CRD. It works perfect. It waits for the glow plugs to cycle then it starts the truck.

It is a Canadian model as I live in Canada.

Cheers,
Hmm, then they added it for 2008. Bosch must not have been happy about that Change Request. Especially with the volume being still BUX models which don't have it.
post #8 of 18 Old 11-19-2008, 09:32 AM
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2015 WK 

In the USA, the remote start became standard on Limited & Overland starting in 08, regardless of engine.

I have it on my 08 CRD, its one of the reasons I waited to get an 08 instead of 07.

For me it works just as MacCherokee says "perfect".

Just need to get the seat heaters to go on with it!

2015 WK II 5.7 Overland, Offroad Group II,- 2008 WK Limited 3.0 CRD, - 2003 WJ Laredo 4.7, - 2001 WJ Laredo 4.0, - 1999 WJ Limited 4.7-
post #9 of 18 Old 11-19-2008, 07:22 PM
TonyVideo

2008 WK 

Basten: I meant when you use the remote start the engine will not crank until after the glow plugs heat up. When you use the key direct you have to wait until the indicator goes out. Am I wrong on the remote start?

Tony
1999 GC 4.0L Larado
post #10 of 18 Old 11-19-2008, 08:17 PM
basthen
2007 WK 

Like I said, I didn't finish the install yet as I can't find the wire for the tach. But in the install manual there is an option to delay the crank of 30 sec for diesel engines it says. From justforjeeps I bought:

2005-2007 Grand Cherokee

1A. Remote start module kit (for 2005-2007 Grand Cherokee): Contains the base electronics module for under-dash mounting and a complete fuse kit. Use with installation kit below. Cannot be used on vehicles with Mopar's EVS Security Systems. P/N 82208859AB. MSRP: $70.75

1B. Remote start installation kit (for 2005-2007 Grand Cherokee): Includes harness, long-range antenna, key transponder interface, software cartridge, hood tilt switch, two mini one-button keyfobs, install and operating instructions and hardware. Use with module kit above. P/N 82208994AG. MSRP: $210

Infos from wkjeeps. If somebody did the install I sure would like to have a few tips. I continued an existing thread here.
post #11 of 18 Old 11-19-2008, 10:25 PM
bobholthaus
2007 WK 

I added mopar remote to my 07 CRD with no problem. in fact, Chrysler paid for it (see thread below about this). the remote fob is not part of the key. when you hit the button, horn honks and lights flash, then 30 seconds later the jeep starts. really only need about 3 seconds for the glow plugs, but they gave it the optional 30 second delay expressly for the crd. works like a charm. they upgraded me to the 2 way version that lets me know the car is running... I love it. works flawlessly. yes, wished I could get the seat heaters to come on when it starts.

'14 GC Overland Diesel
post #12 of 18 Old 11-20-2008, 10:32 PM
fatfreddy
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by basthen View Post
@ TonyVideo : just for your knowledge the engine will crank even if the glow plugs are not done.

I bought the mopar remote starter kit and have an option for delay 30secs the remote start (glow plugs). I am not done with the install yet as I can't get a valid tach signal. Chrysler want around 450 CAN to do the install. I'll wait.

There is more info on a topic called "diesel remote start". Can't find the link right now, I'm on my blackberry right now.
If you can't find a tach signal hook the remote start tach lead wire to an injecter.All it needs is a pulse signal to tell the remote the engine is running.I had to use the injecter pulse to make the remote work on a reviouse Jeep I owned.
post #13 of 18 Old 11-21-2008, 09:07 AM
JeepCRD

I have a 2007 CRD and called Chrysler Customer Service and complained that my window sticker showed a remote start and my CRD did not have one. They told me since its on the window sticker it has to be on the car. They called the dealer and had them install it for FREE. It actually has a 30 second delay for the glow plugs. I've had it in for over a year and it works great.
post #14 of 18 Old 11-21-2008, 10:03 AM
TonyVideo

2008 WK 

Mine never waits 30 seconds to start. It is not consistently the same time duration. I would guess it has to do with the temperature or it is waiting on the glow plugs to fully heat up.

Tony
1999 GC 4.0L Larado
post #15 of 18 Old 11-21-2008, 03:00 PM
sabre364
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVideo View Post
Mine never waits 30 seconds to start. It is not consistently the same time duration. I would guess it has to do with the temperature or it is waiting on the glow plugs to fully heat up.
I always thought all of the starting sequences for the CRD was based on letting the computer decide how long the glow plugs needed to warm up for?

I guess the 30 second thing is standard on some of the CRD remote starts? And this method is on others?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.