2007 3.7l Starter/Terminal Location - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2007 3.7l Starter/Terminal Location

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 10-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
markjgc

2007 3.7l Starter/Terminal Location

Hello, Could someone please explain to me where the starter/wire terminal is located? Is is possible to check on the wire terminal for corrosion?
I have the power no start issue and I'm desperately trying to locate the yellow wire for possible corrosion before calling for tow and paying $500++ for new starter etc.. when it could well be corrosion on terminal. I have just experienced this issue for the first time this morning. Any and all help greatly appreciated. Thanks

markjgc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
JKM
2005 WK 

corrosion is in the crimp at the terminal. Very hard to see, especially on the truck. Crawl underneath and move the wire around. If it starts, then this is likely your problem. You will need to put it up on jackstands or ramps to crawl under there. It's the yellow wire to goes to the starter solenoid (on the starter).
JKM is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
t3kmitch
2005 WK 

If you're asking where the location is in terms of the body, it's driver's side accessible (barely) from the bottom. My lift makes it a little easier to get under, so I don't know if you actually do need ramps or jackstands, but I just get out and crawl right under behind the wheel well. You'll see a drive shaft and follow that to the front until it ends and it should be near that, just above. Just in case you don't know what a starter looks like just google image it and you'll get the idea. My yellow wire is the only one that has any play in it so I found it that way.

Don't know how kosher it is but after having to crawl under a couple times I got under and wiggled and wd-40'd it a bit. Been working steady since then. I plan on doing a permanent fix in the near future, just haven't been able to find time between work and school.

Edit: After googling a bit it seems WD-40 isn't the best to use on electrical connections. Works as a temporary fix but leaves a film that collects dust effectively insulating rather than conducting. I still stand by my WD-40 since I plan on replacing the terminal in the near future, but if you're looking for a long term fix I can't necessarily recommend wd-40.
Blue WK Club Member #32
t3kmitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #4
t3kmitch
2005 WK 

I was cleaning up my connection a bit better today and took a couple pictures to show the general location. This would be where you reach it just to get it started in a parking lot or something, there's a little better access underneath the factory skid/plastic protector. You can see the red wire in the second picture, the yellow one is right next to it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Blue WK Club Member #32
t3kmitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
markjgc

Thank you for your detailed information/description regarding the location of the starter. Although I was able to visually find the starter from under the truck, I could not for the life of me reach it with a single finger! You mentioned "This would be where you reach it just to get it started in a parking lot or something"... I found the only way I could even reach it with a long handled screw drive was through the wheel well cover after raising up on jack and removing tire and cover. I did discover that just by tapping on the Yellow wire connection a few times I was able to start it right up. So, I am assuming that its not a bad starter but a corrosion issue on the connection. I know I can fix this and or replace the whole starter if I need to but how in the world can you even access it without removing everything in its way? Thanks again!

"I was cleaning up my connection a bit better today and took a couple pictures to show the general location. This would be where you reach it just to get it started in a parking lot or something, there's a little better access underneath the factory skid/plastic protector."
markjgc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
JKM
2005 WK 

take the plastic skid plate off (4 bolts) that covers the bottom of the motor. When I did mine I raised the front end on axle stands, crawled underneath and got my arms up in there around the exhaust. Make sure to let the motor cool so you don't burn yourself on the exhaust. The current connector has a tab you need to press on to release the connector. It's a pain so take your time and wiggle it while pressing on the tab. May come off easy or you may need to play with it for a bit. Plan a few hours and a few breaks for your sanity. Would be much easier on a lift
JKM is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
07WKLtd
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3kmitch View Post
I was cleaning up my connection a bit better today and took a couple pictures to show the general location. This would be where you reach it just to get it started in a parking lot or something, there's a little better access underneath the factory skid/plastic protector. You can see the red wire in the second picture, the yellow one is right next to it.

Many thanks for the writeup & pictures.

I read this last night and thought to myself "good to know".

About an hour ago my wife ran out to grab a gallon of milk & called me from the store to say the Jeep wouldn't start. Full power, and no cranking as described by others. I was a little hesitant at first as I couldn't see a yellow wire - just the red one with two others in wire loom right next to it. Gave it a couple of taps without luck, but then managed to move it about an inch, and after that the Jeep started right back up.

Of course it was pouring rain the whole time, so that was just delightful.

Anyhow, here's to hoping it doesn't happen again before I can get it to the shop on Monday. Oh, and I've got the 4.7L, so it's the same issue as the 3.7L
07WKLtd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
Train

Great info! I have got that problem and now am back on the road! I have removed the clip using plyers after trying doing that by hand. Certainly this is the way to go. Scrabed the contact with sandpaper and put the clip back in place. I have then used ignition/contact sealer to protect the contact for the future. I hope that is it - for years to come. Thanks a lot!
Train is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
magneticred
2008 WK 

Few pics here too:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/s...ssues-1177959/
magneticred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.