2006 WK Stereo Upgrade Plans - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2006 WK Stereo Upgrade Plans

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 08-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
shudog
2012 WK 

2006 WK Stereo Upgrade Plans

I'm in the midst of planning my stereo upgrade. Currently has the base non-navigation Boston setup. I hate the deck and the speakers. Aiming for a midgrade setup, nothing high end.

Planning to have the door speakers run off the new deck and was thinking of disconnecting the front dash speakers and just going to 3-way full range speakers in the doors to keep things balanced. I had this setup in my '98 ZJ and was very happy. With an aftermarket deck, I'm not sure how I'd run the fronts otherwise. Either way, I definitely want the front door speakers to be full range, because right now I hate the muffled sound they put out.

Also definitely doing sound deadening in the doors at the same time. Can't stand how much road noise comes through on this vehicle.

For the front door speakers, any thoughts on replacing them with a 6x9 size or something more like a 6.5" round? Or is the quality of the speaker more important than the size?

shudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
BillyZim
2006 WK 

Not sure if you knew it or not. You can get a double din bezel to upgrade your single. Here's one on ebay.
BTW... I may be looking to sell my REC radio from mine. It's in perfect shape. (it has the backup cam pinout).
Will work great with mygig. Good luck man.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Grand-C...sories&vxp=mtr
Unread 08-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
shudog
2012 WK 

Yes I'm definitely going to upgrade to the double din size, thanks for the ebay link to the new dash surround piece.

Any thoughts on front speaker sizes?

How about tips on retaining steering wheel stereo controls? Just buy the adaptor from Crutchfield along with everything else?
Unread 08-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
BillyZim
2006 WK 

I'm still researching a new stereo. I did read that you can keep the steering wheel controls with this...

Not sure about the speakers.
Unread 08-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
shudog
2012 WK 

so I checked in the back cargo area and found the amp back there, guess I do have the Boston Acoustic system after all. Kinda disappointed by this actually. Was really hoping to power the 4 door speakers directly from a high output aftermarket head unit
Unread 08-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
dsjr2006
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shudog
so I checked in the back cargo area and found the amp back there, guess I do have the Boston Acoustic system after all. Kinda disappointed by this actually. Was really hoping to power the 4 door speakers directly from a high output aftermarket head unit
There is no such thing as a high output headunit. Even an Alpine with the power pak added has less power than the Boston stock amp.

05-08 WK Service Manual PDF: [url]http://bit.ly/VxI9z0[/url]
dsjr2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 06:01 AM   #7
shudog
2012 WK 

^I get that. Sorry if my post was confusing.

Let me rephrase, if I ditch the stock deck and go to an aftermarket head unit, will that allow the front door speakers to become full range? Or is the crossover which keeps those speakers lower frequency woofers built into the factory amp somehow?
Unread 08-29-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
JRLT
2010 WK 

You can get passive crossovers that you splice inline with your speaker wires but they wouldn't be adjustable, they would have a set frequency and crossover slope. They do that all of the time in the 1-50 watt class at car audio competitions. run 5-7 speakers(including sub) off of one amp and the whole thing is ran off of passive crossovers.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #9
shudog
2012 WK 

well this thread isn't really getting what I was looking for I guess. Seems like the best route to go after replacing all the speakers with upgraded aftermarket ones is to run RCA cables back to the factory amp location, replace that with a decent 4 channel setup to run all four door speakers and probably run the dash speakers off the head unit. May not deliver the highest quality, but I'm sure it'll sound a heck of a lot better than now and I'll get much more sound out of the aftermarket speakers with an aftermarket amp.

One question with going this route, if I ran RCA cables from a new head unit back to the factory amp location, then switched out the amp, could I still get away with using the factory speaker wires?
Unread 08-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
dsjr2006
2006 WK 

Quote:
^I get that. Sorry if my post was confusing.

Let me rephrase, if I ditch the stock deck and go to an aftermarket head unit, will that allow the front door speakers to become full range? Or is the crossover which keeps those speakers lower frequency woofers built into the factory amp somehow?
The front door speakers are all ready being provided more range than they can handle from the factory. Just upgrading the speakers to a two-way or 3 would be a major improvement.

Unread 08-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #11
dsjr2006
2006 WK 

Quote:
well this thread isn't really getting what I was looking for I guess. Seems like the best route to go after replacing all the speakers with upgraded aftermarket ones is to run RCA cables back to the factory amp location, replace that with a decent 4 channel setup to run all four door speakers and probably run the dash speakers off the head unit. May not deliver the highest quality, but I'm sure it'll sound a heck of a lot better than now and I'll get much more sound out of the aftermarket speakers with an aftermarket amp.

One question with going this route, if I ran RCA cables from a new head unit back to the factory amp location, then switched out the amp, could I still get away with using the factory speaker wires?
That's actually exactly what I did. I tapped the new amp into the existing wiring because it didn't want to deal with the grommets on the doors. They aren't like anything I've worked on before and you can't just run wire through since its a plug.

I have no issues so far.

Unread 08-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #12
shudog
2012 WK 

Did you have to run a new switchable power wire to the new amp? What head unit are you using? Where did you run your RCA cables?
Unread 08-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #13
dsjr2006
2006 WK 

Quote:
Did you have to run a new switchable power wire to the new amp? What head unit are you using? Where did you run your RCA cables?
Power wire is required just like any other aftermarket amp, and amp remote is run from headunit which is a Pioneer AppRadio2, I ran 6 channel RCA cables to the rear down the driver side (should've been passenger). I chose to run 6ch because I also plan on switching to a Alpine headunit with 6ch preout instead of 4ch. Power & RCA should be on opposite sides of the car to avoid interference.

Unread 09-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #14
shudog
2012 WK 

Looking at this more closely, seems like the Kicker upgrade offers everything I'm looking for at a much lower price and simple installation: upgraded speakers, more powerful amp... I can always upgrade the head unit down the road
Unread 09-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #15
dsjr2006
2006 WK 

Quote:
Looking at this more closely, seems like the Kicker upgrade offers everything I'm looking for at a much lower price and simple installation: upgraded speakers, more powerful amp... I can always upgrade the head unit down the road
It is certainly much easier. If I were you I would do the speakers first since that will make the biggest difference. My understanding is that the amp has the same output only with the added surround sound feature.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.