2006 WK Door locks/Alarm WCB problems - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 09-18-2017, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
68Scout

2006 WK Door locks/Alarm WCM problems

I know this has been covered before but I'm looking for clarity and a definitive answer.

Problem:

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.7 liter (without Remote Start feature):

The Alarm/Panic button features on both factory keys stopped working at the same time recently, the batteries in both in keys have been replaced (first thing I tried) yet still don't work.

Alarm WILL "set", "red" Alarm dash light will blink using "Lock" button on driver's door and alarm WILL sound if door is opened. Both keys WILL shut off alarm when inserted in ignition switch (key doesn't have to be turned/engine doesn't need to be "started" to shut off alarm) but won't deactivate alarm using buttons on key.

I have NO problems starting the engine with either of my two factory keys.

Ignition switch was replaced last year under recall and that's when the problem first surfaced ie. alarm only being able to be "set" once a day, as time went on the issue gradually disappeared (approx a month or two) and the alarm could be turned "On" and "Off" a dozen or more times a day with no problems. Fast forward a year to today and the Alarm cannot be set with either of the two (2) factory keys, all under-hood fuses have been checked with Test Light including the 40 amp and are "Good".

What are my options here?

Is it a trip to the dealer?

Does the system need to be "flashed" or "reset"?

Is it the WCM (SKREEM?) that's defective and is that attached to the ignition switch? If "yes" where is the best (quality & price) place online to get the necessary parts? Please provide link and Part# if possible? I prefer to perform the repair myself, hell I have all the tools necessary to do the job.

If I do replace the WCM (SKREEM) will I have to "program" my existing "factory" (originals) keys?

If I ignore the whole issue and leave it like it is will my existing (original) factory keys just stop working and not start the engine at some point? I know from reading earlier threads some have had issues with keys NOT starting engines.

This crap is driving me crazy, forty (40) years working on lawnmowers, motorcycles, cars, with a thirty (30) year career as a bus/coach mechanic and foreman and I'm at a loss as to what exactly is going on with this alarm system.

Any assistance in rectifying this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by 68Scout; 09-19-2017 at 12:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-19-2017, 07:13 AM
Nejeep

Have you tried a system reset by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes?
How old is your battery? These WKs seem to do strange things when the the battery starts getting weak.

06 Laredo - 4x4 V6 - Stone White - Custom LED Cargo Area Lights, Lighted Visors Added - now at 49k miles

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
post #3 of 3 Old 09-19-2017, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
68Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nejeep View Post
Have you tried a system reset by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes?
How old is your battery? These WKs seem to do strange things when the the battery starts getting weak.
Thank you for the reply and questions.

(1) I disconnected the battery (Ground side) and let the vehicle sit for over an hour yesterday while replacing spark plugs then reconnected it, system did NOT "reset" though mileage counters/trip time/MPG display etc. all "reset" and are at "zero".

(2) Battery in vehicle was replaced last year, I had NO problems with alarm immediately prior to battery replacement or afterward until recently.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.