2006 WK Brake Pads Sticking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2006 WK Brake Pads Sticking

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
cherrybomb05
2010 JK Wrangler 

2006 WK Brake Pads Sticking

I just started hearing the noise Sunday night. It sounds like the pads aren't completely coming off the rotors. Same thing happened again today. I washed it( went wheeling a week ago ) thinking there could have been some mud that might have fallen in there. The noise went away on the way to the car wash. Haven't heard it since, but the rotors are still very hot even after a 10 minute drive. I'm not sure what is the problem, does anyone have any ideas?

cherrybomb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Sticking caliper. one or both of the pistons is siezing. fairly common problem . if you drive for 10-15 min and your spit sizzles on the rotor , it's pretty much a guarantee . You can try buying a rebuild kit or taking them apart and cleaning , but for me it's easier and quicker just to replace it .
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
jbarrett
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yea definitely sounds like a caliper issue. Doesn't hurt to try and clean the pistons and everything. If you use disc brake quiet, I've seen guys who seem to think that it's a good idea to cover the WHOLE backside of the pad, and all this does is attract all kinds of dirt and other junk that can gum up your calipers. I would try and clean them myself first, but like vzjwk said, it's no chore to just go ahead and replace them if you want.
jbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
JRLT
2010 WK 

What would be a good replacement caliper or even an upgrade?
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
cherrybomb05
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'm going to try to take the wheels off tonight and clean around the area. Should the rotors be too hot to touch after a 2 mile drive? 35-50mph. I drove home from work and I checked on the rotors and the ones I touched were too hot to touch.
Unread 11-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
cherrybomb05
2010 JK Wrangler 

Tried driving my other WK and the same thing - brakes were too hot to touch. I tried the spit suggestion. It didn't crackle, so I'm thinking it was just some dirt/mud screwing with my brakes.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.